• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

DH wants to improve the facilities

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DC,

You should look up some old articles about the Cignetti years. While weight training was not as prevalent as today, the team's weight room had a dirt floor. Players talked about the walls chipping in different rooms.

Yet, the townies I grew up with were upset WVU would discard it for the new stadium… just as these same fans were upset to leave the Old Fieldhouse… Stansbury Hall…. for the Coliseum.

I am all for nostalgia… but… come on. There was no way to upgrade those facilities and keep them relevant.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DC,

You should look up some old articles about the Cignetti years. While weight training was not as prevalent as today, the team's weight room had a dirt floor. Players talked about the walls chipping in different rooms.

Yet, the townies I grew up with were upset WVU would discard it for the new stadium… just as these same fans were upset to leave the Old Fieldhouse… Stansbury Hall…. for the Coliseum.

I am all for nostalgia… but… come on. There was no way to upgrade those facilities and keep them relevant.

Could you imagine bringing a five star guy in and showing him the dirt floor weight room.....hell how do you even recruit a coach with that set-up?

I think at WVU you have a interesting mix of fans...you have the fans who never want anything to change, you have the fans who want us to compete with the big boys with no changes, you have the fans who want the changes to compete with the big boys with no expense, and you have the fans who support change and advancement to compete with the big boys while supporting $$$. I have never seen anything like it and did not realize how much of it was out there until I started on these boards.

I love this school, the state, but I do hope some more modern thinking prevails on some of these issues. I respect the men who came before me, but everything cannot be as it was in the old days.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DC, that is a good and fair post. Let me tell you what I hate: I hate reading on here and other places that Luck is where WVU football began, that everyone prior to him sucked, that WVU football history is all bad. WVU is #15 in all time wins, and is about #20 in all time winning percentage. Let's revisit the past: WVU played much of its first 35 years of football in the small college division, then moved up to the university division. WVU joined the Southern conference, which fathered both the SEC and ACC, and won several league championships. Jim Carlen was forward thinking in engineering an exit from the Southern, wanting to play a stronger schedule. WVU went to new heights under each successive coach. New Mountaineer Field was built to increase capacity, and even greater things came, the win at Oklahoma in 1982 was what brought the flying WV to people nationwide. Joining the BE in all sports brought another level of success, more money, more exposure, more opportunity to play in big games. WVU sports was pretty damned good throughout history, guys. No we are NOT Ohio State, and never will be, but we are a cut above most. The answer to our problems on the field this year are not because a practice field is 10 yards short, or because the outdoor practice area grass has some rips in it. The issues this year are coaching issues, I hope Holgorsen can learn and turn it around, but I have my doubts. The product on the field is getting worse, when the kids have talent enough to beat OSU, play Texas to a tie, play close with OU, they damn sure have talent and skill enough to no get blown out by Kansas and Maryland. I do not like Holgorsen's coaching style, his demeaner on the sideline sucks, he is totally disconnected from the game when WVU is on defense. I hope while he is watching film over the winter and spring that he looks at himself as well as the players.

JIMKOON

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Point to me the differences between these top facilities and ours.......

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2013/college-football-indoor-practice-facilities/

CROWD%20SHOT.jpg

Pretty picture using the facility for class signups, but point out, where are the endzones? How do you practice a full team and a full game plan in this style? A picture indeed says a thousand words...CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP...a thousand times CRAP! If you cared to notice, each one of those pictures represented full 100 yard fields with endzones, every single one of them, so one cannot compare our endzoneless 80 yard playground warehouse of fake grass. And 9 million dollars? You truly can't be satisfied!

