• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eagles Post Game Thread

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else notice this? Still having issues scoring when inside the 20

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else notice this? Still having issues scoring when inside the 20

Very misleading in this case. They were only - barely - in this area one time when Hopkins missed the FG. They didn't settle for FGs at any other time. Also - both TD runs were just outside of the red zone. There were really no major red zone issues in this game.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very misleading in this case. They were only - barely - in this area one time when Hopkins missed the FG. They didn't settle for FGs at any other time. Also - both TD runs were just outside of the red zone. There were really no major red zone issues in this game.
The argument could be made that there were no major RZ issues because they didn't have to work with a condensed field to get most of their TDs this game.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The argument could be made that there were no major RZ issues because they didn't have to work with a condensed field to get most of their TDs this game.

Correct but you stated that they were "Still having issues scoring when inside the 20" Technically they were only inside the 20 once & they scored a TD in that case. No need to really worry about hypotheticals.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct but you stated that they were "Still having issues scoring when inside the 20" Technically they were only inside the 20 once & they scored a TD in that case. No need to really worry about hypotheticals.
Yeah, you're right. I worded it poorly. Wasn't an issue for this game.

I'll believe that RZ issues are solved when I see them punch it in more times than not when they get there.

Situation cropped up once for this game and they got it done...with a fade no less which is pretty ironic.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the hit on Celek was clean and the 2nd hit was a personal foul but not a dirty play. He was going down but so was Sproles. The way to prevent that play is to fair catch.

When did his job become to turn and see if the ball is coming? Sproles screwed up.
Pretty much my take on Everett and Sproules.

Also think it's was a young guy trying to make a play for his team. Interesting side note - Everett had 11 snaps in this game.

Last edited:

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, you're right. I worded it poorly. Wasn't an issue for this game.

I'll believe that RZ issues are solved when I see them punch it in more times than not when they get there.

Situation cropped up once for this game and they got it done...with a fade no less which is pretty ironic.

Agree. Those two TD runs provided some hope & T. Williams was a beast on the Thompson run. Insane that some folks here suggested benching or getting rid of Williams.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Lingebach - interview with Kirk

Cousins recalled his offseason workouts with Jon Gruden, his head coach’s older brother, for helping to break him of the thinking which led to this unforgiving and ultimately misconstrued interception narrative.

“As Jon Gruden told me when I went down to see him in offseason, he called me the ‘vigilante,'” Cousins said. “Because, he said, ‘You just take the law into your own hands, like you’re just gonna figure this out on your own and not play by the rules.’ So it was more of being a vigilante than it was of not being able to pick myself up.”

I think the big thing is, if you really do your homework and study my story, the whole thing is about coming back from adversity, picking yourself up, not having a lot handed to you and just keep finding a way,” he said. “So to say that, ‘Oh, can he come back,’ it’s like, well, you really don’t know me, then. You’re not someone who’s really done your homework.

“You can say that, but it doesn’t mean you know the real me. If anything, it’s, ‘Kirk, as much as you want the ball back, take a deep breath and take what they give you, and don’t try to get it all back in one play.’ And that’s what I think has happened as I’ve played longer, understood that, hey, an incompletion is okay.”

Cousins pointed to his pick-six Sunday as an example, saying, “Hey, if you throw the ball high and away and it’s incomplete, that’s okay — we can live with that. Don’t feel like you have to find a completion. And that’s where I think, as I’ve realized that and learned that, I think I’ve become a little more efficient protecting the football and keeping our offense on the field.”

“I think as a quarterback, the minute you throw an interception of any kind, especially one like a pick-six, you just want the ball back in your hands, you want that opportunity again,” Cousins said. “You say, ‘All right. They got me one time, I’m not going to let them get me again. Just get me the ball back. Get me the ball back and put the ball in my hands and we’ll find a way.’

“That’s kind of your mindset. You can’t get it back fast enough. That kickoff and kick return can’t happen fast enough. And then once we got going, we just had to hit something. Fortunately, Jamison Crowder in the seam made a big, big play for us. It was a great challenge by Coach Gruden to get it overturned and that was big for us, otherwise it would have been 3rd-and-long, backed up. And instead we’re at midfield moving and able to find a way to get down there and get Chris is the end zone.”

Of the elder Gruden, Cousins also added, “There’s no doubt that he’s entertaining. Part of the reason you go down there is not only do you come away a better football player, but I’ve got a long list of one-liners that I gather every year when I’m down there with him of phrases and turns. Half of it is just to be entertained and have some laughs and the other half is to become a better quarterback, but no, it’s straight out of a movie the way he acts and talks. You feel like you’re watching a movie, so it’s entertaining and a lot of fun. He’s one of a kind. That’s for sure.”

Speaking of narratives, it may be time to discard the ‘Cousins doesn’t take advantage of DeSean Jackson’s ability’ line. Over the past three games, Cousins has found Jackson for completions of 67, 59 and 80 yards, the latter coming in the third quarter of Sunday’s win.

“First of all, the guy’s running full speed,” Cousins noted. “If you’ve ever tried to run full speed and track a football in the air, it’s hard to do, even if it’s landing right in your lap. And then the fact that it’s over his outside shoulder and he’s able to find it, make the catch, stay on his feet.”

“He’s always been good at that,” he said. “I remember when he first showed up in 2014 in OTAs, he was doing that and we were all kind of in awe of his ability to go track the ball in the air. I don’t know that we’ve given him a ton of opportunities to where he can show that on game day, but yesterday was just a great example.

“You just look at it like, a DB is just put in a tough spot, when he also has to run full speed and try to make a play on the ball without interfering, there’s no way he has a chance to track a ball like that, so you really put yourself in an advantage as a receiver when you can do that. Boy, that’s a tough catch and he made it, and then to pull through the tackle and finish the play is just as important, because if he gets dragged down there, who knows if we finish the drive or not? Just a critical play.”

“And that’s why he’s DeSean Jackson and why he’s been such a big help to our offense now for three seasons, and why he’s been a great player in this league,” he added. “Because he does stuff like that changes games and can change seasons.”

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Jones

1. Opportunities for youngsters — Arie Kouandjio appeared to have a solid outing while starting at left guard. He wasn’t perfect, getting knocked back off the line a couple times. But he looked to have more hits than misses. He moves well and finishes blocks with aggression. Kouandjio did well on pulls to the left and right and sealed off defenders, creating running lanes (one such block came on Kelley’s touchdown run). The final three games of the season could serve as an audition for Kouandjio. No word yet on how long Shawn Lauvao could be sidelined. But with just one year left on his contract, Lauvao doesn’t seem like a long-term answer. So the Redskins will need to find a left guard to go with the long-term answers at tackle, center (Spencer Long, they hope), right guard and right tackle. Kouandjio has a chance to prove he can be that guy. . . . Other young players with a chance to prove themselves: defensive lineman Matt Ioannidis and inside linebacker Martrell Spaight. Ioannidis has rarely seen the field, but the fifth-round pick out of Temple played 13 snaps on Sunday, turning in a solid effort. He did a better job on Sunday of holding his blocks to enable the linebackers to shoot through running lanes, and on one play displayed good awareness as he engaged the guard, and then slipped off him just in time to tackle Ryan Matthews before the back slipped by for what wound up being a two-yard gain, but would have been much more with no one in position to clean up the play had Ioannidis whiffed. . . . Spaight saw his most extensive defensive action to date when Will Compton left with a knee injury. Spaight had one tackle in 38 defensive snaps. He appeared to get blocked out a number of plays, and he struggled to get off blocks and pursue the ball carrier. Spaight did seem to hang with his assignments in pass coverage. If Compton and Su’a Cravens can’t play this week because of their injuries, Spaight would seem to be in line to start. It could be an audition for the future with Compton’s contract set to expire this offseason. But Spaight has a lot to show if he wants to prove he can be more than just a special teams contributor.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worth a read

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love t
What could possibly go wrong with Preston Smith checking Darren Sproles in the open field?
I'd love to know if Gruden gave that answer with a straight face.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think we have a total of 2 stops we can get vs cam and the panthers , our offense has to put points up . we will lose if they get more then 1. 3-0 out