• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Did Alabama break NCAA rule 12.5.2.1?

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, have the 10 hp Evenrude strapped to my back, about 25 yds of line in the water and my zipper is down. Trolling for sure.

Good one...watch out for the prop blades.

Boise got anything in the tank this year?

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They check into all the other rules as well. They have been breaking rules left and right since Midget has been thar.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pettiness of some college football fans is rather pathetic.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there is a violation it appears that it would involve NCAA by-law 12.5.2.2 which says that if a student/athlete is aware of an individual or business using their likeness to promote their business, then the student/athlete is required to do everything in their power to put a stop to it!!

It would be a violation of 12.5.2.1 if it could be proven that the 'Bama players were paid to sign the stuff and/or promote the store!!

If I understand it correctly, if I owned a store and had Marqise Lee sign some stuff and sell it in my store, that is okay as long as I don't pay him anything. However, if I were to have a sign with his picture and a caption that says "Marqise Lee shops here" then he could be in violation if he didn't try to stop me!!

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there is a violation it appears that it would involve NCAA by-law 12.5.2.2 which says that if a student/athlete is aware of an individual or business using their likeness to promote their business, then the student/athlete is required to do everything in their power to put a stop to it!!

It would be a violation of 12.5.2.1 if it could be proven that the 'Bama players were paid to sign the stuff and/or promote the store!!

If I understand it correctly, if I owned a store and had Marqise Lee sign some stuff and sell it in my store, that is okay as long as I don't pay him anything. However, if I were to have a sign with his picture and a caption that says "Marqise Lee shops here" then he could be in violation if he didn't try to stop me!!
I didn't think they needed to be paid for that to be a violation. I thought just promoting the store by being inside and giving autographs was promoting the store and that alone was a violation.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you thin OSU violated NCAA regulations when Terelle Pryor received cars for free or deep discounts from a dealership in Columbus!

About same relevance.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bama law school actually has a specialized track for NCAA bylaw interpretation and manipulation. They know their shit when it comes to running a semi-pro program.

They work with the AD compliance dept to make sure it can't be traced back to Saban or the school. Thus they know all the tricks like "make sure the bagmen are always 3rd party individuals with no apperant booster ties or employment at the school". And when the cash drops occur, make it discrete like a envelope in the church donation plate or a WallMart parking lot. The code phrase during the handoff is of course "Roll Tide".

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't think they needed to be paid for that to be a violation. I thought just promoting the store by being inside and giving autographs was promoting the store and that alone was a violation.

That's what is so convoluted and maddening about this and why the NCAA rule book needs to be completely re-vamped!! No one, including the NCAA, seems to be 100% certain re: when it becomes a violation!!

From what I have heard from folks who supposedly know, is that there is nothing wrong with the players signing autographs, memorabilia, etc. they just can't be paid for it!! That is by-law 12.5.2.1!!

However, if the player allows a business to use their likeness to promote the store (whether they get paid for it or not) or if they learn that it's happening and don't try to put a stop to it, then that player has committed a violation!! That is by-law 12.5.2.2!!

If it seems like a very thin line between signing stuff in a business and actually promoting the business and therefore a dangerous thing for a player to do, it's probably because it is!!

It seems like the difference might be that if the business has advertised that the player will be there signing stuff, that would be a violation. But if they just happen to show up at the store and are asked if they wouldn't mind signing stuff, then it's okay as long as they don't get compensated in any way!!

Last edited by a moderator:

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bama law school actually has a specialized track for NCAA bylaw interpretation and manipulation. They know their shit when it comes to running a semi-pro program.

They work with the AD compliance dept to make sure it can't be traced back to Saban or the school. Thus they know all the tricks like "make sure the bagmen are always 3rd party individuals with no apperant booster ties or employment at the school". And when the cash drops occur, make it discrete like a envelope in the church donation plate or a WallMart parking lot. The code phrase during the handoff is of course "Roll Tide".

:cool2:

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you thin OSU violated NCAA regulations when Terelle Pryor received cars for free or deep discounts from a dealership in Columbus!

About same relevance.
Do you have some evidence to that or is there just proof in your little head?

andyham7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hi, welcome to 2 years ago...

nice post OP...

says no one ever...
"YEAH! And besides that we're ALA-FUCKIN-BAMA, we are entitled to break any rule, anytime, for any reason. Did you forget NICK Muddafuggin Saban is our coach too?":nod:

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"YEAH! And besides that we're ALA-FUCKIN-BAMA, we are entitled to break any rule, anytime, for any reason. Did you forget NICK Muddafuggin Saban is our coach too?":nod:

One of your better posts.

andyham7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know bamanear, I'm gonna start accepting how fucked up having you guys in this sport is!

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3