• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dead Man Walking

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question

Would you rather have 9-4 Pelini or saban as coach?

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me? Right now? Saban. He would bring in a lot of 5* players just on his name recognition alone. You can win a lot of games with 5* players.

Question

Would Nebraska have a better chance at landing another middle of the road coach or Saban (and his ilk)?

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am still a firm believer that we could throw all the money in the world at a coach like Saban and they wouldn't sign up for this gig.

It's a tough one here at Nebraska.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe. But he ain't coming. Ever. So then who? Who else would come in here and immediately take this program to the next level simply by walking through the door?
A precious few, who might meet the requirements of many on here, are even capable of this. None of them would come here.

Last edited by a moderator:

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not gonna disagree with you on any of this. However, per the bolded: There are very few elite coaches. VERY few. They are spending their talents in or near recruiting hot beds. Nebraska is not in or near a recruiting hotbed.
-------
Don't know if elite is really what we need. It WOULD be nice to get one. Yet, Bob Devaney was not an elite coach NOR was he coaching at an elite school when we hired him.

bigred472

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe. But he ain't coming. Ever. So then who? Who else would come in here and immediately take this program to the next level simply by walking through the door?
A precious few, who might meet the requirements of many on here, are even capable of this. None of them would come here.
------
Dont' think anyone can come in and immediately take this program to another level right away---not even Saban. You're going to have to take into consideration graduating many of the recruits from the old coach. Players will have to get used to different practice sessions as well as the personalities of the new staff. Maybe even different offensive/defensive schemes. All that happy horseshit takes trust as well as time.

Gary Patterson (of TCU), and let me be clear I'm not advocating him for Nebraska per se, is on record as saying that he'll listen to all offers. Short of Saban and a couple of others who will probably retire where they are currently at, I think most HC in college football feel the same way. They'll listen to offers. And contrary to what some here think, the Huskers are not that far removed from their past greatness that it cannot be achieved again.

We have the stadium, we have the fan base, we have the facilities, we just have to stop being afraid of asking the right coaches.

GBR

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is Butch Davis still toxic? would love to have him head recruiting and Muschamp as DC..

anyway

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we aren't getting a big name coach from a big name school. As stated, we could throw money at Patterson and might be able to get him because the Nebraska name is way better than TCU.

i've had a really hard time figuring out the best replacement for Bo. i'd prefer someone with HC experience and SEC experience (the more recent the better).

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
------
Dont' think anyone can come in and immediately take this program to another level right away---not even Saban. You're going to have to take into consideration graduating many of the recruits from the old coach. Players will have to get used to different practice sessions as well as the personalities of the new staff. Maybe even different offensive/defensive schemes. All that happy horseshit takes trust as well as time.

Gary Patterson (of TCU), and let me be clear I'm not advocating him for Nebraska per se, is on record as saying that he'll listen to all offers. Short of Saban and a couple of others who will probably retire where they are currently at, I think most HC in college football feel the same way. They'll listen to offers. And contrary to what some here think, the Huskers are not that far removed from their past greatness that it cannot be achieved again.

We have the stadium, we have the fan base, we have the facilities, we just have to stop being afraid of asking the right coaches.

GBR

How many first year (at a school) head coaches has Pelini lost to? I can think of at least two. Urban and Mora.

Going by the theory that a head coach needs at least a year to install their systems, that should tell you all you need to know about Pelini.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many first year (at a school) head coaches has Pelini lost to? I can think of at least two. Urban and Mora.

Going by the theory that a head coach needs at least a year to install their systems, that should tell you all you need to know about Pelini.

Well there can't be too many because Bo only loses 4 games a year

bigred472

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

-------
Assuming he had a playbook that wasn't 10000 pages, maybe he could have won those to games as well
occasion14.gif

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
------

GBR

History says it can be done here. With the right guy. Devaney made it happen. He came, with 4 years HC experience, from Wyoming. I haven't looked, but wonder if there is someone out there now who is similar.

AHFox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can wait 25 years to "win the big one".

That's not the issue here though. Nebraska is light years away from just playing for "the big one". They can't even win a conference title. They have been a 3rd tier team (at best) for 13 years now.

It may have taken T.O. 25 years to "win the big one", but he won a lot of big games in that time period, at least played for "the big one" a bunch of times, and didn't get blown out when he ran into a team with a pulse.

Nebraska was never a laughing stock under T.O.

T.O. also made changes both on offense from pro style to option and defense from the 5-2 to the 4-3 to win those big games. T.O. was one of the best play callers on offense I've ever seen.

Bo needs to realize he might just need to make changes number one is S and C it has to change. Epley is in the building and Dobson needs to be shown the door. Second he needs to make changes on his staff a QB is really needed. One guy that would be on my radar would be Chris Wenike might be a dream but I'd go after him. I would go after Mike Ekeler to coach the Linebackers.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim McElwain from CSU would be a hell of a coach in lincoln I think

NE1tm2nv

The Power of RED
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,682.28
Fav. Team #1
I think Mike Ekeler got tired of being Bops pissin' post... While Mike was here, the linebacker play was outstanding as compared to now, but Bo was alway's up Mikes' ass for sumthin'ernother. Mike did wonders with Cody Glenn, but he seems to be a job jumper. He is currently the linebacker coach for Georgia.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the Bo Pelini radio show

Bo's response to a caller who questioned the direction of the program, Pelini responded: "If that isn't the right direction, then you have a conversation with (athletic director) Shawn Eichorst and they're free to go in another direction."

Here we go again. Bo knows he is on the hot seat and just cannot contain himself. He has no answers on how to change the defense or the offense(new coordinators is a good start, get rid of Barney Cotton, and can Ross Els)

I am sure there are more secret recordings of "Fuck the Nebraska fans!!."