• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

DH wants to improve the facilities

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http://westvirginia.247sports.com/Article/Holgs-Upgraded-Facilities-Needed-161625?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook

If there was ever an example of the "good ol boy" network it is in play here...to put into perspective the practice facility cost 9 mil to make, Mountaineer Stadium cost 22 mil....tell me there were no kickbacks on this one. We basically have a warehouse with turf floor for 9 mil.

Whoever is the coach moving forward we need to fix this.

I heard his press conference...and he's right...the Shell Building was an albatross from the word go..who builds an indoor practice facility that you can't kick in and its only 80 yards??:wtf2:

As far as the outdoor pactice facility how is it that it does not have field turf on it?...should be a cheap quick fix with all things being equal...

Not sure what he has in mind for the Puskar Center...he could get pushback there the facility is pretty new....

JIMKOON

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http://westvirginia.247sports.com/Article/Holgs-Upgraded-Facilities-Needed-161625?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook

If there was ever an example of the "good ol boy" network it is in play here...to put into perspective the practice facility cost 9 mil to make, Mountaineer Stadium cost 22 mil....tell me there were no kickbacks on this one. We basically have a warehouse with turf floor for 9 mil.

For any Mountaineer to NOT acknowledge that there was a massive about of kickback in all these endeavors, is just a plain fool. It is my fear that our new baseball facility will endure the same procedures during it's construction. Have we ever truly gotten our true dimes worth out of any of the new construction? Honestly?

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

22 million for the stadium was a deal. We will pay 18 million for the new baseball facility. We paid 24 million for the Basketball practice facility. 9 mil at the time with a warehouse and field turf does not suggest fraud to me????????

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For any Mountaineer to NOT acknowledge that there was a massive about of kickback in all these endeavors, is just a plain fool. It is my fear that our new baseball facility will endure the same procedures during it's construction. Have we ever truly gotten our true dimes worth out of any of the new construction? Honestly?

Mountaineer field was built for 22 million, which according to wikopedia is about 63 million today (that is for the original 50k of seating and press box. We surely got our dimes worth out of that purchase. That amounts to about 100 million less that TCU is paying for stadium upgrades. There are always favors and kickbacks with government projects, but nobody made millions by building Mountaineer field.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another i am not saying Mountaineer Field was a rip off, I am saying a 9 mil dollar warehouse with turf on the floor is...if you and I went out today and put 9 mil into making a structure like that we would have about 7 mil left over! lol

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to the OP, Holgorsen is trying to avert the heat away from him for such a failed season.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last year before the KU game, a video of KU's facilities was released.

It blew my socks off.

Not only is WVU facing a challenge on the football field, but they cannot match facilities of its competitors in attracting recruits.

Pitt has better practice facilities than WVU. It is a joke!

JIMKOON

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last year before the KU game, a video of KU's facilities was released.

It blew my socks off.

Not only is WVU facing a challenge on the football field, but they cannot match facilities of its competitors in attracting recruits.

Pitt has better practice facilities than WVU. It is a joke!

Big 12 schools have always used the large paydays for their facilities, both sports wise and educational wise. I have been in the facilities at both Texas and Texas A&M, both make our facilities look like a smaller high school in Texas, and some of those would blow you away. Pearland High School where one of WVU's current running backs hails from, looks like a college campus, premier football stadium, indoor and outdoor practice facilities, training weight room just opulent beyond words, but that is how important football is to these kids, AND their supporters. So yes, we got a whole bunch of growing to do if we are going to entice young men from Texas and Oklahoma to come to Morgantown. On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the highest, I would rate Texas an 8, Oklahoma an 8, Oklahoma St a 7, Baylor a 6, Kansas a 7, Kansas St a 6, Iowa St a 5, TSU a 6, Texas Tech a 7, and honestly WVU a mid 3 to low 4. It really is a sore spot I'm sure for Dana Holgerson, because he has first hand experience playing in those venue's, a warehouse with a fake grass floor, ain't gonna get it.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big 12 schools have always used the large paydays for their facilities, both sports wise and educational wise. I have been in the facilities at both Texas and Texas A&M, both make our facilities look like a smaller high school in Texas, and some of those would blow you away. Pearland High School where one of WVU's current running backs hails from, looks like a college campus, premier football stadium, indoor and outdoor practice facilities, training weight room just opulent beyond words, but that is how important football is to these kids, AND their supporters. So yes, we got a whole bunch of growing to do if we are going to entice young men from Texas and Oklahoma to come to Morgantown. On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the highest, I would rate Texas an 8, Oklahoma an 8, Oklahoma St a 7, Baylor a 6, Kansas a 7, Kansas St a 6, Iowa St a 5, TSU a 6, Texas Tech a 7, and honestly WVU a mid 3 to low 4. It really is a sore spot I'm sure for Dana Holgerson, because he has first hand experience playing in those venue's, a warehouse with a fake grass floor, ain't gonna get it.

What gets me is that when OHIO STATE came to Morgantown a few years ago, John Cooper went back here and sold the OSU folks that he needed the indoor facility that WVU had. You guys pour piss because it is 80 yards long, name me a play that you need to practice INDOORS that takes more than that. An INDOOR facility is for the times when the weather is too bad to practice outside, not just because it is hot or cold out. WVU just remodeled the weight and training areas, to what Luck said was world class. To me, the biggest thing that needs to be done is for the fans, redo the bathrooms in the stadium!!!!!!

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea new bathrooms is a good idea. I am tired of puking on those old back seat toilets.

JIMKOON

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What gets me is that when OHIO STATE came to Morgantown a few years ago, John Cooper went back here and sold the OSU folks that he needed the indoor facility that WVU had. You guys pour piss because it is 80 yards long, name me a play that you need to practice INDOORS that takes more than that. An INDOOR facility is for the times when the weather is too bad to practice outside, not just because it is hot or cold out. WVU just remodeled the weight and training areas, to what Luck said was world class. To me, the biggest thing that needs to be done is for the fans, redo the bathrooms in the stadium!!!!!!

I have a bit of trouble believing that one Dad, would want to see that in writing. But, I also completely disagree with your response in regards to the indoor facilities(warehouse box with fake grass field at only 80 yards). If OSU wants a really truly world class facility, they just need to travel to Austin Texas and look at the indoor practice facility with TWO 100 yard fields of different playing surfaces. How can you expect a team to simulate a full game plan on 80% of an actual field. Believe me Dad, the kids from Big 12 country practice on FULL fields designed for JUST practice. How would you feel as a recruit taking a step back in facilities? It is another of the things we were not quite up to conference standards on. The New York and Florida kids we have commonly brought in indeed thought what they were getting here was a step up, and for eastern football programs, we are kind a opulent. But we don't play in an eastern identifiable program any more. We have to make the investment if we are going to truly compete in this conference.

I have to ask you, because I've now listened to you for almost two years. Are you ever happy about anything in this program? I mean come on, you honestly have to have something good to say once in a while. WVU is important to all of us, but to consistently bemoan things in the manner that you do, really turns people off. I think we all hurt in our individual ways for the state of the program, and we each offer up our thoughts in as a constructive manner as possible, but it does get a bit over the top sometimes with you. I don't dislike you, I even at times somewhat agree with you, but it would be nice if you could keep things positive, even when it is hard too. Just my thoughts, nothing personal.:noidea::noidea:

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Point to me the differences between these top facilities and ours.......

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2013/college-football-indoor-practice-facilities/

CROWD%20SHOT.jpg

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the indoor facility needs upgrades from what i saw with oregon this year...not saying we have Oregon money to copy them, but when the showed that place earlier this year oregon had 1st and 2nd teamers on offense and defense, plus their special teams all working at the same time for two hours. Helps that second team get more reps. WE do not have the ability to do that right now, and our outside ground sounds worse than the Steelers home field.

Jim points out that we need this to compete with the other Big 12 scools, we also need this upgrade to compete with the local big schools in our area as well. DH and company have been going after some big time recruits, whether it is him or the next guy lets make sure he has every advantage when going after these big time players.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not only is our practice facility just 80 yds long, there are not end zones on either side of it either. The difference between the WVU facility and anyone else's is.... space. WVU cannot place the entire team on the field at the same time like they can on Mountaineer Field.

It is a joke for a major program to be lacking in this area.

Last edited by a moderator:

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you haven't already read this, do yourself a favor and do so now.

Look at the team's meeting room.

Another joke!

Long read: Dana Holgorsen?s tour de force « WVU Sports with Mike Casazza

Good stuff BB, and I hope he gets to finish some of these projects. I think DH is the new blood the program has needed for some time. Someone who has worked at some of the other big time programs and have seen how the operate and what their facilities entailed. Yes it would be nice to be winning games while doing this, but listening to him talk about it and reading articles about it makes me want to give him the chance to complete it. By completing things like this the wins will come.

I put this to the DH haters.....does that sound like a guy who does not care about WVU? Does that sound like a guy who does not care about the program? All these things that he wants are things that guys who are beloved by some of our fans should have been doing years ago...IMO

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing that stands out for me today after reading articles like the above from back in August, or others surrounding the improvement to the team's weight room… is that this staff and Stewart's were awesome recruiters. To be able to get the kid's they have to this point when lacking so much of the 'candy' to entice them speaks volumes.

One thing you read over and over from kids who commit to WVU is they love the family atmosphere surrounding the team. That has been one constant throughout…

Maybe DAD was right, Dana and Cignetti are a lot alike. They both were fighting like hell to get improved facilities in order to compete for recruits. And, despite the inadequate facilities… each got their share.

Rich wanted the same for WVU… of course he did not have the support of the AD at the time for any of that. Eddie was content with the facilities at hand.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Rich also wanted to do some shady things as well...lol

I am to young to remember Cignetti to even comment on his coaching, but Don won some games with his recruits. lol

We have a first time head coach and I am patient enough to let him grow into the roll, either way WVU football will live on and hopefully with some upgrades.