• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Curt Schilling is an ass

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t disagree with your decision to delineate but I do have a problem with the all time hits leader not being in the Hall of Fame. I would be ok with what @msgkings322 proposed and that would be the veterans committee putting him in posthumously.
Posthumously is a different discussion. I have always avoided that side of the argument because I think that muddies the waters and I am not certain where I sit on that “fight” anyway.

But I am 100%, vehemently opposed to him getting in while alive and will “fight” anyone who argues that “he has been punished enough”. He has not “been punished enough”. He AGREED to the sentence (supposedly to avoid further discredit).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, you have to remember that the people that vote, do so with one hand while holding onto their bar stools with the other.
We have discussed and considered the topic more in this thread than most voters have considered it in their entire careers. A lot of them vote purely for the purpose of driving clicks. Like anyone who votes FOR Bonds but not Clemens, or vice versa. They are both CLEAR HOFers save for one issue. If that issue is a thing for you, then they BOTH should be out for you. If the issue isn’t a thing for you, they should BOTH be in. Neither of them are borderline in any way. And those who vote for Pappi or IRod or Sosa or McGwire or ARod or Pettit or Gagne or (…) and not voting for B or C and then posting their ballots are just self aggrandizing assholes.

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have discussed and considered the topic more in this thread than most voters have considered it in their entire careers. A lot of them vote purely for the purpose of driving clicks. Like anyone who votes FOR Bonds but not Clemens, or vice versa. They are both CLEAR HOFers save for one issue. If that issue is a thing for you, then they BOTH should be out for you. If the issue isn’t a thing for you, they should BOTH be in. Neither of them are borderline in any way. And those who vote for Pappi or IRod or Sosa or McGwire or ARod or Pettit or Gagne or (…) and not voting for B or C and then posting their ballots are just self aggrandizing assholes.
"Aggrandizing" is the word of the thread and my new favourite!!!!!!

I hope to aggrandize myself by using words as great as this!!!

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It works in the other direction as well. Ozzie Smith and Harold Baines come to mind as players who really aren’t HOF worthy, but are in for non-baseball reasons.
Ozzie Smith isn’t HOF worth?

500+ stolen bases and the best defensive player ever at the most important position seems more than enough.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t disagree with your decision to delineate but I do have a problem with the all time hits leader not being in the Hall of Fame. I would be ok with what @msgkings322 proposed and that would be the veterans committee putting him in posthumously.
Pete only has to do one thing to get in.

Die.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
500+ stolen bases and the best defensive player ever at the most important position seems more than enough.

This seems to get lost in the Ozzie-Omar debate. Ozzie stole 176 more bases while getting caught 19 fewer times. Not only that, but Ozzie also had a better career OPS+ (87 to 82) while playing in a timeframe where there was even less offensive production from shortstops. Ozzie had -117 rbat while Omar had -244. Ozzie had four seasons with an OPS+ of 100 or higher while Omar had only two. Ozzie had nine of 90+ and Omar had 7. Ozzie had ten seasons of 5+ WAR while Omar had a whopping one.

Even if you were to assume they were equal defensively and reflected that in WAR, Ozzie would still have a massive advantage.

Omar might be the most overrated player of all-time.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ozzie Smith isn’t HOF worth?

Room for argument. I already had this discussion up-thread.

But my primary point was the bigger Ozzie vs Omar comparison and how their non-baseball “activities” effected their HOF standing (flip vs “dalliances”)

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Room for argument. I already had this discussion up-thread.

But my primary point was the bigger Ozzie vs Omar comparison and how their non-baseball “activities” effected their HOF standing (flip vs “dalliances”)

Maybe Omar should have tried not being a piece of shit?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This seems to get lost in the Ozzie-Omar debate. Ozzie stole 176 more bases while getting caught 19 fewer times. Not only that, but Ozzie also had a better career OPS+ (87 to 82) while playing in a timeframe where there was even less offensive production from shortstops. Ozzie had -117 rbat while Omar had -244. Ozzie had four seasons with an OPS+ of 100 or higher while Omar had only two. Ozzie had nine of 90+ and Omar had 7. Ozzie had ten seasons of 5+ WAR while Omar had a whopping one.

Even if you were to assume they were equal defensively and reflected that in WAR, Ozzie would still have a massive advantage.

Omar might be the most overrated player of all-time.
If Omar didn’t wear blouses I’d say he should be in too.

But…

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best defenders at every position are all in.

Except Andruw Jones. Who I gotta assume will be eventually.

And after looking, left field. But Barry Bonds is special circumstances. And nobody plays left because they’re really good at.

And apologies to Keith Hernandez.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best defenders at every position are all in.

Except Andruw Jones. Who I gotta assume will be eventually.

And after looking, left field. But Barry Bonds is special circumstances. And nobody plays left because they’re really good at.

And apologies to Keith Hernandez.
I think it would be a stretch to let Hernandez in, but he wouldn’t be the most undeserving member.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t see Keith getting in.

But Bill Mazeroski is in, so I’ll never say never.
My wife taught Mazeroski’s grand son. Not sure why that’s important. Just thought you should know.