• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Emory University professor Mike Lewis says Patriots beat Cowboys for 'best' fans

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I am going much farther. I am arguing no such meaningful difference exists (at least among American sports fans) where the norms as so different there'd be a different result from being "better" or more "loyal" fans. It's not a question of degree- it's a question of if it even exists. Sure, individuals and all, but it's muted as a group. Economics, background, weather, etc all play roles here.

With Pittsburgh for instance there was a diaspora relating to the decline of, ironically, the steel industry. Then of course with the NFL mass media there's inevitably some plain ole bandwagoners since the Steelers have won a whole crap ton of games since the merger.

This same framework works with cultural practices.

I think you are missing the point on some of what I am saying. I do think that some fanbases are more loyal. Green Bay is a great example as there is nothing that really competes with them up there. So whether they are good or bad they are going to have fans supporting them because there is not much else to support. Compare that with a New York or now LA and such where there are many more games in town and they can go with whichever one is more successful at that time. Then I would say look at the culture of the state such as Texas is a great example where football makes just about every person's list of top-3 things in their life...Usually goes 1) God 2) Family and 3 Football. So because football means so much to so many even if the teams stink they are still going to find great support. Houston is having to rebuild a bit since the team left town for a while so it takes a bit to rebuild the fanbase.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are missing the point on some of what I am saying. I do think that some fanbases are more loyal. Green Bay is a great example as there is nothing that really competes with them up there. So whether they are good or bad they are going to have fans supporting them because there is not much else to support. Compare that with a New York or now LA and such where there are many more games in town and they can go with whichever one is more successful at that time. Then I would say look at the culture of the state such as Texas is a great example where football makes just about every person's list of top-3 things in their life...Usually goes 1) God 2) Family and 3 Football. So because football means so much to so many even if the teams stink they are still going to find great support. Houston is having to rebuild a bit since the team left town for a while so it takes a bit to rebuild the fanbase.
You say they are more loyal, I say "loyalty" is relative to the surroundings, nothing more, nothing less. Or in other words- there's no meaningful difference. I don't think the examples you cite are as convincing as you make them out to be. I question the existence of "loyalty" as it currently is presented.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You say they are more loyal, I say "loyalty" is relative to the surroundings, nothing more, nothing less. Or in other words- there's no meaningful difference. I don't think the examples you cite are as convincing as you make them out to be.

And see I think part of our problem is a difference in definition. I factor in all those things like surroundings and such to the equation of being loyal in the sense that I know they play a factor in it but honestly that is always going to factor into things. Just like with Green Bay and the Midwest in general in people are bigger football fans because well there are a lot more smaller communities in this area and football is a huge part of every community. So that means loyalty to NFL teams will be too. Cities you have more options. That doesn't in my opinion take away from loyalty though just because it is a part of the culture that a person has grown up in. It is part of who they are and what they have been taught from a young age. I mean I remember running hills as a 5-year old and having to go catch a thousand footballs before I was allowed to go in for Supper when I went to go see my grandparents. I remember during basketball season having to make 100 free throws before I was allowed to leave the court. Sports are ingrained in people more so in certain areas of the country helping them to become more avid fans when it comes to who they cheer for.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with Moose, fans are pretty much the same. It's all the other factors that play in to having a good fan base. Winning is of course the no brainier. However it goes beyond that, playing up to a fan base base carries some weight. By that I mean trying to keep things fun for the fans, despite not being a winner.
At the end the fan base depends on how smart and good the ownership is. Give me really bad ownership ( both in winning and not trying) over a extended time and I will show you a disinterested fan base

Let's face it, folks all over the nation move from here to there. People who were born in Texas, may end up living in California or Rhode Island. Migration is a constant in the nation and any one fan base is a mixed stew from all over.
Just my :2cents:.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Cowboy fan I hope this is taken objectively and not as a anti-Pats comment:
The Patriots probably have the absolute worst fans in the NFL by a lot and the Cowboys are probably the 2nd worst.
Define worst?

realityball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta just say ... as a pats fan enjoying their success, especially the 2007 reg season and then watching Detroit the next season go winless gave me respect for those fans ... I don't care if they got a fraction of the numbers, but how can they not be the best fans ... ever?

