• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Deadwood

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They had the entire series on before the show. I remember watching it a couple years ago when I switched to xfinity and finally got into the on demand crowd. Sad part was, I dont remember how far I went into the second season.
Still, though, it was very good. Pretty sad the way things ended for Charlie, but it was nice to see how the balls had dropped. I guess I did not miss too much of the second season to throw me off for the movie.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was pretentious. Trying to be Shakespearean.

I guess on both counts, but it was also very clever and compelling. It worked for me, anyway.

I haven't seen any of the series, but I enjoyed the movie.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess on both counts, but it was also very clever and compelling. It worked for me, anyway.

series is great.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was pretentious. Trying to be Shakespearean.
I watched the movie tonight and definitely see what you were talking about; especially with the Hearst character. I thought you were talking about the series. My apologies.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The series was brilliant, the movie was decent.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else catch the Garret Dillahunt cameo?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you enjoyed the movie, I'd think you'd love the series, and it would make you appreciate certain things in the movie more.
Imo, it really is one of the greatest series of all time, and Al Swearengen is one of the greatest tv characters of all time, and this is coming from someone who avoided watching the series for years, 'cause I hate westerns.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched the movie tonight and definitely see what you were talking about; especially with the Hearst character. I thought you were talking about the series. My apologies.

I've always thought the series was Shakespeare with F and C Bombs from the beginning.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you enjoyed the movie, I'd think you'd love the series, and it would make you appreciate certain things in the movie more.
Imo, it really is one of the greatest series of all time, and Al Swearengen is one of the greatest tv characters of all time, and this is coming from someone who avoided watching the series for years, 'cause I hate westerns.

Twice when Al is sick (kidney stones and in this movie dying) he was outstanding.

Funny how you warmed up to him. In the beginning you weren't sure, in the end, much beloved. He and the Gimp were never explained though.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always thought the series was Shakespeare with F and C Bombs from the beginning.
I didn't notice the Shakespearean slant in the original but certainly did in the sequel. The director's reasoning for adding all the cursing even though that was not how they spoke back then was very interesting

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't notice the Shakespearean slant in the original but certainly did in the sequel. The director's reasoning for adding all the cursing even though that was not how they spoke back then was very interesting

Right from the get go it was apparent to me.

I actually do think they cursed a blue streak then. Why would they not have? And how would we know they didn't?

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right from the get go it was apparent to me.

I actually do think they cursed a blue streak then. Why would they not have? And how would we know they didn't?
DOn't know how he knew but I have the Director's Cut of the original Deadwood on a series of DVDs and he explains that in those days being called a "dastardly villain" was enough to get you shot and he said generally things got no worse than that, and that, though not well educated, most people in Deadwood were very eloquent and well spoken.
He said he tried to be accurate to the times with the language but dastardly villain does not have the same effect on today's audience as mother fucker or cock sucker. He chose those words for the effect they had on today's audience.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DOn't know how he knew but I have the Director's Cut of the original Deadwood on a series of DVDs and he explains that in those days being called a "dastardly villain" was enough to get you shot and he said generally things got no worse than that, and that, though not well educated, most people in Deadwood were very eloquent and well spoken.
He said he tried to be accurate to the times with the language but dastardly villain does not have the same effect on today's audience as mother fucker or cock sucker. He chose those words for the effect they had on today's audience.

I've got the box set too.

Still say we can't know for sure. They had electricity, bet they had good cuss words too.... Only 20 or so years from WWI.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got the box set too.

Still say we can't know for sure. They had electricity, bet they had good cuss words too.... Only 20 or so years from WWI.
My dad was a linguistics professor and he always said that cuss words were the most valuable words in the language for getting your point across. I loved that series and the language made it all the better. The dialogue was brilliant.
As for WWI, the Deadwood series takes place in 1876, nearly 40 years before the outbreak of The Great War in 1914.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My dad was a linguistics professor and he always said that cuss words were the most valuable words in the language for getting your point across. I loved that series and the language made it all the better. The dialogue was brilliant.
As for WWI, the Deadwood series takes place in 1876, nearly 40 years before the outbreak of The Great War in 1914.

Roger but the movie was supposedly 1889? Or I thought I read that.

They have been swearing since man was man. Likely before.

Deadwood was not Buckingham Palace.

Go back and really listen to how they speak in the very first episodes. Wild Bill is extremely Shakespearean to my ear.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, I watched the series back when it was live.

Do I have to refresh that before watching the movie?