• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dallas Mavericks what they should do

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am just thinking this in my head I do not know what the Mavericks salary cap situation looks like but I think they are interested in signing Demarcus Cousins. IF the mavericks can pull off this sign do you guys think they should also go after Julius Randle? Randle is from the Dallas area so their starting lineup will be

Dennis Smith
Luka Doncic
Harrison Barnes
Julius Randle
Demarcus Cousins

With Dirk off the bench and some other pieces but how does everyone feel about that lineup? Do you think they can be a 3rd seed in the West?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am just thinking this in my head I do not know what the Mavericks salary cap situation looks like but I think they are interested in signing Demarcus Cousins. IF the mavericks can pull off this sign do you guys think they should also go after Julius Randle? Randle is from the Dallas area so their starting lineup will be

Dennis Smith
Luka Doncic
Harrison Barnes
Julius Randle
Demarcus Cousins

With Dirk off the bench and some other pieces but how does everyone feel about that lineup? Do you think they can be a 3rd seed in the West?

Some major flaws here.

First, no, they can't sign both Cousins and Randle. 2nd, if they get Cousins, he is missing significant time this year. 3rd, signing one of those guys along with the Doncic acquisition does make them a legit playoff contender, but no way in hell they rise to the 3rd seed.

Lastly, until proven otherwise, Cousins has always posted major stat lines, but has never been able to elevate teams and help them win. He is inefficient and he makes a lot of mistakes. DSJ, while talented is another guy whose stats look better than his actual contributions, at least at this point. My bet is that even if they do get Cousins they still miss the playoffs. Because the West is still really awesome, and I don't think Doncic will be able to carry them there as a rookie.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Barnes is better off as a 4, but from the mavs perspective he's better off on another roster.

He was essentially replacement level last year.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mavericks should bring in some quality but not max level talent and let the young guys develop. Matthews contract is an expiring contract so they will have a ton of cap space next year.

Signing someone like Boogie right now is a really risky move.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mavericks should bring in some quality but not max level talent and let the young guys develop. Matthews contract is an expiring contract so they will have a ton of cap space next year.

Signing someone like Boogie right now is a really risky move.

Boogie is out most of the year anyway.

Kids get to develop, and you can hopefully get a decent run (say 20 games) to start to ease Boogie in and see how he fits with the rest of the core (basically DS and Doncic).

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back up the brinks truck for Cousins.

Doncic was a steal.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dennis Smith
Luka Doncic
Harrison Barnes
Julius Randle
Demarcus Cousins

3rd seed? :lol:

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some major flaws here.

First, no, they can't sign both Cousins and Randle. 2nd, if they get Cousins, he is missing significant time this year. 3rd, signing one of those guys along with the Doncic acquisition does make them a legit playoff contender, but no way in hell they rise to the 3rd seed.

Lastly, until proven otherwise, Cousins has always posted major stat lines, but has never been able to elevate teams and help them win. He is inefficient and he makes a lot of mistakes. DSJ, while talented is another guy whose stats look better than his actual contributions, at least at this point. My bet is that even if they do get Cousins they still miss the playoffs. Because the West is still really awesome, and I don't think Doncic will be able to carry them there as a rookie.

Right. Now they might have enpugh to get Cousins/Capela and Randle. Is Dirk coming back? I thought he is retiring? Anyway with the rookie contracts they are looking at around $65-66mil as of right now. That is good enough for one Max guy Cousins/Capela but what is Randle asking for? Lets say he asking for around $24 mil they could sign him as well but the ONLY way is to get Wesley Matthews $18M contract off the books.
Paying Cousins $30M and Randle around $20-24 they can squeeze both guys in but very unlikely considering they have to get a $20M contract off the books without taking any back. Even if they were to get a combination of those guys I still don’t have them as a 3rd seed. They would still be young with Smith. doncic, Barnes and Randle but the future would be looking good especially since I feel they had a really good draft getting Brunson too

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think Capella would be a better target for them, but Houston isn't letting him get away.

It would be worth it just to make Houston pay the max for Capella. Put them in luxury tax hell.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be worth it just to make Houston pay the max for Capella. Put them in luxury tax hell.

They would be up to Cleveland, GS, Miami, OKC territory giving Capela max, maybe higher

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right. Now they might have enpugh to get Cousins/Capela and Randle. Is Dirk coming back? I thought he is retiring? Anyway with the rookie contracts they are looking at around $65-66mil as of right now. That is good enough for one Max guy Cousins/Capela but what is Randle asking for? Lets say he asking for around $24 mil they could sign him as well but the ONLY way is to get Wesley Matthews $18M contract off the books.
Paying Cousins $30M and Randle around $20-24 they can squeeze both guys in but very unlikely considering they have to get a $20M contract off the books without taking any back. Even if they were to get a combination of those guys I still don’t have them as a 3rd seed. They would still be young with Smith. doncic, Barnes and Randle but the future would be looking good especially since I feel they had a really good draft getting Brunson too

Rockets are at about $65.5M with Dirk (team option) if they cut any unguaranteed contracts (Finney-Smith, Collinsworth, Kleber). Are the Mavs keeping any of McDermott, Curry, Ferrell, Harrison, Mejri? Assuming they aren't, (or Noel for that matter), you have to add $6.5M for Doncic and a cap hold for 5 empty roster spots (up to 12) of $4.2M for a total of about $76M.

So, the Rockets have about $25M to play with in free agency at the most (plus need to sign those 2nd rounders).

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True,

But at the same time, an offer on Capella most likely prohibits them from making one on Randle orCousins.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cousins is a good player but not sure his going to a team that is rebuilding like Dallas is in his or the team's best interest.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cousins is a good player but not sure his going to a team that is rebuilding like Dallas is in his or the team's best interest.

I wouldn't want him around young, impressionable players. Sounds like a Cuban move though...