• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Defining the Seahawks Defense

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very good break down on how the Seahawks defense works,

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on this breakdown, Red Bryant isn't going anywhere anytime soon unless he becomes a shell of his former self when healthy or simply can't remain healthy. I've seen plenty of talk over the last couple of years about replacing Red with a guy who can rush the passer in addition to stopping the run, with less of an emphasis on stopping the run and more on rushing the passer. Reading this breakdown, that doesn't appear to be what Carroll wants out of that position. So, outside of the two scenarios I laid out at the top occurring, I don't see any reason to replace Red anytime soon. He does what's asked of him and he does it very well.

C.Adl.C.Hox.Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if with the success of the Hawks last season, more teams will commit/devote more attention to dealing with Seattle unique D directly... and to what degree of an affect that will have.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps a team like the 49er will, but I doubt that teams that just play us just once will devote all that much time dealing with a unique defense. The week they play us, they'll give it a look.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that as soon as you have upgrades at LB, your defense would be scary good. Right now, our running game is predicated on bodying up on the DL and shooting to get to the second level and making your safeties make the plays.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I would say the Redskins game should be a little concerning for your defense because the Redskins were moving the ball alarming easily until RGIII was hurt to the point where he could hardly move.

And it should be alarming because that's similar to what you'll see from the 9ers and it's not something that will go unnoticed by them and other teams as well.

Losing your DC could be a determent as well but with Pete being a defensive guy it probably won't be an issue. It is something to keep an eye on though.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Redskin first half was troubling. I felt the Seahawks were slow to adjust to the offense. I think all the moves in the off season were to address the problems that crop up during the year, not just the Redskin game.

First off a better pass rush was needed thus Avril and Bennett signings. and drafting Jordan Hill.
Second the Seahawks need a cb that could defend slot receivers and help on running plays. Winfield seems perfect ( other then his age). He's going to really help if he can keep performing.

You never know how a new DC will work out, but Quinn is really familiar with the defense and has a rep for being a tad bit more aggressive, which I think is a good thing.
Not to mention all the new toys he gets to use.

We'll see how it works out, but I for one think the defense is going to shine this year.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to add a couple of other thoughts about your post Jikkle.

1) Other teams are going to notice what happen to RG3 running this offense.

2) There are not to many teams that have a QB that can run this offense. The 49ers do with Kaep. I won't advise using him against the Seahawks in this fashion. A certain infamous Cowboy fan referred to the Seahawks as thugs (in a complimentary way). He was right because the Seahawk pride themselves for their hard hitting defense (and offense), Kaep would have a bulls eye painted on his uniform if he tried do to the Seahawks what he did to the Packers.

3) I really don't think that offense will fly against our defense next year...I really don't.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harold, I don't think that at 6'5 230-240, Kaep is really all that worried about physicality. He is also extremely smart while on the run. As much pride as SEA takes in their hard hitting defense, the Niners take equal amounts of pride in a hard hitting offense and defense.

There is nothing that I feel you have upgraded that would negate the run-option game. Avril and Bennett are overaggressive in their assignments. A. Davis made Avril his one on one bitch last year. In fact, Avril would run up field, undisciplined, and A. Davis would sit on him...sometimes literally. Bennett is quick off the snap but is susceptible to crack back blocks by TE while C and G can engage at the second level. Watch what the Niners did vs. Suh, another overaggressive DT.

I'm not saying that the defense isn't good, but if you are going to take away the run option, you need disciplined defenders, not overaggressive pass rushers. Am I missing an upgrade in your mind?

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I'd like to add a couple of other thoughts about your post Jikkle.

1) Other teams are going to notice what happen to RG3 running this offense.

2) There are not to many teams that have a QB that can run this offense. The 49ers do with Kaep. I won't advise using him against the Seahawks in this fashion. A certain infamous Cowboy fan referred to the Seahawks as thugs (in a complimentary way). He was right because the Seahawk pride themselves for their hard hitting defense (and offense), Kaep would have a bulls eye painted on his uniform if he tried do to the Seahawks what he did to the Packers.

3) I really don't think that offense will fly against our defense next year...I really don't.

Kaep is like Wilson in that they are both really intelligent runners in that they don't get greedy with yards and they get out of bounds and slide well in advance of taking a hit.

So the Seahawks can be as physical as they want but it's not going to matter if they can't get a decent hit in if Kaep is getting out of bounds and sliding.

RGIII is different from those guys because he runs stupid. He fights for meaningless yards and slides too late. Not to mention he doesn't have the body of a Kaepernick and Newton that is built to take a bit of a beating.

Don't get me wrong I believe Seattle will still have a top 5 defense but the run defense should be a legitimate concern as it looked pretty leaky at the end.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your right about Kaep and Wilson running smart. However I don't see either the Seahawks or the 49ers using the read option as there base offense. Franchise QBs are just to valuable.
Seahawks defense did have problems with the run last year. Some of that was due to Red not being in the best of health last year IMO. He's one of the keys on run defense.Hopefully he will enjoy a healthy season next year.
Another factor was having a rookie middle linebacker. Wagner did a good job, but I think it was a challenge to take in everything he needed, as far as reading his keys right, staying in the right gap, etc. Now that he has a full season under his belt I think we can hope for progress .

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the proper coaching from the D-line coach and D-coordinator, Avril and Bennett will become major upgrades to this defense. Add big Red healthy, this line becomes hard to run on. These guys will learn not to be over aggressive and become a better unit against the run.

Osprey 1984

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Dan Quinn can be more creative in blitz packages, and force the matter sometimes without exposing weaknesses.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes I'm hoping Quinn is more creative. Pressure on the QB is a must this year, if blitz is needed then do it.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's possible that the blitz will be used more than they had planned to use it if they don't have some of the options available to them that they thought they'd have when they added Avril and Bennett. With Irvin having to stay away for a month, Clemons' injury status up in the air for probably the first couple of months and the possibility of Avril's and Bennett's injuries potentially (and I can't stress the word 'potentially' enough here) hampering them from being 100% (or as close to 100% as a football player can get at any one time), it may force Quinn to do some things he hadn't planned on doing or at least to do some things more and some things less than he had planned to do.

We're still a long ways from the regular season and only Irvin's status is certain for that first month, so it's not panic time by any means, but I'm sure all of these things have combined to give Quinn more to think about.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regarding any defensive upgrades this year over last year, there aren't many weaknesses other than pass rush. We can only hope we have improved that with some of our new additions.
Red has a big effect on our run D. His sore foot last year did affect the team's production.
Winfield will also help. He is a monster tackler and is better in coverage and run D than Tru. Win should get lots of reps when the game is in doubt.
Now that Russ is out of his rookie season, our opponents will have to pass more against us which will improve our #'s on Run D.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's another article from fieldgull about the Seahawaks defense. Love these articles.

The Seahawks and the 4-3 Under Front: Winds of change? - Field Gulls

In the article they talk about the Seahawks using the 4-3 under front more.

Bryant said he'll return to being more of a penetrating, one-gap defensive end and playing mostly over the right tackle

Last year Red didn't play like Red. He says he never really recovered from the foot issues he had (plantar fascia). This year he should be fully recovered and playing in the 4-3 under front will allow him to be more of a play maker.

Watching the vid of a couple of good run plays in the Redskins game really shows Red just not getting the job done. I'm looking forward to the changes new DC will bring and better health from Red.