• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Engelland experiment needs to stop

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad enough when he's a dman but to put him at forward is beyond stupid. Rather see Megna , Gibbons, or Uher get called up than see Engelland playing forward.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's horrible - there are much better options for them

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's horrible - there are much better options for them

Yeah, it's like take one of our least skilled dmen and make him play an even more skilled position. I don't mind him on the 3rd defensive paring, but this is a case of Disco inserting a goon in the game for the sake of inserting a goon.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really?! You are worried about Engelland? He has one less goal than Malkintent who only gets his points on the PP...

Fuck Malkin!

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really?! You are worried about Engelland? He has one less goal than Malkintent who only gets his points on the PP...

Fuck Malkin!

Yes scouty, it takes away a roster spot from someone more talented. I don't see how it makes sense to have a dman who can't even play dman to play forward.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with both of you, their problems are bigger than Engelland but his roster spot could be used for something that can spark something into this team. A career AHL'er is not the answer when you have young forwards in the system that could benefit from the time. Look what Megna did in 6 games....

The only benefit I can see to Engelland is the 7th d-man who gets scratched every night until an injury occurs but that role has been taken by Bortuzzo so he is even more irrelevant than before.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please...Mengna...he was hot for a moment and where is he now...same with Kobasew...Empty roster space gets filled by POS Bortuzzo types

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please...Mengna...he was hot for a moment and where is he now...same with Kobasew...Empty roster space gets filled by POS Bortuzzo types

Is Megna hurt? Because I never saw his play visibly drop off. I'd rather have him out there than D'agostini for sure.

But yea I agree about Engelland, I don't mind the swing man 7th D/4th line forward in theory, especially if he has some fighting ability, which is better served as a forward. But if that is your plan, you can't also have Glass and Adams in there on a regular basis.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kobasew has for sure fallen off, but how do you hate on Megna? Even if he's not scoring a goal every game, he's always making stuff happen.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes scouty, it takes away a roster spot from someone more talented. I don't see how it makes sense to have a dman who can't even play dman to play forward.

Well we have a Dman who thinks he's a forward...

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least Tang can play forward. I wouldn't mind making Tang a winger and calling up Brendan Mikkelson from WBS.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least Tang can play forward. I wouldn't mind making Tang a winger and calling up Brendan Mikkelson from WBS.

Letang needs to wise up. While I understand what Scouty is referring to with Letang, moving him out of a top pairing D role is not the answer. He has too much speed/skating ability and stick handling prowess to take him away from his position.

What he really needs to do more than anything is remain focused and not get agitated so easily. That is when he's most prone to mistakes and he's easily knocked off his game by 3rd/4th line goons who get in his kitchen.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Letang needs to wise up. While I understand what Scouty is referring to with Letang, moving him out of a top pairing D role is not the answer. He has too much speed/skating ability and stick handling prowess to take him away from his position.

What he really needs to do more than anything is remain focused and not get agitated so easily. That is when he's most prone to mistakes and he's easily knocked off his game by 3rd/4th line goons who get in his kitchen.

If he can't run the point which he hasn't been able to do since he got back, I think Tang needs to be a winger until he gets his game back.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he can't run the point which he hasn't been able to do since he got back, I think Tang needs to be a winger until he gets his game back.

With the injuries to Martin and Scuderi, moving Letang to a wing just won't happen right now. If there was a major weakness on the top two lines at the wing, maybe you could entertain this thought. Being realistic though, I don't see this happening, not after he just signed the largest contract in team history for a defenseman. They are paying him all that cheese to be a TOI monster and to run one of the two special teams units. You can't take that away from him, IMO.

I'm more than willing to be patient with Letang. He has a very rare skill set for d-man in this league. What I really think he needs to work on, as I said in my previous post, is his focus. He gets knocked off his game to easily by antics of lesser opponents who know he can be baited into stupid situations/penalties.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Letang he is getting paid way too much for way too long to move to a wing. They really need him to play defense but unfortunately his game requires a good defensive D-man with him. Orpik is NOT that anymore and with Scuderi out he will be exposed. Because Bortuzzo, Martin, Niskanen or Maatta are not good pairings for Letang.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the injuries to Martin and Scuderi, moving Letang to a wing just won't happen right now. If there was a major weakness on the top two lines at the wing, maybe you could entertain this thought. Being realistic though, I don't see this happening, not after he just signed the largest contract in team history for a defenseman. They are paying him all that cheese to be a TOI monster and to run one of the two special teams units. You can't take that away from him, IMO.

I'm more than willing to be patient with Letang. He has a very rare skill set for d-man in this league. What I really think he needs to work on, as I said in my previous post, is his focus. He gets knocked off his game to easily by antics of lesser opponents who know he can be baited into stupid situations/penalties.

You're probably right, but I wouldn't mind experimenting with guys like Despres, Dumoulin, Harrington, or Pouliot about now. I don't think we have to be desperate at the blue line just because we got some injuries. We have a ton of depth and have the ability to experiment with prospects.

Oh wait, we're the Penguins, NVM.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree, I don't think moving him to wing is really an answer to anything. They either need to develop his talent as a d-man, focus is a good point. Or they need to move him.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was all about Tang until he signed that contract. While Kuni & Dup gave us a discount , Tang did not. So glad we didn't give him the NTC he wanted. Really don't think we should've given so much to Tang with our defensive pipeline.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've had it with Deryk Engelland. He was responsible for the first goal allowed last night by not advancing on Schenn in front of the net, and instead let him pick his spot 10 feet in front of the goal. Not surprisingly, Engo took a bad hooking call in the second that eventually led to the game winning goal, as well.

This guy is simply not capable of playing defense in the NHL. It is really that simple. It seems like every time he is on the ice they're getting hemmed in their own zone. It is no surprise Bylsma has shifted him to wing when the healthy bodies on the blue line allow for it.

What is most concerning to me is the coaching staff not recognizing the glaring issue with this guy. He's not an NHL caliber D-man. It's really that simple. Call Despres back up, or give Dum a shot, because Engelland does not warrant a roster spot on this team.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many years do you give Letang to develop into a Dman??? Lordy! you don't pay someone top $ to develop! Make him a winger. Pull up kids from below to play D and let Engelland walk or take Tanner Glass' spot