• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Differed compensation for athletes

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, the salary of our head coach and staff says otherwise. And the fact that we just had donors send an entire football team to Europe for the 2nd time in a row....

If we had lost to Florida, as many times as you folks have lost to
Ohio St, this century, we would have sent them all...one way.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think maybe the players should pay the schools more. Not many football teams have an issue filling their rosters, so the players are obviously wanting to play for them.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not doing the math, but Alabama spent 20 million more than Michigan, which is like 40% more or something.

And it also spends 14 million more than 2nd place.

Hell Texas is way down at 19 and they only spend 6 million less than Michigan.

If you can't see the gap, then whatever - I don't really expect much from you anyway. The point is and was - Alabama/Saban will spend the money, everyone else won't. All that money you see there in the numbers now is largely spent on the players.
Again, expenses change year to year. Alabama might be throwing more money at football now days but the benefits of doing so could be seen as minimal. By that, I mean if paying players were truly a thing I don't think Michigan would have a problem shelling out the money. Just like we don't have a problem shelling out the money for a coaching staff. When you look at the budget for normal things, most teams in the top 10 don't have a problem spending money on a the major things. The $20 million dollars more Bama spends is due to a variety of minor things.

Where does the money go in Alabama's $174.3 million athletics revenue

Like:

• Support staff salaries up $784,530 to $3.7 million. The specific number of support staffers was not listed
  • $4 million bonus paid to Nick Saban on May 22 as part of his new contract.
  • $8.0 million (Cotton Bowl, CFP championship in Arizona) (meanwhile Michigan spent $2 million on the cotton bowl that year) -- just not the national championship game.
Point being, if and when the opportunity comes along to pay a Nick Saban $4 million dollar bonuses or spend $8 million to send the team to the national title, Michigan won't have a problem doing so. But the money Bama spent to do so isn't really differentiating themselves from anyone else. Just in two lines, 60% of the differential can be explained and is spent on things other teams don't have an opportunity to spend on. When it comes to spending money on coaching staff, recruiting, facilities, tuition, team expenses and so on -- Michigan and Alabama are almost equal.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me these athletes should receive some sort of compensation, especially given how big college football is in the US.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too dumb to spend my time on.
It would be if you just read that out of context snippet.

If you look at coaching salaries, Alabama spent $5,995,000 on assistant coaches in 2017 -- UM spent $5,645,000. There are only 3 teams that spent over $5 million on assistant coaching pay. Clemson is the other one. So, again, when it comes down to spending the money on specific things that are important, Michigan doesn't have a problem doing so.