• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is it time for the bigger conferences to walk away from the NCAA?

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I noticed that the Big 12 has created a rule that all of its teams must play at least one game against a power 5 (including ND) opponent each season. Football Non-Conference Scheduling Requirement Announced

Maybe it's just time that the power 5 (B12, Pac 12, SEC, B1G, ACC) plus ND to walk away from the NCAA in football? Perhaps it would be tougher than I think to create, but the only games you can play would be the members of the conferences above. They can then establish monetary things with players, and other things that will likely make it easier on the governance.

Here is my "pipe dream" scenario:

Create the above situation with the power 5 conferences leaving the NCAA, and give the option for the player to either be a "Student Athlete" or a "School Representative". So for example, a school could offer a kid $1000 a month living expenses, plus tuition, and room and board to attend the school, and have it all tax free for 4-5 years depending on redshirting/injuries. That would be the "Student Athlete". Or the kid could opt out of the school part, and just be hired as a "school representative" that is employed to play on the football team. This option would allow him to receive a salary of... say $2000 a month, along with room and board. This would be taxable income though. This would be a yearly contract or even a 4 year contract that the kid could sign. This would eliminate the school stuff and really allow the kids that really aren't interested in going to class the option to simply be a university employee. Obviously it would be WAY better for most kids to take the school tuition part, but would also allow the kids who can't hardly put a rational thought on a piece of paper, to be able to simply make some money as an athlete and not have to be a student.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goodbye collegiate athletics.

When money is the end-all/be-all, we've failed. It's the junior NFL now. Congrats. :L

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rule isn't a new thing and really only applies to a couple of schools as the bulk majority already do it.

Was the same thing when the SEC passed the same rule last year. No change for the bulk of the teams, but a few of the lower tier teams weren't doing it, thus the rule. Specifically in the SEC - Miss St and A&M. And of course Baylor with it's recent success is notorious for it's OOC schedule with the Big12.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Art and the Baylor AD likely asking the BIG 12 if they can schedule Kansas twice

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goodbye collegiate athletics.

When money is the end-all/be-all, we've failed. It's the junior NFL now. Congrats. :L

When was the last time money wasn't the "end-all/be-all" in collegiate athletics? It's a multi billion dollar industry, that has drastically changed over the past 30 years. Why would it stop evolving more and more into something that is controlled by money? Why not embrace the change, and get rid of the hypocrisy that is often surrounding the NCAA? Maybe they need the NCAA, and I'm just not seeing why.

occupant

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Money being the primary focus is what gets ESPN exclusive deals with only one conference.

Money being the primary focus is what gets some conferences cannibalized, ruining decades of tradition.

The NCAA, even in it's diluted state, is the only thing keeping amateur athletics from becoming professional athletics.

Slippery slope here. You've been warned. We have the NFL. We don't need another.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Money being the primary focus is what gets ESPN exclusive deals with only one conference.

Money being the primary focus is what gets some conferences cannibalized, ruining decades of tradition.

The NCAA, even in it's diluted state, is the only thing keeping amateur athletics from becoming professional athletics.

Slippery slope here. You've been warned. We have the NFL. We don't need another.

Oh cry more.

Money is bad!!!

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not quite understanding the warning here. It's already happening, and the genie can't be put back in the bottle from what I can see. Are you telling me money wasn't the driving factor in college football teams over the past 40 years? I've read too many biographies of players/families that were paid PLENTY of money, and got PLENTY of $100 handshakes over much of the past half century of when college football became unbelievably profitable. Much of the tradition in college was throw out the window before you and I were probably born. The NCAA knows where its cash cows are, and it seems are willing to turn away/slap a wrist when shady things happen. Why not, they make MILLIONS from college football.

I still think if you get rid of the NCAA for the Power 5 and ND football programs, you could create an amazing league that would be better for the fan, the athlete, and the schools....all while keeping the traditional conference titles and rivalries in tact.

SeeYouNT

Вы хотели бы некоторые Путина?
Hoopla Cash
$ 291.80
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So cheating will no longer be considered cheating?

:plotting:

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I noticed that the Big 12 has created a rule that all of its teams must play at least one game against a power 5 (including ND) opponent each season.

Oh, that...that's unofficially called the "Screw Baylor" clause.

You see, the rest of the Big Xii is jealous of the freedoms Baylor University enjoys in its OOC scheduling. Despite Baylor scheduling lesser opponents each season, they still are molly-whomping the majority of the rest of the schools in the league, and so those other teams look bad by comparison.

They be all like: "Baylor sucks for playing Rice, we should be able to beat them most years but we can't, waaaahhhh!" and so forth, ad infinitem, ad nauseum.

So, in an attempt to weaken Baylor they are demanding that they play only P5 schools so that they will suffer more injuries and not be at full strength when they come to their in-conference games.

True story.

occupant

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, that...that's unofficially called the "Screw Baylor" clause.

You see, the rest of the Big Xii is jealous of the freedoms Baylor University enjoys in its OOC scheduling. Despite Baylor scheduling lesser opponents each season, they still are molly-whomping the majority of the rest of the schools in the league, and so those other teams look bad by comparison.

They be all like: "Baylor sucks for playing Rice, we should be able to beat them most years but we can't, waaaahhhh!" and so forth, ad infinitem, ad nauseum.

So, in an attempt to weaken Baylor they are demanding that they play only P5 schools so that they will suffer more injuries and not be at full strength when they come to their in-conference games.

True story.
It's actually called the "2015 Measure to ensure that Baylor gets their dick kicked in on the regular as they slide back down into the Big XII basement".

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's actually called the "2015 Measure to ensure that Baylor gets their dick kicked in on the regular as they slide back down into the Big XII basement".

See? One needs no clearer indication of the league's complicity in this dastardly machination of chicanery and subterfuge. Since they can't beat Baylor on the regular themselves, they have to enlist outside help.

occupant

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Old Sheriff is back in town.

He don't need no posse, pardner.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you turn CFB into a pro sport, then we can just watch pro sports. Do any of ya'll watch Arena Football? Do you follow the NBA D league?

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not quite understanding the warning here. It's already happening, and the genie can't be put back in the bottle from what I can see. Are you telling me money wasn't the driving factor in college football teams over the past 40 years? I've read too many biographies of players/families that were paid PLENTY of money, and got PLENTY of $100 handshakes over much of the past half century of when college football became unbelievably profitable. Much of the tradition in college was throw out the window before you and I were probably born. The NCAA knows where its cash cows are, and it seems are willing to turn away/slap a wrist when shady things happen. Why not, they make MILLIONS from college football.

I still think if you get rid of the NCAA for the Power 5 and ND football programs, you could create an amazing league that would be better for the fan, the athlete, and the schools....all while keeping the traditional conference titles and rivalries in tact.
Pandoras box. @occupant is right its a fine line. If we want to open that box may as well give SC those titles back

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pandoras box. @occupant is right its a fine line. If we want to open that box may as well give SC those titles back

Titles are never really taken away IMO. It's not like the vast majority of people will look at that season differently just because a title was "officially" taken away a year or more later.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Titles are never really taken away IMO. It's not like the vast majority of people will look at that season differently just because a title was "officially" taken away a year or more later.
Funny i seem to remember SC having titles stripped along with the death penalty :think: