• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Do You Want To Know How Stupid Networks Are?

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In total number or percentage? I find it extremely hard to believe that the 107th largest city in the nation from a population standpoint has more total viewers than any other city. Percentage-wise means nothing in the context of this discussion.

I don't know. All I know is that Birmingham has been the top local market pretty much every year this century.

What's a larger viewership? 40% of the Birmingham market or 12% of the Atlanta market? I don't know, because I'm not sure of the population of either. But Birmingham by a pretty wide margin has been the top local market.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know. All I know is that Birmingham has been the top local market pretty much every year this century.

What's a larger viewership? 40% of the Birmingham market or 12% of the Atlanta market? I don't know, because I'm not sure of the population of either. But Birmingham by a pretty wide margin has been the top local market.
12% of the Atlanta metro area would be 713,994 people. 40% of the Birmingham metro area is 460,720.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Birmingham is one of the largest viewing college football markets and you were pretty much quarantined to capture the majority of that market twice for the last games of the season (because guess what Auburn and Alabama fans watch each other’s bowl games).

It’s stupid to play them at the exact same time. To be honest these bowl games should be spread out more period. We shouldn’t have to choose.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Birmingham is one of the largest viewing college football markets and you were pretty much quarantined to capture the majority of that market twice for the last games of the season (because guess what Auburn and Alabama fans watch each other’s bowl games).

It’s stupid to play them at the exact same time. To be honest these bowl games should be spread out more period. We shouldn’t have to choose.
Dude, it's New Year's Day. The whole country watches football. The stations don't have to change things around to appease a mid-range population state. They're going to have plenty of viewers all around the nation.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, so Texas has over twice the amount of college football fans than Alabama
giphy.gif

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In the grand scheme of TV ratings, Birmingham means jack shit.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the grand scheme of TV ratings, Birmingham means jack shit.

LOL, you are retarded. Birmingham has been the #1 TV market for ESPN college football 18 of the last 19 years. The one outlier being 2001 when Columbus was the #1 market.

Birmingham is the 43rd largest tv market, with 679,550 households but it hovered right around 6.0 ratings points for the last several years for ESPN college football.

By contrast, Los Angeles is a huge tv market(5.276, 600), but has never been above 1.5.

Portland, Oregon was a better TV market for ESPN with 2.0 last year, but despite being almost twice the size of the Birmingham TV market(Portland 1.14M), it still means they watched 1/3 as much college football.

In fact, in terms of college football viewers for ESPN, Birmingham is a more important market than Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Portland combined....but yeah, Birmingham means jack shit, LOL.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, you are retarded. Birmingham has been the #1 TV market for ESPN college football 18 of the last 19 years. The one outlier being 2001 when Columbus was the #1 market.

Birmingham is the 43rd largest tv market, with 679,550 households but it hovered right around 6.0 ratings points for the last several years for ESPN college football.

By contrast, Los Angeles is a huge tv market(5.276, 600), but has never been above 1.5.

Portland, Oregon was a better TV market for ESPN with 2.0 last year, but despite being almost twice the size of the Birmingham TV market(Portland 1.14M), it still means they watched 1/3 as much college football.

In fact, in terms of college football viewers for ESPN, Birmingham is a more important market than Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Portland combined....but yeah, Birmingham means jack shit, LOL.

Guarantee there are more college football viewers in LA than Birmingham. The percentage of viewers in a small market like Birmingham is irrelevant.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guarantee there are more college football viewers in LA than Birmingham. The percentage of viewers in a small market like Birmingham is irrelevant.

The LA media market is 5.2M, the Birmingham media market is 679k. For the Clemson Alabama game last year, Birmingham had a 56.6 rating, Los Angeles had 7.2 rating. I'd don't know how well you math, but that would be 384,000 households viewing the Championship game in Birmingham and 379,000 viewing in Los Angeles...which market is irrelevant again?

LA might be a tv market that is 8 times bigger than Birmingham, but it is not an 8 times bigger college football market...not by a long shot. We're not talking about American Idol or Glee here.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, it's New Year's Day. The whole country watches football. The stations don't have to change things around to appease a mid-range population state. They're going to have plenty of viewers all around the nation.
This is the kind of thinking that produces mediocrity.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, so Texas has over twice the amount of college football fans than Alabama
I don't know why...cuz a lot of our teams pretty much suck. Especially mine.

OrangeAfroMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's being ignored here is future potential. Birmingham is topped out. You could have huge growth in the larger markets - if there's a resurgent USC or if Kelly does anything crazy at UCLA, etc.....Birmingham is a certainty, it's in their pocket.
You don't keep recruiting a kid that's already signed with you, ya know?

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These idiots think that Alabama or Auburn going up against the Rose Bowl later in the day would be better for the networks.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These idiots think that Alabama or Auburn going up against the Rose Bowl later in the day would be better for the networks.

Nice strawman...The only idiot I've seen even mentioning running it against the Rose Bowl is you.

There is however, two games starting at 1pm Eastern and the Rose Bowl is at 5 pm. The 4 games on Jan 1 could have been staggered between ESPN and ABC so that at least part of the two early games didn't overlap.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice strawman...The only idiot I've seen even mentioning running it against the Rose Bowl is you.

There is however, two games starting at 1pm Eastern and the Rose Bowl is at 5 pm. The 4 games on Jan 1 could have been staggered between ESPN and ABC so that at least part of the two early games didn't overlap.

ESPN isn't going to cannibalize the Rose Bowl or the Sugar Bowl. Try again.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That would be impossible, given that the Outback Bowl (Auburn) and the Rose Bowl had both inked contracts with ESPN.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's being ignored here is future potential. Birmingham is topped out. You could have huge growth in the larger markets - if there's a resurgent USC or if Kelly does anything crazy at UCLA, etc.....Birmingham is a certainty, it's in their pocket.
You don't keep recruiting a kid that's already signed with you, ya know?

I hope Mullen has the same recruiting philosophy that you do, that Florida Tranfer Portal will be like the teleportation deck on Star Trek.

Companies that ignore their existing customer base to pursue new ones are equally foolish.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sugar Bowl is a pheg bowl. Seriously who the fvck plays a bowl game inside a dome other than phegs.

The PAC12 CCG will be in a dome going forward. Fortunately, you'll never have to see your team in that game.