• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The NCAA Needs to Act

Yippy ki yay
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,940.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I havent thought too much about it, but figured over the years there have been more. I cant remember if guys like Brand or Avery took off after 1 season. Duke has had a lot of talent over the years.

So you're sticking with the over?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with your argument is that the student with the Academic Scholarship gets an offer while the athlete
may or may not get an offer when opting for the draft. Also, if the academic turns down the offer or the offer is pulled for some reason (which the school knows nothing about) he does not lose his scholarship.

How do you handle that?

The NCAA should allow undrafted players to return to college as long as they don't hire an agent. Not sure why these kids hire agents before they are drafted anyway. They need them after they are drafted, not before.

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NCAA should allow undrafted players to return to college as long as they don't hire an agent. Not sure why these kids hire agents before they are drafted anyway. They need them after they are drafted, not before.

But that would put the coach in a bind. How does he recruit a replacement. If the guy opting for the draft comes back, does the coach have to pull the scholarship on the new guy? Only works if you gave that school extra scholarships. Think of how that would be abused.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But that would put the coach in a bind. How does he recruit a replacement. If the guy opting for the draft comes back, does the coach have to pull the scholarship on the new guy? Only works if you gave that school extra scholarships. Think of how that would be abused.

Yeah, they'd have to figure that one out. The draft is in June, so there should still be time to fill the slot if necessary. It may mean that they have to hold a schollie back or ask a kid to "greyshirt" like in football. But I'd think something could be figured out.

pennstatenut

Working with my wood
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were failing hard...additionally, the vast majority of those who went straight to the pros couldn't go to college because the couldn't make the grades to get in as an ordinary student.

But, you're right I don't have numbers to back me up unfortunately, maybe they're out there. I might give the ole google machine a whirl later today if I get slow at work and see if I can dig anything up. Could well be that the straight from HS kids weren't failing in the NBA at any worse a clip than those coming from college.
They could've went to UNC where they'd just give them the grades.

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are 352 NCAA division 1 basketball programs. Figure an average of 12 players each, you're talking about 4,224 players. Of those 4,224, maybe a 100 will play professional basketball of some sort. Maybe 20 will earn never have to work again money. So 99.5% of D-1 college basketball players will make their living doing something other than playing ball. The solution is not in making college ball more like the NBA, the solution is to end the use of the NCAA by the NBA as a defacto unpaid minor league and let student athletes be students and professional basketball players be professionals.

That said, college ball would be a lot more watchable with a 24 or even 30 second clock!

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are 352 NCAA division 1 basketball programs. Figure an average of 12 players each, you're talking about 4,224 players. Of those 4,224, maybe a 100 will play professional basketball of some sort. Maybe 20 will earn never have to work again money. So 99.5% of D-1 college basketball players will make their living doing something other than playing ball. The solution is not in making college ball more like the NBA, the solution is to end the use of the NCAA by the NBA as a defacto unpaid minor league and let student athletes be students and professional basketball players be professionals.

That said, college ball would be a lot more watchable with a 24 or even 30 second clock!

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excellent point and well said. I am not in total agreement on the clock. While defensive struggles and low scoring games don't appeal to everyone, lesser teams playing as a team have a chance to upset those one and done programs.