Last edited by a moderator:

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DC, that is a good and fair post. Let me tell you what I hate: I hate reading on here and other places that Luck is where WVU football began, that everyone prior to him sucked, that WVU football history is all bad. WVU is #15 in all time wins, and is about #20 in all time winning percentage. Let's revisit the past: WVU played much of its first 35 years of football in the small college division, then moved up to the university division. WVU joined the Southern conference, which fathered both the SEC and ACC, and won several league championships. Jim Carlen was forward thinking in engineering an exit from the Southern, wanting to play a stronger schedule. WVU went to new heights under each successive coach. New Mountaineer Field was built to increase capacity, and even greater things came, the win at Oklahoma in 1982 was what brought the flying WV to people nationwide. Joining the BE in all sports brought another level of success, more money, more exposure, more opportunity to play in big games. WVU sports was pretty damned good throughout history, guys. No we are NOT Ohio State, and never will be, but we are a cut above most. The answer to our problems on the field this year are not because a practice field is 10 yards short, or because the outdoor practice area grass has some rips in it. The issues this year are coaching issues, I hope Holgorsen can learn and turn it around, but I have my doubts. The product on the field is getting worse, when the kids have talent enough to beat OSU, play Texas to a tie, play close with OU, they damn sure have talent and skill enough to no get blown out by Kansas and Maryland. I do not like Holgorsen's coaching style, his demeaner on the sideline sucks, he is totally disconnected from the game when WVU is on defense. I hope while he is watching film over the winter and spring that he looks at himself as well as the players.

Dad, the big answer to why we are bad this year is QB play. Fumbles and interceptions cost this team dearly. When Holgs started, there was Geno and nobody else. Millard was recruited at the last minute and he was no great athlete, just a much needed backup. Childress was picked up the next year and he could be the guy of the future, but he was not the guy for this year. Trickett came because he knew we had no good QBs on the roster and he did not prove to be the answer. I am sure that you are watching better very good Freshman and Sophomores on the field. As these guys mature, they will be less likely to have the mental breakdowns that have plagued us in our losses.

You put a good bit of history in your post. Putting it into perspective, take the Big East: How long did it take us to beat Miami and get to be the Big East Champs? In basketball, how long did it take us to get out of the bottom of the conference to the point where we contended and won 1 BE championship?

I suffer with you and also feel the coaching needs to improve along with consistency. This will run its course and WVU will be back. Maybe under Holgerson, maybe not. For every senior we lose this year, there is a younger backup ready to replace them who has more stars next to his name...at least according to Rivals. We will have higher rated players on the field, more experience and more depth. If Childress develops or if Crest is the answer, we should be very good. Just as in the BE, only time will tell.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No field goals, roof is not high enough to practice punts...i imagine during teams drills it is packed. Some of the teams in our conf have two full fields under the roof.

If you want to compare to the top...which at this case would more than likely be Oregon then the question itself is comical. Theirs is a HDTV ours is a black and white with rabbit ears.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No field goals, roof is not high enough to practice punts...i imagine during teams drills it is packed. Some of the teams in our conf have two full fields under the roof.

If you want to compare to the top...which at this case would more than likely be Oregon then the question itself is comical. Theirs is a HDTV ours is a black and white with rabbit ears.

Again… without having the space provided by a full 100 yds and end zones on each side… there is not enough space to have the full team on the field practicing at the same time.

Dana even talked about the new weight room taking up some of the practice area utilized on Mountaineer Field, but added he was not worried about it if he could get new practice facilities. No big time team practices on their stadium's turf anymore.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty picture using the facility for class signups, but point out, where are the endzones? How do you practice a full team and a full game plan in this style? A picture indeed says a thousand words...CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP...a thousand times CRAP! If you cared to notice, each one of those pictures represented full 100 yard fields with endzones, every single one of them, so one cannot compare our endzoneless 80 yard playground warehouse of fake grass. And 9 million dollars? You truly can't be satisfied!

Look at the link of the TOP indoor practice facilities. As to kicks, why the hell would you practice kicks inside? You MUST learn to play the weather when kicking. How high a roof do you want, there is not a single roof high enough in ANY of those top facilities to punt!!!!! What do you want? To have a $150 million domed stadium to practice in???? The purpose of an indoor facility is to enable limited practice during bad weather........Take a look at Georgia's again...... AND I ask again what play is it that you can practice in 100 yards and not 90??????

JIMKOON

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at the link of the TOP indoor practice facilities. As to kicks, why the hell would you practice kicks inside? You MUST learn to play the weather when kicking. How high a roof do you want, there is not a single roof high enough in ANY of those top facilities to punt!!!!! What do you want? To have a $150 million domed stadium to practice in???? The purpose of an indoor facility is to enable limited practice during bad weather........Take a look at Georgia's again...... AND I ask again what play is it that you can practice in 100 yards and not 90??????

I think you want to look at things in a singular fashion, and that is ok if you wish only for a program of no growth. As any coach worth a darn will tell you, it is the ability to develope by repeating over and over again both place kicking and punting, that translates to effective results in ANY weather condition, not the condition itself, so having a facility available for the repetitive practice, IS paramount. Having once again as stated above, a facility that allows for both ends of a fullsize field gives the ability to practice that depth that even you scream we don't have. If having a practice facility of that nature costs $150 million, somebodies getting ripped off. Texas invested $12.5 million 10 or so years ago in their practice facility which allows for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd team practices at the SAME time. That is how you develope depth, most of the schools in your picture post have the SAME thing. You want to compare apples to lemons DAD, and it just isn't possible. IF we want the success, the reputation and respect that I believe we all call for, albeit in different tones, then WVU has to raise the bar in our facilities. In the Big east, the kids coming in were attracted by our "family atmosphere" and our above average eastern style facilities. The attitudes of the 18 year old recruits IS different the higher the number of stars behind their names. We might not want to think so, and it probably is offensive to some, but WVU, outside of our stadium, and weight room, is sorely behind in other football facilities. Instead of pictures, go on a tour of ever other campus of our Big 12 brothers. Then you will see for yourself just how far down the list we are. THAT is a very huge disadvantage for Dana Holgerson when it comes to selling the difference to a recruit considering WVU and Texas, or Oklahoma, or really, any of the other schools. It surely and hopefully doesn't become the ultimate decision maker, but in many instances within head to head competition from a 5 star player from those hotbed States in the Big 12, it will be. It's a shame, but not very many great players look at anything but winning and what they can get, where can they play or hangout. They could care less about education or family atmosphere, because, for many of them, those things have never been the end game. I think that is, for all of us, something we choose not to think about in our opinions about the program, but I can assure you, the consistent winning programs have not, and they DO cater to those desires of their incoming stars, legally or illegally, because it is all about one thing, and one thing only, winning. I hope constantly that WVU never completely subscribes to such a goal, and it is a growing concern from some within the overall administration outside of the AD's office, we have to be careful, in my opinion, in HOW we do things, BUT, increasing the stature of our off the playing field facilities has got to be a priority in securing a grounded winning tradition. Anything short of such goals, holds, whoever the coach may be, back in their efforts to put the best caliber player of good character on the field. I cannot see how you would oppose such a goal, honestly.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What gets me is that when OHIO STATE came to Morgantown a few years ago, John Cooper went back here and sold the OSU folks that he needed the indoor facility that WVU had. You guys pour piss because it is 80 yards long, name me a play that you need to practice INDOORS that takes more than that. An INDOOR facility is for the times when the weather is too bad to practice outside, not just because it is hot or cold out. WVU just remodeled the weight and training areas, to what Luck said was world class. To me, the biggest thing that needs to be done is for the fans, redo the bathrooms in the stadium!!!!!!

DAD...come on..I know your are smarter than this statement....

Even in Pop Warner the Coaches breakout Offense and Defense for drills...at the High School level even if they are practicing running scout team the kickers are ar the other end either punting or field goals.............even if the field was 100 yards long they still can't kick in it...How do you practice special teams if you can't kick????????????:gaah:

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

JIMKOON

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh my goodness...someone or some one's( Oliver Luck) has a vision and a future infrastructre plan with forward thinking in Morgantown.......How Bout' That!..:lol:

Hey Eddie P...that is what YOU were supposed have.......not so much.

I have to agree that EP lost the forward thinking capability over his tenure as AD, but historically, almost all AD's at some point become complacent after being in one place for too long. I am not of the opinion that former players(attempting live on some past mythical laurels) ever serve with grand distinction for very many years, and that statement is not a kick in the pants to just WVU. I enjoy the Mountaineer loyalty factor right up to the point that the program begins to suffer, ie: EP's final years, then, that loyalty becomes misplaced and a serious detriment to the future. Oliver Luck, no matter what our personal like or dislike of him may be, has shown a forward thinking since the day he was hired. And to those who decry some foul at the removal of EP, they too were stuck in that rut of failure. Hey, anybody who says change is easy, is a complete fool. Losing doesn't make anybody feel better, and I can accept it right up to the point of seeing a failing field of play attitude as we witnessed in the Kansas game. That was not forward thinking in any shape or form!

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to agree that EP lost the forward thinking capability over his tenure as AD, but historically, almost all AD's at some point become complacent after being in one place for too long. I am not of the opinion that former players(attempting live on some past mythical laurels) ever serve with grand distinction for very many years, and that statement is not a kick in the pants to just WVU. I enjoy the Mountaineer loyalty factor right up to the point that the program begins to suffer, ie: EP's final years, then, that loyalty becomes misplaced and a serious detriment to the future. Oliver Luck, no matter what our personal like or dislike of him may be, has shown a forward thinking since the day he was hired. And to those who decry some foul at the removal of EP, they too were stuck in that rut of failure. Hey, anybody who says change is easy, is a complete fool. Losing doesn't make anybody feel better, and I can accept it right up to the point of seeing a failing field of play attitude as we witnessed in the Kansas game. That was not forward thinking in any shape or form!

And that my friend is the distinct difference....Luck's job is the health of the program...THE ENTIRE PROGRAM!!...Dana's job is to build the health of the FOOTBALL PROGRAM in concert with what Luck has for the rest of the programs agenda....Luck's pefromance will be measured on the bottom line of the profit and loss statement...Dana's will be measured in recruiting, wins and revenues the football program drive....to blur the lines that these two are measured just on the Football Teams success is not even close to reality.....

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While driving back from my son's basketball game tonight, I was listening to Coach K's radio show on XM Radio. He had Coach Cutliffe as a guest. They spoke about the commitment Duke had made to the football program.

Of interest to this thread, Coach Cutliffe stated the president and AD made sure Duke had the finest practice facilities in the country. Coach stated he knew his kids worked harder when they had better facilities to practice on… it gave them more motivation.

Funny how that works. You look at the commitment made by your university… and, you want to bust your ass to pay them back for their dedication to you.

Nice to see Coach Cutliffe get another chance to be HC. Also nice to see the kind of success he is enjoying turning around one of the worst college programs in the country.

JIMKOON

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While driving back from my son's basketball game tonight, I was listening to Coach K's radio show on XM Radio. He had Coach Cutliffe as a guest. They spoke about the commitment Duke had made to the football program.

Of interest to this thread, Coach Cutliffe stated the president and AD made sure Duke had the finest practice facilities in the country. Coach stated he knew his kids worked harder when they had better facilities to practice on… it gave them more motivation.

Funny how that works. You look at the commitment made by your university… and, you want to bust your ass to pay them back for their dedication to you.

Nice to see Coach Cutliffe get another chance to be HC. Also nice to see the kind of success he is enjoying turning around one of the worst college programs in the country.

Love my XM Radio...funny I listened to the same thing...and after this discussions here...I think it should be mandatory listening by all Mountaineer fans...the commitment to excellence cannot start and end simply on the field of play...it has to be in the total commitment to every student athlete choosing to display their talent, and an even stronger commitment by the student athlete to uphold the values of the schools desire for excellence. I think Cutliffe deserved this second chance also.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another step forward!

Since as the article you linked to stated, all the facility improvements Holgorsen wants are already in the works....... I go back to what I said above, Holgorsen was trying to divert the heat from a horrible loss.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since as the article you linked to stated, all the facility improvements Holgorsen wants are already in the works....... I go back to what I said above, Holgorsen was trying to divert the heat from a horrible loss.

That is not what the article says. The MAC is attempting a fund raising campaign to pay for an addition to the Puskar Center for a new meeting room. They hope it could be available for 2014, but more likely 2015. This is something most all major programs have available for film review.

There is currently nothing being done to improve the indoor or outdoor facilities.

As he mentions, WVU has some of the worst facilities in FBS. I find that fact embarrassing.