• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Definition of a bandwagon fan

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got me by a few and then some actually...54 in Jul...not quite as scary...one of my golf buds just turned 62 and he might be further away from retirement than me! Says he needs another 10 yrs on the job. That's what happens when you lose 40% of your 401k then mortgage your house to fund a $50k wedding...topic for another day...squandered retirements.

I'm a fairly old farquhar.... But still in fighting trim... Swimming 3K (~2 miles) every day keeps me that way. Better shape now than I was at 25.....

MISKO

STILLERS
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the show boats were the USFL squad actually went to a few of those games, and the grizzlies came before them in the WFL....

If the USFL had been born in this massive TV sports era, they actually had a shot to compete with the NFL...they played offseason to the NFL I think...they were in the key NFL TV markets but really covered the non-NFL markets pretty well...Birmingham, San Antoino, Memphis, several others.
oh ok I dont really remember the wfl

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh ok I dont really remember the wfl

Not many will, they were only around for a NY minute. Memphis had nothing much else so I did remember them being there mostly because of Csonka.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a fairly old farquhar.... But still in fighting trim... Swimming 3K (~2 miles) every day keeps me that way. Better shape now than I was at 25.....

Swimming will do it! I need a regime like that...my office is literally maybe 30 yds from this really nice county aquatic center...has an olympic size indoor lap pool...I had an idea of maybe swimming a few laps during lunch or after work because there's another about 2 mi from the house...I went down there to find out how much...took one look at that pool close up...way longer than they look on TV!

I still need to at least do the water aerobic class...that will help me knock off this last stubborn 15 or so...the 1st 20 were easy it seemed.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Swimming will do it! I need a regime like that...my office is literally maybe 30 yds from this really nice county aquatic center...has an olympic size indoor lap pool...I had an idea of maybe swimming a few laps during lunch or after work because there's another about 2 mi from the house...I went down there to find out how much...took one look at that pool close up...way longer than they look on TV!

I still need to at least do the water aerobic class...that will help me knock off this last stubborn 15 or so...the 1st 20 were easy it seemed.

The pool is 5 minutes away from work and I can go any time during the day. Always lap lanes available.

GuardDuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have heard...you're not a real fan if you don't live in the same city as the team you're rooting for...or maybe you do, but you didn't go thru the down times with the team, etc.

Hardcore, diehard fans are great, but that's not who the NFL is really trying to capture...there's no need...the fringe, fair weather type fans get what they want because they speak to the owners...you put a shitty product out there, they will let you know...by their absence.
I'm from Wisconsin, there is no way in hell I'd cheer for the Blackhawks just because they are the most "local" team for me. Not a chance. You don't have to be local, you just have to be loyal

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure this guy nails it!!!

08c411538ceb4b40c1289b511ec39201.jpg

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm from Wisconsin, there is no way in hell I'd cheer for the Blackhawks just because they are the most "local" team for me. Not a chance. You don't have to be local, you just have to be loyal
Agreed...I'm an ATL based Steeler fan by way of a bunch of places so I'm with you....just repeating something I saw from another hoopster a while back on the local angle.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would be surprised how many people you see ballsy enough to still rock Ponder jerseys to games. It was bold enough when he was on the team.

I refuse to go to sporting events wearing a former players jersey that's still active on another team. For example, my Jared Allen jersey. Might wear it again once he's retired. But no chance I was wearing that to a game this year.

Well....good news then.

Jared Allen announces retirement after 12 seasons

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have heard...you're not a real fan if you don't live in the same city as the team you're rooting for...or maybe you do, but you didn't go thru the down times with the team, etc.

Hardcore, diehard fans are great, but that's not who the NFL is really trying to capture...there's no need...the fringe, fair weather type fans get what they want because they speak to the owners...you put a shitty product out there, they will let you know...by their absence.

Great points... I agree, location has no bearing to me for the NFL. For NBA/NHL/MLB it's tougher, as it is much harder to follow teams from other sports outside of their regions. NFL does a much better job of marketing all of it's teams nationally.

Also, I don't even mind new fans that choose a team because they are good or they like player X. I have a buddy that became a football fan during the Rams championship run. Ok, no problem there, and he still is today.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those two likely are only wearing that stuff for fashion reasons not because they're bandwagon fans.

I know it Beiber's case the biggest reason most likely is because is a huge douche!

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it Beiber's case the biggest reason most likely is because is a huge douche!
If Bieber is a vagina does that mean his hat is vagazzling?

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those two likely are only wearing that stuff for fashion reasons not because they're bandwagon fans.

So here is one for debate...

Some huge sci fi fans will say.. "you can't like both Star Trek and Star Wars".

If you just like football but don't love any individual team, what is the issue if you just watch the good teams?