• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Culpepper getting a one year deal according to sources

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Let's say the O-line is still shaky come the regular season (a possibility)
and Alex is the starter and in week 2 he gets sacked real hard and sprains his shoulder again. That has happened multiple times already including last season.

Do you really want to throw Kap in there right away with NO proven backup, or would you rather put in Culpepper at that point?

I'd rather put in Culpepper. I think Kap needs a year on the bench, he's not as polished of a QB coming out of college like a Peyton or a Bradford.

Too many QBs get thrown in there too soon. I think even Stafford was thrown in there too soon he's been out so many times with shoulder problems already.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
For those arguing for another rookie QB for the roster, there isn't much left out there so at this point I would pick up Pryor in the Supplemental draft.

The 4 QBs I would want in camp are Alex, Culpepper, Kap and Pryor.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Where's good ol Shaun Hill when you need him!

LOL!!...I was thinking about him just the other day. Shaun is a solid franchise back-up QB. He's livin' the dream playing behind an often hurt QB and throwin' alley oops to some no-name WR. Good for him!

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
LOL!!...I was thinking about him just the other day. Shaun is a solid franchise back-up QB. He's livin' the dream playing behind an often hurt QB and throwin' alley oops to some no-name WR. Good for him!

Shaun Hill is doing well for himself. Good for him.

The guy will never have the upside though to be the clear cut franchise QB.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Shaun Hill is doing well for himself. Good for him.

The guy will never have the upside though to be the clear cut franchise QB.

Franchise starter? No way. Franchise back-up? Absolutely!

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't care how many games we lose this year - I don't want to see Kaep starting until about week 14. That's in a situation where we're completely out of playoff hunt and the o-line isn't in complete disarray.

I'm not worried about him physically so much, but I do worry about crushing his confidence. If the o-line is inept keep him out so he isn't forced into picking up bad mechanics.

Bringing him in sparingly throughout the season is fine. But having him as a full time starter too early is a recipe for disaster. I am willing to throw this year away as he is a QB that needs much more time to develop. That's the primary reason why he fell to the second round in the first place.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those arguing for another rookie QB for the roster, there isn't much left out there so at this point I would pick up Pryor in the Supplemental draft.

The 4 QBs I would want in camp are Alex, Culpepper, Kap and Pryor.

nahhhhhhhh. Pryor would be a waste of roster space. I don't see his pro potential being very high. The reason we are bringing in culpepper, is because we want a vet back up, we have other rookies we could develop on the roster now, but we need a vet back there.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The extremely low probability scenario (<1% chance) is they are planning on "getting the band back together". Pep, Moss, McKinnie.....

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The extremely low probability scenario (<1% chance) is they are planning on "getting the band back together". Pep, Moss, McKinnie.....

Nice. I don't see it working out especially with McKinnie weighing 400 pounds.
We already got Braylon I don't see any room for Moss.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With McKinnie weighing 380 lbs, I wonder how long it would take him to get down to 340?

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Culpepper was pretty bad his last few years in the NFL, which was what? 2 years ago? Well, a lot of us knew the 49ers needed a vet QB. Although I'm sure nobody thought the 49ers would dig into the UFL for the guy.

I like the idea after this last preseason game. I don't want to see Kap get shell-shocked behind that offensive line. Bring him in now, and, if need be still bring in someone who gets cut from another team.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Culpepper was pretty bad his last few years in the NFL, which was what? 2 years ago? Well, a lot of us knew the 49ers needed a vet QB. Although I'm sure nobody thought the 49ers would dig into the UFL for the guy.

I like the idea after this last preseason game. I don't want to see Kap get shell-shocked behind that offensive line. Bring him in now, and, if need be still bring in someone who gets cut from another team.

That's exactly what this move is.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sorta figured, well, that is why I'm not bothered by the move. I don't expect anything from Culpepper, because he's been a total zero without Randy Moss and Cris Carter. I imagine it didn't help that his knee blew up, but, still... he's not throwing 65 some odd TDs in 2 years without Randy Moss.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are signing Culpepper to a one year deal to be third string.

Maiocco: How Culpepper would fit in with 49ers

All indications are the 49ers expect to sign Culpepper to a one-year contract, the source said. If the deal is completed, Culpepper could be on the practice field at 2:30 p.m. for the team's scheduled three-hour workout.

But the 49ers do not envision Culpepper as a competitor for the starting job. If the 49ers sign Culpepper, he would arrive as the third quarterback.

Read more: Maiocco: How Culpepper would fit in with 49ers
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

mrmetoo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
49ers Signing Culpepper to 1-year deal

Per Rotoworld:

A source tells CSN Bay Area that the 49ers plan to sign free agent Daunte Culpepper to a one-year contract.

The move obviously reeks of desperation, but at least the 49ers are acknowledging a problem. They're not going to go anywhere with Alex Smith at quarterback. Per CSN Bay Area's Matt Maiocco, however, the Niners would only view Culpepper as a third-stringer with experience who could play in a pinch if needed. The 34-year-old would not be added to compete for the starting job.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hey let's kick the tires on Moss too.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We are signing Culpepper to a one year deal to be third string.

Maiocco: How Culpepper would fit in with 49ers

All indications are the 49ers expect to sign Culpepper to a one-year contract, the source said. If the deal is completed, Culpepper could be on the practice field at 2:30 p.m. for the team's scheduled three-hour workout.

But the 49ers do not envision Culpepper as a competitor for the starting job. If the 49ers sign Culpepper, he would arrive as the third quarterback.

Read more: Maiocco: How Culpepper would fit in with 49ers
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

Well, if that's a done deal we'll just have to see how it goes. I'm concerned about the poor QB play so far but not overly so; its still early. I'm a little more concerned that Harbaugh made some sort of statement after the game like "I was surprised that we were this bad". I thought he was always an accentuate the positive type guy. I didn't like hearing that from him; it worries me that either he's already down on the team or worse, that he didn't realize how bad the team was from observing them in practice.