• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Da'Shawn hand open thread

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best Civil Engineering Programs | Top Engineering Schools | US News Best Graduate Schools

List of top civil engineering programs. I will save everyone the time and say that Alabama is #80. Can we please stop making this look like an academic decision?

As I have stated before, Academics is what the individual makes of it. Going to the best school in the world in any field only means you are riding the brand name, not that you are better educated than a student who went to a lesser school.

I have hired kids from little regional universities and technical colleges over kids that went to bigger schools because they knew more about the field they were interviewing for. Why did this happen, because they wanted to make more of their education than to just get a degree from a big name school. Its what you do with education and how you approach it thats important. This kid can get a fine education at Alabama, if thats what he wants.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I have stated before, Academics is what the individual makes of it. Going to the best school in the world in any field only means you are riding the brand name, not that you are better educated than a student who went to a lesser school.

I have hired kids from little regional universities and technical colleges over kids that went to bigger schools because they knew more about the field they were interviewing for. Why did this happen, because they wanted to make more of their education than to just get a degree from a big name school. Its what you do with education and how you approach it thats important. This kid can get a fine education at Alabama, if thats what he wants.
Probably the wrong place to have this discussion but I disagree completely. You are correct that some kids from less recognized schools can outperform their counterparts, but the general findings are that both the students and the programs are superior at top ranked universities. It is similar to comparing a 5* athlete to a 3* athlete. We all can tell stories about the walk-on that excelled but when you look at the NFL draft, it is full of former 4 & 5* kids.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably the wrong place to have this discussion but I disagree completely. You are correct that some kids from less recognized schools can outperform their counterparts, but the general findings are that both the students and the programs are superior at top ranked universities. It is similar to comparing a 5* athlete to a 3* athlete. We all can tell stories about the walk-on that excelled but when you look at the NFL draft, it is full of former 4 & 5* kids.

My comment is not on the perception of one university versus another, its on the education that one can get from any school and that is all i was stating. I know that Universities like Stanford, Vandy, Duke Michigan have fine reputations as academic schools. I also know that just because a kid goes to one of these doesnt make him any more intelligent in the long run than a kid who chose a different school and made the absolute most of his educational chances and rose above the norm for a certain school. To me is called snobbery and I dont go in for it when looking at resumes, i look at what the person has done in the field i am hiring for and when interviewing them, if they can answer questions above what they should know in the field and career area i am hiring them for.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disappointing, but not surprising. When I saw that Alabama was in his top 3, I knew it was cause for concern. Well, can't blame him and wish him well.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm kinda surprised Saban didn't steer him to Texas.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My comment is not on the perception of one university versus another, its on the education that one can get from any school and that is all i was stating. I know that Universities like Stanford, Vandy, Duke Michigan have fine reputations as academic schools. I also know that just because a kid goes to one of these doesnt make him any more intelligent in the long run than a kid who chose a different school and made the absolute most of his educational chances and rose above the norm for a certain school. To me is called snobbery and I dont go in for it when looking at resumes, i look at what the person has done in the field i am hiring for and when interviewing them, if they can answer questions above what they should know in the field and career area i am hiring them for.

My background is math so I look at it like this; The best and brightest go to the top rated schools and are taught by the best and brightest educators. MIT, Caltech, Stanford and Michigan (screw the ivy league) have the best facilities, bar none. They provide a better opportunity and a higher ceiling for students, without exception. Students at those schools are exposed to things not available elsewhere, without exception. It doesn't guarantee they will continue to excel post graduate but it gives them a leg up. If you are hiring students directly out of college, you are shorting yourself with your attitude.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was Saban earlier today when told of the great news that Hand had committed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My background is math so I look at it like this; The best and brightest go to the top rated schools and are taught by the best and brightest educators. MIT, Caltech, Stanford and Michigan (screw the ivy league) have the best facilities, bar none. They provide a better opportunity and a higher ceiling for students, without exception. Students at those schools are exposed to things not available elsewhere, without exception. It doesn't guarantee they will continue to excel post graduate but it gives them a leg up. If you are hiring students directly out of college, you are shorting yourself with your attitude.

no i dont hire kids right out of college because many colleges dont teach(or wont say they teach) what i hire for.

I have a friend who i encouraged to get his education. Due to his age and time constraints, he chose a small regional University. He was in the Bachelors phase of his education and came upon a recruiter for government jobs. He got an interview for a position with a little three letter group out of Washington and had to interview against several candidates including two from MIT. Long story short, he got the job because he excelled in his education at a no name school and didnt let the bigger names intimidate him. He went for what he knows.

I see your point, i also see that generic brands can be just as tasty and the brand names at a fraction of the cost.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was Saban earlier today when told of the great news that Hand had committed.

Saban only wishes he could be as cool as Christopher Walken. To be fair, the Dos Equis guy wears Chrisopher Walken pajamas to bed.

Last edited by a moderator: