• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Differed compensation for athletes

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean, like, that grey area of getting his shit pushed in by his rivals and not being able to beat any team with a pulse?

You mean that kind of grey area? If so, I totally agree.
Sleep overs, going to highly recruited high schools to have spring practice, satellite camps, fake “study abroad” trips paid for by boosters.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do these payments differ again? What do they differ from?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most are really being compensated fairly well. The vast majority who will not go to the next level get a free or greatly discounted college education. They also get to be a minor celebrity in the region which makes getting a good job easier. I deal with a sales rep who played for Bobby Knight at IU. He was a career 2 pts a game player. Didn't finish college. Even he admits that he got the well paying job he has due to playing at IU. I bet 4down20 would agree that a former Bama player would have no issue getting a job in the state of Alabama, even if he was a role player.

I'm sure they all do. Hell my highschool coach was fucking terrible and probably had the worst record of any highschool headcoach in history. But here he was the HC of a 6A(highest at the time in Alabama) school and all kinds of other bullshit just because he played QB for Alabama and Bear back in the 60's. We won like 1 game a year....against the team he coached before our school.

And that is what he did my entire life. He was the HC of the varsity team even when I was in 2nd grade at a different school. I don't think he ever had success, but he had no problem getting hired as a HC over and over.

But even without that, the "poor college football player" is a total myth. They get over $20,000 a year in cash from grants, payouts and other things, all legit. That's why they have decent cars while not "working". And that's not counting the housing(which they can get cash for directly if not in the dorm), food, coaching, scholarship and everything else.

I seen where Alabama spends about $125,000 per player per year.

All the while it's the schools that generate the money and interest. Which is why there is no development football league out there paying billions to these kids.

It's all bullshit.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure they all do. Hell my highschool coach was fucking terrible and probably had the worst record of any highschool headcoach in history. But here he was the HC of a 6A(highest at the time in Alabama) school and all kinds of other bullshit just because he played QB for Alabama and Bear back in the 60's. We won like 1 game a year....against the team he coached before our school.

And that is what he did my entire life. He was the HC of the varsity team even when I was in 2nd grade at a different school. I don't think he ever had success, but he had no problem getting hired as a HC over and over.

But even without that, the "poor college football player" is a total myth. They get over $20,000 a year in cash from grants, payouts and other things, all legit. That's why they have decent cars while not "working". And that's not counting the housing(which they can get cash for directly if not in the dorm), food, coaching, scholarship and everything else.

I seen where Alabama spends about $125,000 per player per year.

All the while it's the schools that generate the money and interest. Which is why there is no development football league out there paying billions to these kids.

It's all bullshit.
Then there is the small % of players who go to the next level. They also get a stage in which they get to showcase their skills. They get a path to the drafts. If they don't make it at the next level, they can still get a good job almost anywhere. Even a complete NFL bust like Trent Richardson. He would have no problem finding a good job in Alabama. Not paying NFL money, but over $60,000 per year for certain.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh should be spending his time coming up with a way to beat Ohio St.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also,
Meyer “hey if you come to Ohio State, we promise we will pay you $100k after you leave school” sounds perfectly ok to you?
"If you come to our school, we'll buy a liquor store and you can rob it anytime you want to."

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is easier for him to figure out a way to pay players.

urbanmeyer3.gif

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
California is going bankrupt because of their pensions.

California is so smart, they are borrowing money to pay pensions now.

So, you want a University to pay ATHLETEs(only certain athletes though, not women's soccer players for instance)

One year, you have 15 players, the second year you have 30 players. After five years, you have 75 athletes (football players only) being paid $200,000 per year or $15,000,000.

You really think this stops at one year? Ha Ha HA. In the game of football arms race it will escalate out of control.

In ten years, you are paying 150 players $200,000 per year or $30,000,000. Now, how would a University pay that deferred compensation? raise tuition to the normal jack and jill and probably cut the scholarship values to the women soccer players.

This sounds awesome if you are a football player, but really sucks if you are attending the school or are an athlete of a second tier/third tier/fourth tier sport.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but you don't now, so you won't then.

Just like Texas fans like to say how they can spend the most, but they never actually do.
I mean, the salary of our head coach and staff says otherwise. And the fact that we just had donors send an entire football team to Europe for the 2nd time in a row....

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
California is going bankrupt because of their pensions.

California is so smart, they are borrowing money to pay pensions now.

So, you want a University to pay ATHLETEs(only certain athletes though, not women's soccer players for instance)

One year, you have 15 players, the second year you have 30 players. After five years, you have 75 athletes (football players only) being paid $200,000 per year or $15,000,000.

You really think this stops at one year? Ha Ha HA. In the game of football arms race it will escalate out of control.

In ten years, you are paying 150 players $200,000 per year or $30,000,000. Now, how would a University pay that deferred compensation? raise tuition to the normal jack and jill and probably cut the scholarship values to the women soccer players.

This sounds awesome if you are a football player, but really sucks if you are attending the school or are an athlete of a second tier/third tier/fourth tier sport.
I think you'd have to still have rules about paying players; especially for institutions who subsidize their programs through tuition costs. I don't think letting it become a free for all is a good idea. But, say, paying kids the same as student instructors would be a good start.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, the salary of our head coach and staff says otherwise. And the fact that we just had donors send an entire football team to Europe for the 2nd time in a row....

My very next post showed school spending ranks and you still posted this.

How fucking dumb are you?

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My very next post showed school spending ranks and you still posted this.

How fucking dumb are you?
First of all, when people quote your shit you get an alert. That alert takes you to the post. I didn't read the rest of the thread because I was replying to a post you alerted me on. So my question to you is, are you that dumb that you can't figure that out?

I don't think that list makes your point at all. Alabama spends a lot, but so does every team in the top 10. And spending fluctuates pretty significantly year to year.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all, when people quote your shit you get an alert. That alert takes you to the post. I didn't read the rest of the thread because I was replying to a post you alerted me on. So my question to you is, are you that dumb that you can't figure that out?

I don't think that list makes your point at all. Alabama spends a lot, but so does every team in the top 10. And spending fluctuates pretty significantly year to year.

I'm not doing the math, but Alabama spent 20 million more than Michigan, which is like 40% more or something.

And it also spends 14 million more than 2nd place.

Hell Texas is way down at 19 and they only spend 6 million less than Michigan.

If you can't see the gap, then whatever - I don't really expect much from you anyway. The point is and was - Alabama/Saban will spend the money, everyone else won't. All that money you see there in the numbers now is largely spent on the players.