• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Does a rip-off get more blatant than this?

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not that it needs posting, but doesn't it sound a little bit like this?

And I liked Stapleton's stuff until now. Just can't respect this sort of thing.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep....that's pretty lame.

But I wonder if he got the green light from Robbie Robertson to do that?

Seems to me he should've if he didn't...and I'm not even sure R.R. would've given it to him had he asked.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interestingly though, Stapleton has previously covered "The Weight"....

From the song's wiki:

"The Weight" has become a modern standard, and hence has been performed by many artists, including Little Feat, the Chambers Brothers, Eric Church, Chris Stapleton, Stoney LaRue, The Staple Singers, Waylon Jennings, Joe Cocker, Travis, Grateful Dead, Blues Traveler, New Riders of the Purple Sage, O.A.R., Edwin McCain, the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, the Black Crowes, Spooky Tooth, Hanson, Old Crow Medicine Show, Panic! at the Disco, Shannon Curfman, Aretha Franklin, Joan Osborne, John Denver, Trampled by Turtles, Cassandra Wilson, Miranda Lambert, Al Kooper and Mike Bloomfield, Deana Carter, New Madrid, Dionne Warwick and Gillian Welch. Mumford & Sons, RatDog and Bob Weir are also known to cover this song from time to time. Additional notable versions are by Zac Brown Band, Hoyt Axton, Lee Ann Womack, Smith, Weezer, the Allman Brothers Band, the Marshall Tucker Band, Free Wild, Brian Fallon and Aaron Pritchett.[26]

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not that it needs posting, but doesn't it sound a little bit like this?

And I liked Stapleton's stuff until now. Just can't respect this sort of thing.

I guess the rights were sold shortly after this new song was released with all the other stuff Dylan owned in his catalogue (he owned the rights for the album apparently because he produced it) for 300 mill so I'd have to guess no. And they don't give Stapleton song writing credit on the album. If you're going to jack a song then jacking one of the most iconic songs of its era probably a poor decision. I read somewhere that album's rights are worth 6 figures on a good year and the bulk of it has to be from The Weight.