• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Does the Coaching staff trust Stafford?

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At 5-2 this looks to be like finding fault for the sake of finding fault, but I think even with a winning record Lion fans see the offense as the biggest liability on this team!

Caldwell and Lombardi have implemented a whole new game plan and it does not look like anything Stafford has ever been asked to do before. It relies on the 2-5 yard pass and run after catch. Yesterday I think the Lions had one pass completion in the first half where the ball actually was in the air for 15 yards.

At the end of last season we were all frustrated with how the Lions missed the playoffs and Matthew Stafford's turnovers were a huge part in that! As the saying goes tape don't lie!

Is it possible the coaching staff does not trust Stafford to throw the 15-25 yard down field pass? I can't remember a deep out this season.

Stafford has been a game manager this season and not a gunslinger. When the Lions were down in the 4th Quarter yesterday I saw a better mix but on a whole I have not really seen the staff let Stafford air it out. Even when Caldwell was with Indy he let Manning throw the ball around and Manning does not have Stafford's arm.

Is this a trust issue?

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw him air it out against the Giants. Tryin to think if there was another time. To be fair, he doesnt really have time to air it out, thats how bad the oline has been.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just reading that the blocking scheme that Lombardi is implementing is incredibly complex.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw him air it out against the Giants. Tryin to think if there was another time. To be fair, he doesnt really have time to air it out, thats how bad the oline has been.

I can't remember a 15 yard out cut this season. I have seen some flags or streaks on the sideline but no out cuts.

How many pick 6 did he have last season? My guess is Caldwell does not want Stafford to loose games. Maybe it works but at some point the team needs to have the defense respect the intermediate and deep routes. The Saints were all over the 2-3 yard dumps yesterday.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Early on I thought well they have played some really good front fours. This is not the case anymore. They make all front fours look good. I'm not huge Stafford guy, but this certainly plays it's part. We all watch the games. Open is not wide open in NFL. He is missing some WRs and his WRs need to make plays on some of these throws. Timing is huge in passing game whether protection or letting the routes develop. He has happy feet even when his protection is good. So IMO he can not get comfortable with this OL play.

The quirks that drive me crazy and have nothing to do with OL are his touch passes and his inaccuracy on little dump passes. JD bringing up 15-25 outs... Hell JD I agree there could be some trust issues when a 20 million dollar guy can't throw a screen pass the same way 5 out of 5 times. I am no receiver but I would have to think at times they wonder where the ball will be this time?

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Early on I thought well they have played some really good front fours. This is not the case anymore. They make all front fours look good. I'm not huge Stafford guy, but this certainly plays it's part. We all watch the games. Open is not wide open in NFL. He is missing some WRs and his WRs need to make plays on some of these throws. Timing is huge in passing game whether protection or letting the routes develop. He has happy feet even when his protection is good. So IMO he can not get comfortable with this OL play.

The quirks that drive me crazy and have nothing to do with OL are his touch passes and his inaccuracy on little dump passes. JD bringing up 15-25 outs... Hell JD I agree there could be some trust issues when a 20 million dollar guy can't throw a screen pass the same way 5 out of 5 times. I am no receiver but I would have to think at times they wonder where the ball will be this time?

I agree, ive had about enough of staffords shit passes. Speaking of olines, saints oline is fucking impressive.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't remember a 15 yard out cut this season. I have seen some flags or streaks on the sideline but no out cuts.

How many pick 6 did he have last season? My guess is Caldwell does not want Stafford to loose games. Maybe it works but at some point the team needs to have the defense respect the intermediate and deep routes. The Saints were all over the 2-3 yard dumps yesterday.

I mentioned elsewhere that CJ plays part in this. They are crowding the box. Now is the time to go deeper. The OL protection does not afford it though.

Half way through the season so not understanding the scheme should not be a excuse. Teams take away the strong points and force you beat them with less. CJ is our strong point. So when Tate can have huge games without CJ. What happens when he comes back?

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell JD I agree there could be some trust issues when a 20 million dollar guy can't throw a screen pass the same way 5 out of 5 times. I am no receiver but I would have to think at times they wonder where the ball will be this time?

I have not seen much of the sidearm shit so far. And in reality playing close games hurt Stafford's numbers. When the Lions get far behind they started to air it out and made for some pretty good stat lines.

Although I think the O-Line is struggling I think the Lions could make some changes to give Stafford more time. The fullback, Pettigrew staying home, and running 3 person routes. I honestly think the Lions don't care about the pressure because they are calling 2-5 yard routes that get the ball out of his hand in 2 seconds.

Stafford's pick six was a common theme last season my guess is they are trying to make him more like Dilfer and less like Cutler.

Maybe it's getting to far in the weeds on an issue where the team is 5-2 but damn I can't see how a poor offense can keep winning.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, ive had about enough of staffords shit passes. Speaking of olines, saints oline is fucking impressive.

They were for about 56 minutes. Then the Lions defense pressured the every living fuck out of Bree's.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mentioned elsewhere that CJ plays part in this. They are crowding the box. Now is the time to go deeper. The OL protection does not afford it though.

Even with CJ healthy he was getting mostly slants and WR screen type of plays. Can't argue teams need to keep a safety over the top when he is healthy but a threat is only a threat if you are willing to use it.

But do you think Caldwell does not trust him to throw it downfield?

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just reading that the blocking scheme that Lombardi is implementing is incredibly complex.

I mentioned it in another thread that Sims was let go from Seattle because he could not block Carroll's scheme. Maybe Sims is a one trick pony and getting anything other than zone blocking is not possible. But if Lombardi wanted to give Stafford more time Collins would line up in the backfield more often.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poor offense can keep winning from a stellar defense. I will keep taking the W's but at some point the offense needs to click if there are any hopes of this defense beating playoffs teams.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were for about 56 minutes. Then the Lions defense pressured the every living fuck out of Bree's.

Thats just a testament to how fucking good the lions defense is, not an insult to the saints offensive line.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey gandy, isnt david price signed thru next year?

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mentioned it in another thread that Sims was let go from Seattle because he could not block Carroll's scheme. Maybe Sims is a one trick pony and getting anything other than zone blocking is not possible. But if Lombardi wanted to give Stafford more time Collins would line up in the backfield more often.

Collins actually has great hands to. So eventually a chip block and dump off pays big rewards.

So Collins picks up the whiff block by Dom. Who gets the other guy?

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The zone blocking scheme worked well for our O line, and Stafford last year. That happened. This year every lineman plays musical chairs, shuffles around, does 3 jumping jacks, and spins 4 times before they block anyone per the scheme. Simplify. Get back to what worked.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats just a testament to how fucking good the lions defense is, not an insult to the saints offensive line.

True true. Bree's has always had decent OL. Mainly his guards funny enough. Read something one time about being short and his passing lanes and how he loves to step up constantly. Who needs a LT when Drew is playing.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Half way through the season so not understanding the scheme should not be a excuse. Teams take away the strong points and force you beat them with less. CJ is our strong point. So when Tate can have huge games without CJ. What happens when he comes back?

Well currently tate is matching up against a teams number one CB. When CJ comes back he will draw the number one CB and a double team quite often which should also open up holes in the front seven for quick passes to bush, a better running game and finding their TES in the middle of the field. CJ alone should be able to open up the entire offense. This is why hes an MVP. The offense should do very well upon his return. He will make bush, pettigrew, ebron and fuller that much better.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Collins actually has great hands to. So eventually a chip block and dump off pays big rewards.

So Collins picks up the whiff block by Dom. Who gets the other guy?

But Dom wants to play another season.