• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Current Roster

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This move shocks me. I wasn't expecting it at all. His numbers are decent at AAA but he hardly shows enough pop from my perspective. Heck, Ruggiano's numbers at AAA were better and they just let him walk. I really don't get the handling on Williamson at all and I think Parker needs more of a chance too. Honestly, they didn't get give Calixte much of a chance. I would guess that Moncrief will get some of the same treatment. Hernandez and Pence will continue to get run out there regularly and Moncrief will get only so much playing time.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This move shocks me. I wasn't expecting it at all. His numbers are decent at AAA but he hardly shows enough pop from my perspective. Heck, Ruggiano's numbers at AAA were better and they just let him walk. I really don't get the handling on Williamson at all and I think Parker needs more of a chance too. Honestly, they didn't get give Calixte much of a chance. I would guess that Moncrief will get some of the same treatment. Hernandez and Pence will continue to get run out there regularly and Moncrief will get only so much playing time.

I read that Bochy said Moncrief will get some pinch hitting opportunities. Damn the PH opportunities. Bring the kid up and let him play! We already know what Span and Pence are doing, and they are not getting much better. Still, perhaps this will be like Nunez, and they will play through the trade deadline, then taper off.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that Bochy said Moncrief will get some pinch hitting opportunities. Damn the PH opportunities. Bring the kid up and let him play! We already know what Span and Pence are doing, and they are not getting much better. Still, perhaps this will be like Nunez, and they will play through the trade deadline, then taper off.
I really doubt we see much movement on seeing the kids play. I thought that maybe, with guys like Belt, Panik, Crawford, Posey and Bumgarner, the FO would treat this kind of season differently than what they did pre-2010 but it really feels like the same old philosophy. Play a bunch of broken down vets and throw a kid for a week or play him sporadic and then declare it didn't work and get another vet.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really doubt we see much movement on seeing the kids play. I thought that maybe, with guys like Belt, Panik, Crawford, Posey and Bumgarner, the FO would treat this kind of season differently than what they did pre-2010 but it really feels like the same old philosophy. Play a bunch of broken down vets and throw a kid for a week or play him sporadic and then declare it didn't work and get another vet.

Pence is hitting .178 in July. For his own sake, and to develop the kids, wouldn't it make sense for Pence to get 2-3 games off per week? Instead, he has started every game except one in July so far.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think may be playing Pence to TRY to trade him. Maybe they have someone who is interested who will pay 1/4 of his salary or something. I also think Span HAS to play. He is a decent trade chip at this point.

Come August, and maybe into August, the playing strategy should change, though. The FO has enough cache, IMHO, to trust what they are doing. I will give them at least another 2-3 weeks to see what happens.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hwang called up. No word on the corresponding move yet.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Official...

Hwang up
Stratton to 10-day DL

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jarret Parker. He is nearing the end of his 20 day rehab assignment. What happens to him? According to my rough calculations, he started his current rehab assignment on July 13th (that being his first game), which means he hits his 20th day tomorrow, August 1st. Now, he did originally start a rehab assignment on Jun 19th and went all the way to July 6th (18 days into the assignment) before there was an "issue" and the Giants had to reset his rehab by sitting him off the RiverCats roster for a week.

So what do you all see happening with him? Does he get activated tomorrow? If so, who's spot on the 40 and 25 does he take? Does he get released? Does he suddenly have another "setback" and gets his rehab clock re-started?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jarret Parker. He is nearing the end of his 20 day rehab assignment. What happens to him? According to my rough calculations, he started his current rehab assignment on July 13th (that being his first game), which means he hits his 20th day tomorrow, August 1st. Now, he did originally start a rehab assignment on Jun 19th and went all the way to July 6th (18 days into the assignment) before there was an "issue" and the Giants had to reset his rehab by sitting him off the RiverCats roster for a week.

So what do you all see happening with him? Does he get activated tomorrow? If so, who's spot on the 40 and 25 does he take? Does he get released? Does he suddenly have another "setback" and gets his rehab clock re-started?
I would HOPE that Moncrief is let go. Don't know if I understand what the FO is doing right now to be able to properly anticipate their moves.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would HOPE that Moncrief is let go. Don't know if I understand what the FO is doing right now to be able to properly anticipate their moves.
I would think that they make the easy move and let Morse go. He's already gone, why waste a 40 man spot on him? Then they can option Moncrief and Parker gets activated.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think that they make the easy move and let Morse go. He's already gone, why waste a 40 man spot on him? Then they can option Moncrief and Parker gets activated.
I doubt Moncrief has options. I don't know this, but he is a bit old to still have options.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did you find this out?

First, I looked when he was first added to a 40-man roster, November 20th 2013. Then I counted how many seasons he was optioned, which was 2 (March 2014, March 2015). Then he was DFA'd in 2015, signed in November 2015 with the Giants on a minor league deal. Signed another MiLB deal this offseason. No options used then.

He cannot refuse assignment because he has less than 5 years of service time (currently 5 days), so he still has 1 option remaining. His veteran MiLB status doesn't matter.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, I looked when he was first added to a 40-man roster, November 20th 2013. Then I counted how many seasons he was optioned, which was 2 (March 2014, March 2015). Then he was DFA'd in 2015, signed in November 2015 with the Giants on a minor league deal. Signed another MiLB deal this offseason. No options used then.

He cannot refuse assignment because he has less than 5 years of service time (currently 5 days), so he still has 1 option remaining. His veteran MiLB status doesn't matter.
Wouldn't that mean he has 2 options remaining, than?

Players start with 4...

2014 (3)
2014 (2)

If he gets sent down in favor of Parker, that would mean he still has an option to use next season.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't that mean he has 2 options remaining, than?

Players start with 4...

2014 (3)
2014 (2)

If he gets sent down in favor of Parker, that would mean he still has an option to use next season.

Players get 3.

Players on a 40-man roster are given three Minor League "options." An option allows that player to be sent to the Minor Leagues ("optioned") without first being subjected to waivers. When a player is optioned to the Minors for a span of more than 20 days, he loses an option.

Glossary | Minor League Options | MLB.com

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few nice changes

Hwang optioned, Ryder Jones recalled

Gonor DFA'd, Jarrett Parker activated.

I like both of these. Completely clears the way for Ryder. Also, I suspect Moncreif and Parker will see more PT coming up.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few nice changes

Hwang optioned, Ryder Jones recalled

Gonor DFA'd, Jarrett Parker activated.

I like both of these. Completely clears the way for Ryder. Also, I suspect Moncreif and Parker will see more PT coming up.
Updated.