• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

dang that hurt!!!!!

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That line up would be insane. There's absolutely no letup until the 8th spot, and that guy aint too shabby either.

i think with those players, Fielder would bat 3rd.

kinsler
andrus
fielder
hamilton
beltre
young
cruz
napoli
martin/gentry

3rd thru 8th would be a new murder's row.

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nah i like mine
ian
young
hamilton
fielder
beltre
cruz
napoli
gentry/martin/????
elvis

we keep elvis and ian back to back for the speed and setting up the big bats(if we get prince)....but i was also wondering how we good move josh/fielder apart to split up the b2b lefties

1502tuley

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i think with those players, Fielder would bat 3rd.

kinsler
andrus
fielder
hamilton
beltre
young
cruz
napoli
martin/gentry

3rd thru 8th would be a new murder's row.

I like that order except for Andrus. I like him in the bottom third of the order. He's killer when he gets on, but his bat isn't nearly as reliable as many others in the dugout.

I also don't like Kins batting 1st unless he stops that uppercut swing he fell into in the latter part of the season. We need him to get on base rather than trying to go yard. I don't think you can have your lead off batter popping up over half of the time. Anyway, he's strong enough to put it over the fense without the uppercut.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like that order except for Andrus. I like him in the bottom third of the order. He's killer when he gets on, but his bat isn't nearly as reliable as many others in the dugout.

I also don't like Kins batting 1st unless he stops that uppercut swing he fell into in the latter part of the season. We need him to get on base rather than trying to go yard. I don't think you can have your lead off batter popping up over half of the time. Anyway, he's strong enough to put it over the fense without the uppercut.

well then you have to have a good hitting fast CF'er lead off, move Kinsler to batting 2nd.

CF'er
Kinsler
Fielder/Pujols
Hamilton
Beltre
Young
Cruz
Napoli
Andrus

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that one could work

so who do we get as a CF'er? because Martin is not ready and Gentry isn't lead-off material and Borbon couldn't hit his way out of a paper bag. who's available in FA that we could get with a 1-year deal?

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The braves would take either.......just sayin

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh God, back to this old song and dance about Ian's uppercut swing? How many times do we have to go over this. Ian is a good leadoff man. He gets on base a lot (which is his primary job) and he has the ability to put his team on top right off the bat. Look at all his numbers not just his BA.

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you don't respect my baseball opinions? Read up a bit on what scouts say about Julio Borbon. One of them actually called him a zero tool player. Zero. That is actually hard to be in the big leagues.

Who are the scouts? According to bleacher report here are the 5 tools:

Speed, power, contact, glove work and a cannon arm.

Seems to me Borbon has got that 1st one wrapped up pretty darned well seeing as how he is one of the fastest players on any 40 man roster. You can't be a zero tool guy when you have 1 ability that is actually tremendous. And because of his speed he also isn't bad defensively either. He isn't great, by no means but the guy can run down a lot of balls.

Then there is contact. He actually makes decent contact. In 745 career plate appearances spread out over 3 seasons he has a lifetime .284 batting average which if you want to get technical about it is higher than Kinslers.

Borbon's problems aren't that he doesn't possess tools. By anyone's definition he has 3 of the 5 tools. His problems are that he isn't the brightest bulb and therefore makes mistakes on where to throw the ball plus he doesn't have the arm strength to keep guys from taking the extra base. He doesn't take enough walks causing his on base % to be low and for all of his speed he really isn't a dynamic base stealer, yet. And of course we know he doesn't have any power but that doesn't really matter anyway. Oh, and he was hurt this year.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seems to me Borbon has got that 1st one wrapped up pretty darned well seeing as how he is one of the fastest players on any 40 man roster. You can't be a zero tool guy when you have 1 ability that is actually tremendous. And because of his speed he also isn't bad defensively either. He isn't great, by no means but the guy can run down a lot of balls.

Then there is contact. He actually makes decent contact. In 745 career plate appearances spread out over 3 seasons he has a lifetime .284 batting average which if you want to get technical about it is higher than Kinslers.

