• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Culpepper getting a one year deal according to sources

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Culpepper getting a look-see from the 49ers
Posted by Mike Florio on August 14, 2011, 3:47 PM EDT
t1_culpepper_ap-01 AP

During a recent episode of PFT Live, I made the case for quarterback Daunte Culpepper to get a shot in the NFL, given the current crop of stiff and no-names littering depth charts throughout the league.

He’ll get his first crack at cracking a lineup in San Francisco.

Per a league source, Culpepper will visit with and work out for the 49ers. Recently, coach Jim Harbaugh suggested that he’d consider adding a veteran quarterback to compete with Alex Smith and rookie Colin Kaepernick.

That veteran could be Culpepper.

Regardless of whether he gets a contract there, look for Culpepper eventually to be considered once teams clear out the camp arms and undrafted projects and look for game-ready veterans.

Culpepper, the 11th overall pick in the 1999 draft, has played for the Vikings, