• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL Does Phillip Rivers ever win a super bowl??

Does Phillip Rivers ever win a super bowl?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he was drafted by the Steelers he would have. Some guys land in a spot where they don't have much chance. Happens.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he was drafted by the Steelers he would have. Some guys land in a spot where they don't have much chance. Happens.

36939136.jpg

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rivers would have rings with a lot of teams by now... He just happened to get stuck with the Chargers.

Maybe, but Rivers has to own the '06 to '09 window, plus they had several 9-7 teams thereafter that had playoff caliber talent, but maybe not enough to win it all.

Now...the ship has sailed...the prudent move would have been to let him go to a more competitive team instead of extending him.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I notice there is a lot of Rivers hate out of Pittsburgh. Why is that?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hated the guy when he first started with the Chargers.

As time has gone on I have actually grown to respect the guy. Plays with a lot of passion and even when a terrible team surrounds him still keeps fighting every week. For him though he is with a bad franchise that is void of enough talent to win the whole thing. He is also stuck in a pretty tough division so even making the playoffs doesn't look very promising in the near future for him. I honestly do hope that he gets a chance with another team before his skills completely erode but doesn't look like that will happen.

LaserJock

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
River is a tough Football player. He has had chances, but in the end his own play loss a few of those chances.

At this stage of his career and the current level of his teams abilities, I don't see it happing in the next 3 years.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Rivers. He got screwed by the family of Manning, Manning & Manning. Nope it ain't happening for him unless something crazy happens with his contract and he departs SD.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That ship sailed. I think he only probably had 2-3 Super Bowl caliber rosters in his career. Defense wins super bowls.

A better question: does Aaron Rodgers win any more Super Bowls?

At this point in the thread I think it is pretty obvious most think his chances are around 0% to win another Super Bowl. I do really like this 2nd question though for discussion. I think he wins one more. Maybe he has a playoff run that just lines up for him and the Packers. Most likely he makes the playoffs almost every single season so the odds go way up just by making the playoffs every year.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point in the thread I think it is pretty obvious most think his chances are around 0% to win another Super Bowl. I do really like this 2nd question though for discussion. I think he wins one more. Maybe he has a playoff run that just lines up for him and the Packers. Most likely he makes the playoffs almost every single season so the odds go way up just by making the playoffs every year.
I don't think Rivers is around 0%. I think its closer to about 5% or so. Heck, I'd only put Tom Brady at about 33%.

It seems like there are only about 5 teams every year that have the roster that can actually win a Super Bowl and we don't really know who they were until after the season. For Rivers to be on one of those teams, you're talking about his whole oline staying healthy, the Chargers run D stepping up and Melvin Gordon turning into Todd Gurley while every one of the Chargers key players including Rivers stays healthy. Not at all something I'd bet on but probably only slightly more unlikely than Tony Romo winning it all.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Rivers is around 0%. I think its closer to about 5% or so. Heck, I'd only put Tom Brady at about 33%.

It seems like there are only about 5 teams every year that have the roster that can actually win a Super Bowl and we don't really know who they were until after the season. For Rivers to be on one of those teams, you're talking about his whole oline staying healthy, the Chargers run D stepping up and Melvin Gordon turning into Todd Gurley while every one of the Chargers key players including Rivers stays healthy. Not at all something I'd bet on but probably only slightly more unlikely than Tony Romo winning it all.

My problem for Rivers is that even if all those players stay healthy I still don't think they have the roster to quite even be a playoff team. The defense just is lacking quite a bit of talent. I like some of their pieces on defense but I mean we are talking they would need Bosa to rise to All-Pro level day 1 to make that defense look good. When they can't even get him signed I'm having a hard time seeing that happen.

So then that means another year gone and Rivers another year older. While yes technically he has a chance I just can't look at ownership, coaching, and the roster and see them all of a sudden making all these great decisions that build a championship caliber roster while Rivers is still good enough to be a huge contributor.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone mentioned earlier and I agree the lack of FA transactions hamper GB. This year will be interesting to see how GB does. Jordy and Lacy back. No more BJ Ragi...? If I had to bet today I'll take the odds and say no. Winning a SB is tough so no disrespect to GB, I'm just taking the odds.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone mentioned earlier and I agree the lack of FA transactions hamper GB. This year will be interesting to see how GB does. Jordy and Lacy back. No more BJ Ragi...? If I had to bet today I'll take the odds and say no. Winning a SB is tough so no disrespect to GB, I'm just taking the odds.

Few things...

1) I do agree that Green Bay not going outside their own roster very often honestly hampers them big time. I understand plenty of teams overspend on FA's and have it blow up in their face but we have also seen most teams that win the Super Bowl have a key FA come in that pays off big time or even quite a few of them. So can't ignore something that can actually help make your roster better.

2) Having those guys back we will have to see. Can't really hurt having them back considering the huge drop off in production last year with Jordy gone and Lacy trying to eat his way out of the league. Jordy back I think will be huge but I just need to actually see it on the field with Lacy. Every year we hear of players getting into the best shape of their life then going out and doing what they have always done.

3) I agree winning the Super Bowl is tough. I just think with the number of productive years most likely left in Rodger's career, the fact that they make it to the playoffs almost every single season, and that there are just those times things line up well for a team that Rodgers stands a very good chance to get 1 more. Wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't win another as we have seen plenty of GREAT QB's only win the one or not even win one. Still I like his chances as much as anyone still in the league to get another one.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious, he was semi-the #1 overall pick via trade.........one of the big 3 from that draft class, and the only one without a ring, good stats, but lacks the ring

He is certainly talented enough to, if they can ever get good players and coaches at the same time he will....
I'd be rooting for him, fierce competitor but classy guy.....

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is certainly talented enough to, if they can ever get good players and coaches at the same time he will....
I'd be rooting for him, fierce competitor but classy guy.....
he had a 14-2 squad ,

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he had a 14-2 squad ,

How long ago and how many times ?????....It seems to me that when he has the O , the D is a mess, or there's another HC change and reshuffling....
Clearly the losing there is not on Rivers, he's respected around the league as one of the top qb's...