Borbon's problems aren't that he doesn't possess tools. By anyone's definition he has 3 of the 5 tools. His problems are that he isn't the brightest bulb and therefore makes mistakes on where to throw the ball plus he doesn't have the arm strength to keep guys from taking the extra base. He doesn't take enough walks causing his on base % to be low and for all of his speed he really isn't a dynamic base stealer, yet. And of course we know he doesn't have any power but that doesn't really matter anyway. Oh, and he was hurt this year.

Stop Ginger. You are responding to him withe legitimate baseball logic. There's no place for that in a conversation with jaar because it usually makes him wrong.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Borbon has the speed no argument to cover the field but that's about it. that's why he was sent down

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Borbon has the speed no argument to cover the field but that's about it. that's why he was sent down

He also is a pretty good contact hitter as well. Some of you guys may have forgotten he was showing pretty well when he got hurt. That is why he wound up in AAA. He wasn't sent down due to ineptitude. He got hurt...Remember?

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh God, back to this old song and dance about Ian's uppercut swing? How many times do we have to go over this. Ian is a good leadoff man. He gets on base a lot (which is his primary job) and he has the ability to put his team on top right off the bat. Look at all his numbers not just his BA.

Ian was a terrific lead off man this season. The only reason, in my lineup, that I dropped him to 2 was because MY hits into a ton of double plays and Ian has more power. Therefore, if I invert the two I get more runs scored and the likelihood of the really big boppers coming to the plate more often. Also, with the speedsters at the bottom of the lineup if one or two are on base then they could do a hit and run with MY. Of course, can do the same with him in the #2 slot. In this lineup, I can't envision MY being cleanup hitter anymore.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ian was a terrific lead off man this season. The only reason, in my lineup, that I dropped him to 2 was because MY hits into a ton of double plays and Ian has more power. Therefore, if I invert the two I get more runs scored and the likelihood of the really big boppers coming to the plate more often. Also, with the speedsters at the bottom of the lineup if one or two are on base then they could do a hit and run with MY. Of course, can do the same with him in the #2 slot. In this lineup, I can't envision MY being cleanup hitter anymore.

I tend to agree with you. Young could be an excellent lead off hitter. In my opinion he should be either leadoff or somewhere around #6-#7.

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MY is not a leadoff hitter or a cleanup hitter. 6 or 7 sounds about right.

And having a power 1st baseman would be nice, but I'd rather the 20-25 mil it would take to sign one be allocated to pitching. Plus, some core guys are hitting FA in the next 1-3 years. Need to be able to keep them. I do like the Cuddyer possibility, seems like a decent fit with Texas. I suspect Pujols returns to St Louis and Fielder goes to the Cubs, Nationals, or out West.

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And another scout said Borbon does have speed, but his speed gets canceled out because his baseball IQ is one of the lowest he has ever seen. "Absolutely no feel for the game, not a single baseball instinct."

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MY is not a leadoff hitter or a cleanup hitter. 6 or 7 sounds about right.

And having a power 1st baseman would be nice, but I'd rather the 20-25 mil it would take to sign one be allocated to pitching. Plus, some core guys are hitting FA in the next 1-3 years. Need to be able to keep them. I do like the Cuddyer possibility, seems like a decent fit with Texas. I suspect Pujols returns to St Louis and Fielder goes to the Cubs, Nationals, or out West.

the time is now if the rangers dont go "all in" now when will they .....prince plays just about every game unlike cruz,josh,ian and we can keep everyone and still get prince and be around 140-150 mil payroll....if the owners wanna back up there talk about bumping payroll up lets do it know get prince and a pitcher any way we can FA/trade.....we got money coming off the books and we are going to just keeping making more with deep play-off runs--- 2013 payroll now is estimated at 97 mil with all options and arb. and 2014 drops to 73..2015 65 mil

1502tuley

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Would he however get on base more if he stopped the uppercut? I think the answer would be yes

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would he however get on base more if he stopped the uppercut? I think the answer would be yes

the uppercut swing is a natural part of his swing. the issue is when he exaggerates the uppercut trying to go for the fences. when he reduces it to his normal uppercut level he drives the ball and if he would slow down his swing a little he would drive it to all fields, i think one the clowns calling the game pointed out that Kins rarely hits a ball to center or right which is what we need from him.