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with you. There is nothing in GB especially in the winter. Don't get me wrong. I'd gladly go see another game there. The fans are aewsome. However, the local economy r*pes you during the weekend. Budget hotels are even outrageously priced.
Then look at Texas. The fans live and breath HS, college and NFL football. I guess you'd have to. Otherwise how do you explain them following Jerrah and all those convicts (players) the way they do?

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta just say ... as a pats fan enjoying their success, especially the 2007 reg season and then watching Detroit the next season go winless gave me respect for those fans ... I don't care if they got a fraction of the numbers, but how can they not be the best fans ... ever?
Ask fans from Cleveland?

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Be that as it may- I am not terribly convinced it's much different if you swapped Philly residents and Wisconsin residents from the 70's and 80's. It's all relative.

If all the Packer season ticket holders which is the full stadium cancelled there tickets it would not matter as there are 81,000 people on the Packer season ticket waiting list with an capacity of about 80,000.

So it would be filled up again but with all new people

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with you. There is nothing in GB especially in the winter. Don't get me wrong. I'd gladly go see another game there. The fans are aewsome. However, the local economy r*pes you during the weekend. Budget hotels are even outrageously priced.
Then look at Texas. The fans live and breath HS, college and NFL football. I guess you'd have to. Otherwise how do you explain them following Jerrah and all those convicts (players) the way they do?

I hear ya on the hotels as they get filled up for the season within a 50 mile radius pretty much the day the schedule comes out and most of the ones closer to Green Bay make you stay 2 nights. I am glad I am only 2 1/2 hours away.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If all the Packer season ticket holders which is the full stadium cancelled there tickets it would not matter as there are 81,000 people on the Packer season ticket waiting list with an capacity of about 80,000.

So it would be filled up again but with all new people
You say this as if I give a hoot or am supposed to be impressed.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You say this as if I give a hoot or am supposed to be impressed.

Well when very few are given up each year and people at the end of the list have to wait over 900 years to get some in my opinion is shows loyalty. When a Packer season ticket holder dies his family will take it over and it does not go to someone on the waiting list. So there is loyalty within the season ticket holders and when a few do come up there are over 80,000 waiting for them.

Packers season tickets worth the wait - 955 years for some on the list

Packers season tickets worth the wait - 955 years for some on the list

When there are away Packer games go look on stub hub right now and you will see at every Packer away game that the ticket prices are the highest for that teams homes games when the Packers play them because of the national following and loyalty the Packer fans have following the team.

I am looking to go to the first game in Jacksonville and the lowest price nose bleed ticket is at $127. The next highest lowest price home game for Jax is like $85 for the Indy game. Indy declined to play the Pack in England this year because they didnt want to give up a home sell out game because of the Packer fans that attend. They dont want to lose that extra income.

If we look at week 2 at the Vikings the nose bleed seats start at $265 for the lowest price seat. When the great cowboy fan base comes to play at the Vikes later in the year the lowest price ticket is $108.

It goes by supply and demand and demand is great for Packer games across the country and the ticket prices show that.

Loyalty has something to do with this and it has been this way in good and bad times

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These types of studies with multiple WTF variables always come out with result that make you say WTF. Fans know their place for the most part. The Packers, Steelers, Cheifs, etc have no place outside the top 10.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess this guy didn't go to the Eagles Patriots Super Bowl. We were chanting HOME GAME cause it was 85% Eagle fans.
Plus they are one of those backwards cities that like baseball more then football. No way are they #1

At least we are not #1 in puking quarterbacks!
upload_2016-7-14_7-55-33.png

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least we are not #1 in puking quarterbacks!
View attachment 137311

I always felt bad for McNabb he got sooo much undeserved grief. When he threw up in the SB Bruschi blitzed the middle and hit him with a helmet to helmet tackle. People made up this myth that he was choking but always forget he made a gorgeous 40 yard TD pass a few plays later to bring Philly back within 3 points. He led them on a 80 plus yard TD drive when he puked.

Next the Santa thing made sense. It was the last game of the year and we won the previous week. If we lost either of the last two games we got OJ Simpson. They won the last two, lost out on OJ and the fans were furious. A drunk Santa stumbled down the sidelines and they lit him up. Makes perfect sense in my brain.