• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: D'Backs @ M's; July 27th-29th

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wellington Castillo with D'Backs: 109 AB 8 HR 19 RBI .275/.363/.532
Mark Trumbo with Mariners: 145 AB 3 HR 13 RBI .234/.275/.338

Meanwhile the Mariners have someone in AAA who can put up better numbers than Trumbo (Montero), and our catching situation is utter shit.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go ahead and troll Jack Z Wellington. I hope you hit 2 more

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Meanwhile the Mariners have someone in AAA who can put up better numbers than Trumbo (Montero), and our catching situation is utter shit.

And Wladimir Balentien has hit 153 homers in 4 years in Japan including a 131 RBI season in 2013. :)

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm all for finding a solution to our catching problem, but Castillo taking Zunino's place isn't even close to being it. It would be a slight improvement to the offense, and a terrible detriment to our pitching staff. No pitchers want the likes of Castillo to be their everyday catcher.

Tip of the iceberg: in 90 games, Zunino has thrown out 20 stealing. In 44 games, Castillo has thrown out 2.

Trumbo and Montero have nothing to do with it any part of the discussion about catcher

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you have to look at it in two parts. The catcher part and the Trumbo part.

I don't think anyone was expecting Castillo to be the catcher of the future or even the starter. Point was to get someone who could play a couple of times a week or maybe someone who could allow Zunino to go down to AAA for a few weeks. The numbers he is putting up in Arizona don't mean anything to me. The point is he filled a giant hole on this team. Giving up Medina to get him was great.

I hated getting Trumbo the second it was announced. He doesn't fit this team or this ball park. That's a reason I am not a Cepedes fan either although I am getting off track here. The point is to build a team that can succeed here and Jack doesn't seem to give a damn about doing that. He started out to in his first few years and then after 2012 things changed. Unsure if it was hitting the panic button or what.

Bottom line is I don't care about Montero's or Castillo's numbers either but the trade was still a head scratcher in my mind. Even if Castillo goes down the tubes and Guerreo never pans.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you have to look at it in two parts. The catcher part and the Trumbo part.

I don't think anyone was expecting Castillo to be the catcher of the future or even the starter. Point was to get someone who could play a couple of times a week or maybe someone who could allow Zunino to go down to AAA for a few weeks. The numbers he is putting up in Arizona don't mean anything to me. The point is he filled a giant hole on this team. Giving up Medina to get him was great.

I hated getting Trumbo the second it was announced. He doesn't fit this team or this ball park. That's a reason I am not a Cepedes fan either although I am getting off track here. The point is to build a team that can succeed here and Jack doesn't seem to give a damn about doing that. He started out to in his first few years and then after 2012 things changed. Unsure if it was hitting the panic button or what.

Bottom line is I don't care about Montero's or Castillo's numbers either but the trade was still a head scratcher in my mind. Even if Castillo goes down the tubes and Guerreo never pans.

Glad you agree that Castillo shouldn't be our everyday catcher like his is for AZ right now.

Make him the backup catcher for the past couple of months for the M's using the exact scenario you described above, and go back and adjust his numbers.

How is that better than having Trumbo's numbers with Sucre as the backup catcher?

At worst, it's a draw.

To be clear, I'm not defending Z. I would never do that. :)

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is that better than having Trumbo's numbers with Sucre as the backup catcher?

At worst, it's a draw.

Fair question.

In terms of wins and losses probably doesn't mean a damn thing which is the bottom line. There are too many holes elsewhere. I think Trumbo was a better fit for last years team when they didn't have Cruz. The idea of either Trumbo or Cruz in the OF is a bad one.

However I will admit that having play first everyday may be the way to go. He probably increases his value there and Lomo is absolutely awful anyway so its worth a shot. Castillo is just a guy but being just a guy is an upgrade on this team a lot of the time.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with the last several posts, but am just soooooo tired of hearing about Castillo the savior. He didn't and never would have put up those numbers while playing for us. Period.

Safeco kills all hitters so just appreciate what Cruz has done for 3/4ths of a year.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BLOW

THEM

UP

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That may be true, but you know every bit as well as I that Castillo's numbers, or the AAA batter's either, are TOO good for Lincoln's master plan. The last thing he needs is someone who can actually hit; why have someone set a precedent for the rest of this sorry-ass bunch of quitters we call a baseball team?

Last edited:

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a point of clarification, Castillo isn't playing every day, he is basically platooning. He would be playing even less had Salty not spent time on the 15-day DL. So he is putting up those numbers while playing 60% of the time behind the plate. There is no argument about his arm...

Suns7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AZ is 2 games from .500 and you'd have to pay for a great fan thread like this on the Dbacks forum. I have to tip my hat to you Mariners fans. The team is lucky to have you. :thumb:

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AZ is 2 games from .500 and you'd have to pay for a great fan thread like this on the Dbacks forum. I have to tip my hat to you Mariners fans. The team is lucky to have you. :thumb:

I would rather have a good team and bad fans...lol.

johnfree63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with the last several posts, but am just soooooo tired of hearing about Castillo the savior. He didn't and never would have put up those numbers while playing for us. Period.

Safeco kills all hitters so just appreciate what Cruz has done for 3/4ths of a year.
I can't think of anyone who said he was the savior. I think the points have been

1. Castillo wasn't givin enough time to scout.
2. You already had Trumbo in the organization but his name was Jesus Montero
3. Montero deserved a legit shot the way he's preformed this year, starting with getting in shape in the off season
4. Ruggiano is still in the org and makes way more sense on the roster

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't think of anyone who said he was the savior. I think the points have been

3. Montero deserved a legit shot the way he's preformed this year, starting with getting in shape in the off season
Hopefully he stays under the radar while Jackie boy and Lloyd get canned. Then we can utilize him next year when a coach comes in that hopefully likes guys that get on base.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1- Castillo is a vet and didn't need to be scouted. He played slightly better with Cubs then he did with us. A backup catcher has little factor on the success of this team. We just are not that good for that to be a factor no matter how badly people want to cry over him. Until we got him, most that have whined about him never even heard of him. Move on like Castillo did.

2- Montero is not Trumbo. He he never averages 32 homers a year over a 3 year span in the majors. Montero does not play the OF even at a Trumbo ability.

3- Agreed, but not in place of Trumbo. In place of Morrison or at DH fine.

4- ????????????? Did you even see him play? He was horrible at the plate and puzzling in the field.

SMFH!

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
can't even enjoy watching felix pitch anymore :L
Says a lot when HE gives up. Four runs allowed in the first by him? You can't expect me to believe he actually tried anymore.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Who's ever called him the or even a savior though Zona? Most peoples gripe is that he is without question better than Sucre and the belief that Montero could provide just as much as Trumbo You're right his numbers really are irrelevant but there isn't a question that he is better than Sucre and a solid argument can be made that Montero could provide exactly what Trumbo has, maybe not the power but the Mariners don't need more power, they need better at bats. Generally a backup catcher isn't a big deal but with a guy like Zunino they must have a backup who can catch at least twice a week.

I would rather have a good team and bad fans...lol.

The good team with bad fans reside across from Safeco

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who's ever called him the or even a savior though Zona? Most peoples gripe is that he is without question better than Sucre and the belief that Montero could provide just as much as Trumbo You're right his numbers really are irrelevant but there isn't a question that he is better than Sucre and a solid argument can be made that Montero could provide exactly what Trumbo has, maybe not the power but the Mariners don't need more power, they need better at bats. Generally a backup catcher isn't a big deal but with a guy like Zunino they must have a backup who can catch at least twice a week.

The good team with bad fans reside across from Safeco

Bullshit

and

Bullshit