• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dustin's choke, cancelled out Spieth's choke.

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it was a choke. It will be a turned into an adjective. Just today I played in a foursome, and every putt missed from 5 feet or so we said we "Dustined" it. We all did it a lot too.

Anyway, Jordan Spieth pretty much went the way Jean Van De Velde. Well, he had a 3 shot lead going into the 17th. He made a horrible tee shot. He then missed a 5 foot putt for bogey which immediately brought a plethora of golfers back into it.

Really, Dustin should not have been in the position to steal it away if not for Spieth's "choke."

Of course Spieth was very clutch when he got that birdie on 18.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's only a true Dustin if you get hole high after going 600 yards using a driver and a 7 iron and then 3 putt. That's what's the real shame about it. He hit two unbelievable shots to put himself in the position to choke.

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's only a true Dustin if you get hole high after going 600 yards using a driver and a 7 iron and then 3 putt. That's what's the real shame about it. He hit two unbelievable shots to put himself in the position to choke.

True enough. Unfortunately, that will not be how it will be viewed. Doug Sanders and Scott Hoch come to mind.

giphy.gif

Doug-Sanders_1440010c.jpg

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyway, Jordan Spieth pretty much went the way Jean Van De Velde. Well, he had a 3 shot lead going into the 17th. He made a horrible tee shot. He then missed a 5 foot putt for bogey which immediately brought a plethora of golfers back into it.

Yes, he certainly did choke it away on the 17th but I don't call it quite Van De Velde esque, Yesterday's course it was very easy to mess up and both Spieth and Johnson proved that.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True enough. Unfortunately, that will not be how it will be viewed. Doug Sanders and Scott Hoch come to mind.

giphy.gif

Doug-Sanders_1440010c.jpg

They're going to be showing that missed putt as long as they put this tournament on.

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, he certainly did choke it away on the 17th but I don't call it quite Van De Velde esque, Yesterday's course it was very easy to mess up and both Spieth and Johnson proved that.

Yeah, that year at Carnoustie in 99, the complaints about how ridiculous the course was set up was epic. Unlike this week, the fairways that year at certain spots were like 10 yards wide or something.

Here are some interviews from players that year.

The Spieth drama was not QUITE the same, considering Van De Velde had the 3 shot lead with ONE hole left.

I do remember that set up that year, and it was utterly ridiculous. Shinnecock in 2004 was similar.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spieth brought a lot of players back into it, with some choking of his own, but can't even begin to pu this in the Van De Velde class...he made a putt that mattered on the 18th green so he redeemed himself before the round was even over...posted the lead in the clubhouse.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You cant put it to that level considering he won, even if he would have lost still not to that level. He was still tied after Dustin birdied 17. Then he made his birdie putt on 18 to go up 1.

Considering Spieth won and it was a very tough course, he didnt choke just had a bad hole. Dustin missed a 3 footer to send it to an 18 hole playoff. That is a classic choke!

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spieth brought a lot of players back into it, with some choking of his own, but can't even begin to pu this in the Van De Velde class...he made a putt that mattered on the 18th green so he redeemed himself before the round was even over...posted the lead in the clubhouse.

That 2nd shot from what? ..260 I think to get it on the green was what i think gave Spieth the "earned" title.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That 2nd shot from what? ..260 I think to get it on the green was what i think gave Spieth the "earned" title.

Agreed...my point was he made some shots/putts to close it out...didn't choke all the way home. Jean...choked it all the way in.

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, however if Spieth lost there may have been comparisons.

Like I mentioned, he made the come back on the 18th hole. However, he did hack that 17th hole with a 3 shot lead and included a miss from 5 feet for a double bogey.

Remember Van De Velde actually made a key putt from around 7 feet AFTER that butcher job to force the 3 man play off.

Not saying that it really redeems the choke. However, if he would have won it, it may very well have been forgotten.

Remember what Retief Goosen did? He choked unbelievably on the 18th hole in 2001, but won the next day in the play off. It was a 2 foot putt that was missed.

But no one really remembers that, cause he won. Similar to Spieth this year.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every time I hear about Van de Velde I think of this

It's funny as shit if you haven't seen it. He goes back and plays the 18th entirely with his putter.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, however if Spieth lost there may have been comparisons.

Like I mentioned, he made the come back on the 18th hole. However, he did hack that 17th hole with a 3 shot lead and included a miss from 5 feet for a double bogey.

Remember Van De Velde actually made a key putt from around 7 feet AFTER that butcher job to force the 3 man play off.

Not saying that it really redeems the choke. However, if he would have won it, it may very well have been forgotten.

Remember what Retief Goosen did? He choked unbelievably on the 18th hole in 2001, but won the next day in the play off. It was a 2 foot putt that was missed.

But no one really remembers that, cause he won. Similar to Spieth this year.

I'm sure he thought he had blown it on 17...to your point...yes, it would've drawn comparisons.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's funny as shit if you haven't seen it. He goes back and plays the 18th entirely with his putter.

That was damn funny.

And by doing this Van de Velde will always own that infamous day. Instead of it owning him.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it was a choke. It will be a turned into an adjective. Just today I played in a foursome, and every putt missed from 5 feet or so we said we "Dustined" it. We all did it a lot too.

Really, Dustin should not have been in the position to steal it away if not for Spieth's "choke."

Of course Spieth was very clutch when he got that birdie on 18.
Agreed. The fact that Johnson choked on 18 took something away from Speith's victory for me. It felt like Johnson lost it rather than Speith won it.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good on Jean for having a sense of humor about it. The video was a bit long, but I liked it nonetheless.