• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current Roster

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll, Gorkys needs to get his ABs...

Boch just said that after the ABS, he wants to give Mac "lots of time"

Overall, I figured that's what would happen back in May. We'd have to suffer through the vets through the trade deadline , but basically after that it would be a kids' show.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nunez activated from the DL
Mac sent back to Sac-town

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Overall, I figured that's what would happen back in May. We'd have to suffer through the vets through the trade deadline , but basically after that it would be a kids' show.

Pence is an excellent clubhouse guy, full of energy, encouraging, etc. But at some point, you gotta wonder when Pence, despite his huge salary, will become a bench player. He has not been delivering at the plate (who has?), but his OF defense has been atrocious. His ironman days of playing 162 are over. PH him and give him two-three starts a week?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF?

The only explanation, IMHO, is that the Giants have given up on Mac.

I understand the need to play Nunez. I am good with that. Even at the expense of PT for Hwang in the short term.

I also acknowledge that Gorkys has been playing kinda well the last few weeks. But he has zero trade value, and will continue to have zero trade value. Why keep him around? Give Mac a shot to fail in SF. Letting him rot in Sacto is pointless.

And why is Gonor still around? He HAS to be the casualty when Parker is activated next week, right??

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF?

I understand the need to play Nunez. I am good with that. Even at the expense of PT for Hwang in the short term.

I also acknowledge that Gorkys has been playing kinda well the last few weeks. But he has zero trade value, and will continue to have zero trade value. Why keep him around? Give Mac a shot to fail in SF. Letting him rot in Sacto is pointless.

And why is Gonor still around? He HAS to be the casualty when Parker is activated next week, right??
Ridiculous. Why is two weeks a measure on a guy's future? What happened to playing the kids? The one kid in the outfield, Slater, is down with an injury. Now, its Hernandez, Span and Pence. Maybe Hernandez is a kid compared to the other two but they need to be serious about playing the kids. What exactly did Williamson do between his call up and today to make the org go from saying that they would play him for a while to giving up on him?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nunez activated from the DL
Mac sent back to Sac-town

tenor.gif

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ridiculous. Why is two weeks a measure on a guy's future? What happened to playing the kids? The one kid in the outfield, Slater, is down with an injury. Now, its Hernandez, Span and Pence. Maybe Hernandez is a kid compared to the other two but they need to be serious about playing the kids. What exactly did Williamson do between his call up and today to make the org go from saying that they would play him for a while to giving up on him?

Like Cal alluded to, gotta get Nunez out there to prove that he's healthy. I have no problem with that. But my god, Gonor and Hernandez are just wasted space. G's are playing some serious mind games with Mac

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF?

The thing about Gorkys' last few weeks is that he's the exact same player. Same walk rates, same K rates, same (lack of) power, same terrible defense. The only thing that's improved is his batting average, and it's bloated by an extreme BABIP. So he's just hot right now, I'd be encouraged if he was showing some growth as a player, but he's not.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In defense of the org, we have idea about the personality of Mac. Maybe he doesn't take coaching well. Maybe he has a particular hole in his swing that is simply too critical for the MLB level. Maybe ... I don't know... he ASKED to be sent down.

This move makes so much no sense (I know that is worded awkwardly, but it really hits what I am trying to say) that there HAS to be more to the story.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bum activated from 60-day
Cueto placed on 10-day

I found a transaction from 7/1 where the Giants placed Gregorio on the restricted list. I suppose this removes the player from the 40-man, but I thought drug suspensions were supposed to punish the team as well as the player, so I don't understand how this works. Anyway, Gregorio is no longer listed on the teams 40-man...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am glad to see Calixte back up. Not sure he is truly a worthwhile asset, but that is why it is worth taking a look, right?

I am not sure I care either way about Suarez. I would rather take a look at Rogers or Reynolds, but they aren't on the 40...

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bum activated from 60-day
Cueto placed on 10-day

I found a transaction from 7/1 where the Giants placed Gregorio on the restricted list. I suppose this removes the player from the 40-man, but I thought drug suspensions were supposed to punish the team as well as the player, so I don't understand how this works. Anyway, Gregorio is no longer listed on the teams 40-man...
Apparently, the suspended players don't count against the 40 man roster. The team's webpage does not list him at all.

Also, I saw that the 40 man roster lists Ryder Jones as in the minor leagues and not on the disabled list. Additionally, Sacramento's roster lists him as active and not on a rehab assignment. Apparently, he got activated and optioned. The team's transaction page list him as optioned on July 18th.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently, the suspended players don't count against the 40 man roster. The team's webpage does not list him at all.

Also, I saw that the 40 man roster lists Ryder Jones as in the minor leagues and not on the disabled list. Additionally, Sacramento's roster lists him as active and not on a rehab assignment. Apparently, he got activated and optioned. The team's transaction page list him as optioned on July 18th.

Yeah I don't think he even rehabbed, just went straight to Sac. If he's not up come August 1st, imma be pissed.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I don't think he even rehabbed, just went straight to Sac. If he's not up come August 1st, imma be pissed.
Why call him up? Sandoval and Nunez need to play...

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My gut reaction on Sandoval is that he's given a week at San Jose, regardless of how good or bad he looks, and gets his contract purchased as soon as someone (likely Nunez) gets traded. Then, he's entrenched on the roster for the rest of the season. Panda 2.0 is coming and he'll be here until October at least.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My gut reaction on Sandoval is that he's given a week at San Jose, regardless of how good or bad he looks, and gets his contract purchased as soon as someone (likely Nunez) gets traded. Then, he's entrenched on the roster for the rest of the season. Panda 2.0 is coming and he'll be here until October at least.

Luckily the Giants have said a number of times that Sandoval will be down there awhile. He's going to spend tonight in San Jose for 1 final game, then head to Sacramento and play a few weeks. Then they'll reevaluate.

Doesn't mean they'll follow that plan, and it's inevitable that he's going to suit up in SF at some point regardless if he's terrible or great.