• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Definition of a bandwagon fan

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears Fan... Tebow Tantrum

Obviously fake, but funny.
'Stop talking about Jesus" "God never helps the Bears"...LOL...

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've come to an acceptance of the bandwagon and what is more is that I have actual found I can defend the bandwagon fan.

After all, they say about professional sports is that "it's a business".

And so is McDonald's. But, if The Big Mac gives me the runny shits (kinda like Houston's offense has the last three years), does that make me disloyal if I take my business to Burger King?

If pro sports wants to be a business, that's fine with me. Just don't complain later when you get treated like a business and people take their business elsewhere when you give them a shitty product.

I have heard...you're not a real fan if you don't live in the same city as the team you're rooting for...or maybe you do, but you didn't go thru the down times with the team, etc.

Hardcore, diehard fans are great, but that's not who the NFL is really trying to capture...there's no need...the fringe, fair weather type fans get what they want because they speak to the owners...you put a shitty product out there, they will let you know...by their absence.

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've come to an acceptance of the bandwagon and what is more is that I have actual found I can defend the bandwagon fan.

After all, they say about professional sports is that "it's a business".

And so is McDonald's. But, if The Big Mac gives me the runny shits (kinda like Houston's offense has the last three years), does that make me disloyal if I take my business to Burger King?

If pro sports wants to be a business, that's fine with me. Just don't complain later when you get treated like a business and people take their business elsewhere when you give them a shitty product.

That's one of the most thoughtful and concise descriptions of bandwagon fans, as I've ever seen. Can't stand bandwagon fans myself, but :thumb:

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have heard...you're not a real fan if you don't live in the same city as the team you're rooting for...or maybe you do, but you didn't go thru the down times with the team, etc.

Hardcore, diehard fans are great, but that's not who the NFL is really trying to capture...there's no need...the fringe, fair weather type fans get what they want because they speak to the owners...you put a shitty product out there, they will let you know...by their absence.

@MISKO needs to change his allegiances... QUICK! :dhd:

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose I should too...but I do like the Falcons and call myself a fan, but my heart has been with the Steelers for 40+ yrs.

Nah... Misko knows I'm kidding him....even if it's been 25 years in Minny. I find it more difficult to see his Penguins fandom, than his Stealers. :lm:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah... Misko knows I'm kidding him....even if it's been 25 years in Minny. I find it more difficult to see his Penguins fandom, than his Stealers. :lm:

Can't take the "burg" out of the man...lol!

What's interesting...as a 10-11 y/o kid in the early 70s, the Steelers became my team not because of anything they did on the field initially...they drafted my favorite QB at the time...Joe Gilliam in '72...the same yr as the immaculate reception.

Growing up in Memphis...major league pro sports teams were in other cities, not ours. We all adopted teams...there were purple people eater fans, with Chuck Foreman and the DL with Allan Page and the crew...a lot of Cowboy fans, Colts, of course the Dolphins with Griese and the undefeated team that followed.

Oddly...Memphis did get a WFL team (I want to say WFL, it may have been something else)...but they had Larry Csonka of all people...never got off the ground and I'm sure you knew the USFL.

When Bud Adams took the Oilers out of HOU...most people don't realize he came to Memphis 1st, and they played at least one season there...he wanted a new stadium built (that's why he left HOU), but Memphis said they would renovate the Liberty Bowl...he trucked right on up I-40 to Nashville and posed the same question...they jumped at it.

I've always had a spot for the Titans because they do play in my birth state, but I probably would've been a much bigger fan had they stayed in Memphis.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So you can only be a real fan if you like the local team? Or if you have a local team? And stuck with them when they were schnauzers?

Well, I'm a real fan. But I do not like what would masquerade up here as the home team. In fact they didn't even exist when I started watching.

And when I first was watching (and 10 years old) I was like many kids still are, you gravitate to the team that has some stars and for me it was Dallas. Meredith, Hayes, Garrison, Lilly, Jordan, Renfro, etc. And I've stuck with them my whole life since.

But I've added the Patriots since their remarkable run started simply because they are so fucking good, hard to hate, love the coach, etc.

And I have consistently disliked the "home team".....

MISKO

STILLERS
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't take the "burg" out of the man...lol!

What's interesting...as a 10-11 y/o kid in the early 70s, the Steelers became my team not because of anything they did on the field initially...they drafted my favorite QB at the time...Joe Gilliam in '72...the same yr as the immaculate reception.

Growing up in Memphis...major league pro sports teams were in other cities, not ours. We all adopted teams...there were purple people eater fans, with Chuck Foreman and the DL with Allan Page and the crew...a lot of Cowboy fans, Colts, of course the Dolphins with Griese and the undefeated team that followed.

Oddly...Memphis did get a WFL team (I want to say WFL, it may have been something else)...but they had Larry Csonka of all people...never got off the ground and I'm sure you knew the USFL.

When Bud Adams took the Oilers out of HOU...most people don't realize he came to Memphis 1st, and they played at least one season there...he wanted a new stadium built (that's why he left HOU), but Memphis said they would renovate the Liberty Bowl...he trucked right on up I-40 to Nashville and posed the same question...they jumped at it.

I've always had a spot for the Titans because they do play in my birth state, but I probably would've been a much bigger fan had they stayed in Memphis.
pittsburgh had the maulers in that league

maulers.gif

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you can only be a real fan if you like the local team? Or if you have a local team? And stuck with them when they were schnauzers?

Well, I'm a real fan. But I do not like what would masquerade up here as the home team. In fact they didn't even exist when I started watching.

And when I first was watching (and 10 years old) I was like many kids still are, you gravitate to the team that has some stars and for me it was Dallas. Meredith, Hayes, Garrison, Lilly, Jordan, Renfro, etc. And I've stuck with them my whole life since.

But I've added the Patriots since their remarkable run started simply because they are so fucking good, hard to hate, love the coach, etc.

And I have consistently disliked the "home team".....

Hell no! and you and me both!

I've actually read that on this board though.

Oh, so you're moving towards early retirement (age) soon too! I remember bullet Bob Hayes.

Home team...I hopped on the Falcon bandwagon really when Arthur Blank bought them

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw that video after the game happened. Pretty clever. And yeah I didn't know they made Ponder jerseys either.

You would be surprised how many people you see ballsy enough to still rock Ponder jerseys to games. It was bold enough when he was on the team.

I refuse to go to sporting events wearing a former players jersey that's still active on another team. For example, my Jared Allen jersey. Might wear it again once he's retired. But no chance I was wearing that to a game this year.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell no! and you and me both!

I've actually read that on this board though.

Oh, so you're moving towards early retirement (age) soon too! I remember bullet Bob Hayes.

Home team...I hopped on the Falcon bandwagon really when Arthur Blank bought them

Moving towards but not nearly fast enough....

61 in Sept.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the show boats were the USFL squad actually went to a few of those games, and the grizzlies came before them in the WFL....

If the USFL had been born in this massive TV sports era, they actually had a shot to compete with the NFL...they played offseason to the NFL I think...they were in the key NFL TV markets but really covered the non-NFL markets pretty well...Birmingham, San Antoino, Memphis, several others.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moving towards but not nearly fast enough....

61 in Sept.

Got me by a few and then some actually...54 in Jul...not quite as scary...one of my golf buds just turned 62 and he might be further away from retirement than me! Says he needs another 10 yrs on the job. That's what happens when you lose 40% of your 401k then mortgage your house to fund a $50k wedding...topic for another day...squandered retirements.