• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Emory University professor Mike Lewis says Patriots beat Cowboys for 'best' fans

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea why I blindly watched the Royals before 2010. That was as hopeless a team I could think of for a while.

That means you're a real fan....:thumb:..They stay through good and bad, all others are bandwagon fans....

realityball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"for factors like market size and short-term variations in performance" with social following being the final determination ...

I remember driving around Boston being laughed at because of the Patriots sticker on the bumper of my '71 Ford convertible ...

"Social following" sucked in those days ...

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"for factors like market size and short-term variations in performance" with social following being the final determination ...

I remember driving around Boston being laughed at because of the Patriots sticker on the bumper of my '71 Ford convertible ...

Were they laughing at the sticker or the car?

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What model Ford was that ? And back in the early 70's, social following meant the church picnic didn't it ?:D

realityball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1971 Ford Xl convertible, 351 Windsor, C3, baby blue, white top ... rusted rear qtr panels and under the bumper sticker ... the Patsies were laughable in the late seventies when I went to school in Btown ... but the sticker was prettier than the rust and I was a diehard even back then

convertibles were the next best thing to a church social for "socializing."

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess this guy didn't go to the Eagles Patriots Super Bowl. We were chanting HOME GAME cause it was 85% Eagle fans.
Plus they are one of those backwards cities that like baseball more then football. No way are they #1

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess this guy didn't go to the Eagles Patriots Super Bowl. We were chanting HOME GAME cause it was 85% Eagle fans.
Plus they are one of those backwards cities that like baseball more then football. No way are they #1
How'd that home game work out for you all.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe he should just measure which fan base has more mental issues

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Texans cheerleaders have a better social media following than the Texans football team.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Cowboy fan I hope this is taken objectively and not as a anti-Pats comment:
The Patriots probably have the absolute worst fans in the NFL by a lot and the Cowboys are probably the 2nd worst.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Cowboy fan I hope this is taken objectively and not as a anti-Pats comment:
The Patriots probably have the absolute worst fans in the NFL by a lot and the Cowboys are probably the 2nd worst.
Probably right, I'm the Cowboy fan who lifts Dallas from being the worst.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Eagle fans were easy here, it was the Raider fans that were the worst. FYI NE is not a city like say Philly, Balt etc so true the city of Bahston loves there Sox, other fans aren't as passionate. And I could give 2 shits about a poll about fans, they could have NE last and who cares? I don't and haven't even looked at the list

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fanbases are hilariously the same when you strip away the winning schtick for any prolonged period of time. Always cracks me up when the circlejerk contest of who has the best fan(tasy) shows up.

I remember Lambeau still selling out during the Dark Ages of the 70's and 80's

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember Lambeau still selling out during the Dark Ages of the 70's and 80's
Be that as it may- I am not terribly convinced it's much different if you swapped Philly residents and Wisconsin residents from the 70's and 80's. It's all relative.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Be that as it may- I am not terribly convinced it's much different if you swapped Philly residents and Wisconsin residents from the 70's and 80's. It's all relative.

There are certain fanbases that are more loyal. I mean look at the sell out records for some of these teams and the years upon years somebody has to wait just to get a season ticket. I mean I have no clue what the Broncos will be in 10 years but I would still be on the list of Season Tickets if I lived in Denver. A lot of those teams the big thing is that football is king and there just isn't much to compete with it. Denver has hockey, basketball, soccer, and baseball available but Broncos have always been the big ticket item whether they are good or bad.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

but, but, we never threw snowballs at Santa

that has to count for sumtin

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are certain fanbases that are more loyal.
Looking around at human behavior in things outside of sports- I don't believe that for a second at a fundamental level. There's a heavily relativistic element here. in the Emory Professor's finding it's pretty obvious he didn't make a serious attempt to make a regression analysis and hence has a bias for larger stadiums, more populous cities, and general affluence. I could post some very extreme examples of said relativism in human behavior- but I am not feeling like I want to be banned.

I'd be willing to bet someone could shred this to pieces if they worked for a stats or analytics firm. If I posted this, I'd probably fail a stats class. This is more hobby than rigorous.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking around at human behavior in things outside of sports- I don't believe that for a second at a fundamental level. There's a heavily relativistic element here. in the Emory Professor's finding it's pretty obvious he didn't make a serious attempt to make a regression analysis and hence has a bias for larger stadiums, more populous cities, and general affluence. I could post some very extreme examples of said relativism in human behavior- but I am not feeling like I want to be banned.

I'd be willing to bet someone could shred this to pieces if they worked for a stats or analytics firm. If I posted this, I'd probably fail a stats class. This is more hobby than rigorous.

I'm not saying that terams wouldn't see a drop off in fan involvement and excitement about the team if they were not winning. I'm saying there are certain fanbases that are more loyal through the good and the bad. Such as I do believe Green Bay is a great market. They don't have much competition to take fans away so the fans are extremely loyal through the good and the bad. I would say Pittsburgh is another that has fans show up all over the country and support their team well. See I don't agree with all that this person has to say but I am more just commenting on the fact that certain fanbases are more loyal through the good and the bad. Doesn't mean they don't see drop off during the bad times just means they can weather it better than some.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying that terams wouldn't see a drop off in fan involvement and excitement about the team if they were not winning. I'm saying there are certain fanbases that are more loyal through the good and the bad. Such as I do believe Green Bay is a great market. They don't have much competition to take fans away so the fans are extremely loyal through the good and the bad. I would say Pittsburgh is another that has fans show up all over the country and support their team well. See I don't agree with all that this person has to say but I am more just commenting on the fact that certain fanbases are more loyal through the good and the bad. Doesn't mean they don't see drop off during the bad times just means they can weather it better than some.

No, I am going much farther. I am arguing no such meaningful difference exists (at least among American sports fans) where the norms as so different there'd be a different result from being "better" or more "loyal" fans. It's not a question of degree- it's a question of if it even exists. Sure, individuals and all, but it's muted as a group. Economics, background, weather, etc all play roles here.

With Pittsburgh for instance there was a diaspora relating to the decline of, ironically, the steel industry. Then of course with the NFL mass media there's inevitably some plain ole bandwagoners since the Steelers have won a whole crap ton of games since the merger.

This same framework works with cultural practices.