• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Edgar!

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In other Mariners news;

Junior hired as new OF coach
RJ hired as new pitching coach
Omar hired as new infield coach
Amaral hired as new base running coach

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A pure Mariner move. Hiring legit hitters...expensive. Hiring a M's legend who makes M's fan happy...priceless.

Exactly the way I feel.

I love Edgar and I am glad he is apart of the M's. But this is the type of move this FO/ownership does. Keep the fans happy without actually winning.

Not sure how much good Edgar can do with these guys but I hope something good comes of it.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Edgar has "a little project"... Maybe he can teach these guys how to make a "Light Bat"

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if that opens the door for someone like Wilson as manager eventually. Buhner might be fun as a bench coach heh

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if that opens the door for someone like Wilson as manager eventually. Buhner might be fun as a bench coach heh

I've been rooting for Valle as a bench coach. Remember when he got plunked in Texas and charged the dugout to go after Bobby Valentine?

Good times.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had mixed reactions to this news when I heard it. Who doesn't love Edgar? I still have my ticket and newspaper from his last game. But he's being brought into a sinking ship where the problems are in areas he can't possibly impact. They have an organization that can find pitching talent, but can't find bats to save their lives.

Just to see gar on the bench will be awesome, but man I hope they don't destroy his career too.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see this as the first of, potentially, several moves to get this offense going. Just getting Edgar on-board won't be enough. Trades will have to be made and players who've gotten enough chances to figure it out will have to be DFA'd. One move I don't see happening is Zunino being sent down. As frustrating as it is to watch him try to hit, I don't see anyone in the minors right now who would be a significant enough upgrade at the plate to make up for the downgrade on defense that Zunino's replacement would provide. In other words, they're putting up with his terribleness at the plate because of his excellence behind it and they're not going to send him down in favor of a guy who makes them worse on defense without providing much of a bump on offense. We could trade for a guy who would provide the offensive bump we need without seeing the defensive side take a big hit in the process, but that person would have to be made available first and then we'd have to match the asking price. It could happen, but it's unlikely. We're just gonna have to hope that Edgar can figure out a way to get through to Zunino and stop him from providing free air conditioning to the opposing catcher all the time. I think upgrading at other positions is more likely.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you can tell guys what to do til you are blue in the face, but if they don't, or can't, do it it doesn't matter. Howard Johnson was a pretty good darn player in his day as well. I think the timing is set up for Edgar to come out looking like a prince because law of averages for these veteran hitters say they are about to turn it around IF they are ever going to turn it around this year.

Right, my point is enough of these guys can, they just weren't. And, for example, if for some reason Ho-jo's message late in a game with a guy on 3rd and less than 2 outs was "go for the big inning," or "hit the ball hard" instead of just put the bat on the ball and get the run in, a change needed to be made.

There was a little segment on MLB Net recently showing Brad Miller in an at bat just like that. He was swinging for the fences every time and ended up striking out. The analysts were baffled just like all of us have been.

All I'm saying is I hope Edgar brings a more intelligent approach to the hitters and we can see it pay off soon.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, my point is enough of these guys can, they just weren't. And, for example, if for some reason Ho-jo's message late in a game with a guy on 3rd and less than 2 outs was "go for the big inning," or "hit the ball hard" instead of just put the bat on the ball and get the run in, a change needed to be made.

There was a little segment on MLB Net recently showing Brad Miller in an at bat just like that. He was swinging for the fences every time and ended up striking out. The analysts were baffled just like all of us have been.

All I'm saying is I hope Edgar brings a more intelligent approach to the hitters and we can see it pay off soon.

Not to argue because I don't know for certain, but I can't believe a hitting coach would be in charge of calling out situations during games. He is more of a instructor during games on technique and such.

Now in your example with Miller, I would think a hitting coach would g over to him and tell him to let up and try to make contact instead of swinging for the fences.

Also, we have had 6 (Edgar being 7th) hitting coach's in Jack's tenure. At some pint you have to look at the common denominator which are the players. But I get your point on Edgar maybe bringing a more intelligent approach to the team. That I believe is the biggest influence a coach can have. Sometimes you just have to tell a player who is pressing simply 'see the ball, hit the ball'.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the idea as a Mariners fan but it doesn't seem like it is a good move IMO.

A. I hope Edgar is successful but most likely there is going to be a regime change.

B. Most ubber successful players have turned out to be bad coach's. Coaching up minor leaguers is one thing but getting guys who are under performing doesn't seem like an ideal fit as he was a guy who worked his tail off and it seems like only a few guys actually give a rip enough to work their tail off.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh great... Edgar will get Ackley turned around, then we'll trade him, and the guy will hit .325 for the next 10 years.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which players do you think Edgar will be able to help the most? And why him instead of the other hitting coaching the Mariners have had? kinda tough to say because we really don't know what these hitting coaches are telling these guys.

I think guys like Zunino and Miller should benefit from Edgar. Mostly because I think he will help them with their approach at the plate.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest, I don't think it will matter what hitting coach we bring in... The culture is what needs to be changed and it starts w/ the ownership...

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well it hasn't matter for the last 6 hitting coaches Jack has hired so...

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually did a double-take when someone told me about this yesterday. Not being able to see the games without any cable (a blessing in the case of this team), it kinda slipped past me.

It's a move that we on the forums could only dream of happening, then when it does, you start to wonder what kind of impact he'll have on these guys. I wouldn't mind if he can teach them a few things, get them into a new mindset, but considering the past decade and all the dead weight we've had at bat during that time, he's certainly got his hands full.

Welcome back, Edgar! And best of luck; you WILL need it.