• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL Division Tie: H2H?

Should season series winner settle a tie?

• Yes.

• No. Play game #163

Results are only viewable after voting.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you do what you can to make this more interesting. Having these games today is a consolation prize for us fans whose teams fucked away the season. Either way, this is a win for the sport, which is hugely in need a transfusion of excitement. Unless you think adjusting the Velco on batting gloves is a thrill catcher.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two teams play one hundred sixty-two games. They're tied. You give one team the division title based on the outcome of nineteen of those games. Regardless of anything else, if you can't see that you would be weighing those nineteen games more heavily than the other 143, you are seriously too stupid for me to continue this discussion with.

You're saying that you think all 162 games count, but if two teams are tied then these specific 19 games count for more than the others, but that you wouldn't be weighting those games. At best, that's a conflicting statement.

If you want to say, "yes, if two teams are tied after 162, I'm willing to weight their H2H games more heavily," I'd have no problem with your opinion. I wouldn't agree with it, but it wouldn't be retarded.

Every other sports does it and it works and there's never any complaints about it. No reason why the MLB can't do it as well.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no pro cubs position. Dunce. What is said here today doesn’t affect anything.

It’s a debate between two ideas. The whole point ya to argue thx issue.

You took the position that argues the Cubs should win the division since the Cubs have the better head to head record, did you not? You don't need to explicitly say Cubs in your post for everyone to know you took the stance that would favor the Cubs if it were the rule (hence the pro-Cubs position).

At least it's not as bad as you trying to compare Sandberg's OPS+ to Jeter's while completely ignoring that Jeter played much longer (which has an effect on OPS+).

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every other sports does it and it works and there's never any complaints about it. No reason why the MLB can't do it as well.

So your argument's gone from "I'm not weighting those games more heavily than the other," to "well, so I am weighting those games more heavily, but all the other sports do it."

As long as everyone's clear on that, we can move on.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So your argument's gone from "I'm not weighting those games more heavily than the other," to "well, so I am weighting those games more heavily, but all the other sports do it."

As long as everyone's clear on that, we can move on.

No, I'm weighting the H2H/Division W-L records secondary to the initial 162 games. If teams aren't tied, they don't matter. Only time they matter is in a tie, which then they are used secondarily to the 162, just like in the NFL, NBA and NHL.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I'm weighting the H2H/Division W-L records secondary to the initial 162 games. If teams aren't tied, they don't matter. Only time they matter is in a tie, which then they are used secondarily to the 162, just like in the NFL, NBA and NHL.

Are you wearing velcro shoes?

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you wearing velcro shoes?

Nope, loafers.

What I'm suggesting is not weighting more than the 162 because the 162 matters first and foremost. If I were weighting them more than the 162 games, I would be saying division record is all that matters, doesn't matter what their overall regular season record is. That's not at all what I'm saying.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, loafers.

What I'm suggesting is not weighting more than the 162 because the 162 matters first and foremost. If I were weighting them more than the 162 games, I would be saying division record is all that matters, doesn't matter what their overall regular season record is. That's not at all what I'm saying.

Probably rocking a digital watch.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You took the position that argues the Cubs should win the division since the Cubs have the better head to head record, did you not? You don't need to explicitly say Cubs in your post for everyone to know you took the stance that would favor the Cubs if it were the rule (hence the pro-Cubs position).

At least it's not as bad as you trying to compare Sandberg's OPS+ to Jeter's while completely ignoring that Jeter played much longer (which has an effect on OPS+).
Who gives a shit if it helps the cubs this year. Even if it changed, there’s no reason is would help any other year. Can you argue the salient point, or are you just this stupid?

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, loafers.

They are weighed first. That’s why you can even get INTO the tie breaker.

Then AFTER you weigh them all the same, you can look at NINETEEN games played between the two franchises.

NINETEEN games played between us MORE THAN a sufficient and fair way to settle a tie breaker

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are weighed first. That’s why you can even get INTO the tie breaker.

Then AFTER you weigh them all the same, you can look at NINETEEN games played between the two franchises.

NINETEEN games played between us MORE THAN a sufficient and fair way to settle a tie breaker

Apparently they need a 20th game, I suppose.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who gives a shit if it helps the cubs this year.

You do....if the Cubs weren't involved in this situation, the likelihood of you caring/creating a thread decreases significantly. :nod:

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do....if the Cubs weren't involved in this situation, the likelihood of you caring/creating a thread decreases significantly. :nod:
Ok. You’re just a dunce. I can move on.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok. You’re just a dunce. I can move on.

PeskyLeadingFlamingo-small.gif

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash