• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Doug Pederson?

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Howie is a rat, plain and simple.

I don't think he's a terrible personnel guy; he's really good at surrounding himself with quality scouts and evaluators, but then turns around and gets rid of them to save his own ass when they out-perform or challenge him. His body of work is average at best, and I think he gets too much credit for the one decent draft class he had so far (2012).

As long as he has anything to do or any say with personnel on this team, we will always be the M-word. I was very disappointed with Lurie for giving him MORE autonomy, rather than keeping the leash on him and bringing in someone that was brought up with an actual personnel background. I really hope this is his last chance if he fails to do anything substantial moving forward.

Pederson interviewed yesterday, the more I think about it, the more I think this is going to be our next HC. Lurie seems to want this guy really bad.

Seems to me that Pederson is just a case of firer's regret. Lurie wishes he had never fired Reid when he sees how well he has done in KC, so he is sniffing around his assistants.

Agree or disagree with firing Kelly, it does not seem like Lurie and Roseman went into this with any sort of concept or plan on what to do next.

Macho Grande

Would Sacrifice You In An Emergency
The Magumba Bar in Drambuie, off the Barbary Coast
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,889.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems to me that Pederson is just a case of firer's regret. Lurie wishes he had never fired Reid when he sees how well he has done in KC, so he is sniffing around his assistants.

I don't think he regrets it at all. The Reid tenure had run its course in Philly. He hit a wall and flamed out. Everyone could see that it was time for him to move one. Even Reid admitted as much.

I just think Lurie is hoping to recapture the winning ways of the early Reid era by going after one of his protege's.

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree or disagree with firing Kelly, it does not seem like Lurie and Roseman went into this with any sort of concept or plan on what to do next.

Lurie couldn't be anymore transparent with what he wants. I expect the minute KC is eliminated from playoff contention (or wins the SB, wouldn't that be even more of an ass-kicker to Eagle fans) Pederson will be announced to the media.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lurie couldn't be anymore transparent with what he wants. I expect the minute KC is eliminated from playoff contention (or wins the SB, wouldn't that be even more of an ass-kicker to Eagle fans) Pederson will be announced to the media.

This is anything but transparent. If Lurie simply wanted Peterson...

1. There was no need to fire Kelly a week early.
2. There was no need to interview four other guys for the job.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lurie fired Kelly then because he couldn't stand him any longer. Simple as that.

Northern Eagle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lurie is being diligent, the last search went the same way. Even if you have one or two guys prioritized over other candidates from the start, you are doing yourself a disservice by not being thorough. Firing Kelly early was trying to get an early jump on everyone else to start their search.

Deano

Mental ninja
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't find one thing about Lurie that I don't like. Seriously.

He stays out of the football operations and writes generous checks. He never seems to get overly involved in anything. He took a gutsy chance with Kelly and frankly, got everybody excited. Didn't work out, but hey...

He has my compete confidence that this team will be much better next year regardless of the head coach choice.

Northern Eagle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He stays out of the football operations and writes generous checks. He never seems to get overly involved in anything. He took a gutsy chance with Kelly and frankly, got everybody excited. Didn't work out, but hey...

He has my compete confidence that this team will be much better next year regardless of the head coach choice.

I think Lurie has always had the best intentions, I too believe he wants the best for this team and is genuine in wanting them to succeed. It's his misplaced trust in certain individuals that worries me sometimes, but I suppose that is a better option than to have an overbearing micro-manager trying to masquerade as the team's GM. Stick to your strengths and believe in the people you appoint to their positions, and hope everything works out for the best.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree!

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well put. People who think Lurie is a bad owner should look at Cleveland.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I need someone other than Mark Eckle to tell me that so i can believe it. His credibility is historically horrible.

Geoff Mosher - based on talks with people who work with Howie, know Howie, and on a personal level some of the people he spoke to actually like Howie. They pretty much all confirm what I and NE have been saying.

Howie checks a whole lot of boxes a GM ought to check (and he does them well). But his paranoia and intriguing to hold on to power undoes all of that.

BTW, you can also possibly add Lane Johnson to the non-Eckel sources that indicate Howie being paranoid and an infighter.

Note that since Howie is back in power, Lurie is suddenly very vague about the responsibilities and who is accountable for what. Funny that that only was the case with Chip, after he got Howie out (yet Howie still had the ear of Lurie).

L.Freamon

Formerly FWFW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geoff Mosher - based on talks with people who work with Howie, know Howie, and on a personal level some of the people he spoke to actually like Howie. They pretty much all confirm what I and NE have been saying.

Howie checks a whole lot of boxes a GM ought to check (and he does them well). But his paranoia and intriguing to hold on to power undoes all of that.

BTW, you can also possibly add Lane Johnson to the non-Eckel sources that indicate Howie being paranoid and an infighter.

Note that since Howie is back in power, Lurie is suddenly very vague about the responsibilities and who is accountable for what. Funny that that only was the case with Chip, after he got Howie out (yet Howie still had the ear of Lurie).
Mosher's credible. I'll keep an eye out for Howie's sinistery.

swat

Shady is the real Mccoy!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

swat

Shady is the real Mccoy!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well put. People who think Lurie is a bad owner should look at Cleveland.

He isnt bad. He just isnt great. Hes good but Im beginning to seriously doubt he is good enough to get us a SB win anytime soon. If ever.

You can blame coaches, players, executives all day long, at the end of the day....if the owner isnt 100% all in, know what he is doing as far as making the right hires & leaving his ego out of it....you most likely will always come up short.

I have almost no hope in him anymore. His head got big with all those NFCCGs. He is getting close to what Jerry is post JJ. Not far off imo.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you don't do interviews then you don't know anything about the coaching market. You are basically asking Lurie to remain ignorant of the market for his most important employee. That would be stupid.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's absurd, swat. Jerry has been in the draft room making selections.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you don't do interviews then you don't know anything about the coaching market. You are basically asking Lurie to remain ignorant of the market for his most important employee. That would be stupid.

Not suggesting they not do interviews. This was in response to the guy that said it was obvious they were hiring Peterson. If it was obvious they wouldn't be talking to other guys.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not suggesting they not do interviews. This was in response to the guy that said it was obvious they were hiring Peterson. If it was obvious they wouldn't be talking to other guys.

Somehow you missed the point. They would still be talking to other guys because it's valuable market data.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somehow you missed the point. They would still be talking to other guys because it's valuable market data.

The point of discussion was not if they should be doing interviews. The point of discussion is if it was obvious they were planning on hiring Pederson. Every day that goes by it seems more and more likely they are.

But I am still scratching my head on why they would be intent on hiring a 47 year old with exactly 5 years of NFL coaching responsibility as a QB coach or Offensive Coordinator whose offense has ranked in the 20s for the last three years. They do one 4 hour interview with the guy and he is now their choice? The guy has worked in exactly one system, and arguably produced only mediocre results everywhere he went.

I am sorry, but this reads like a total homer/buddy hire to me.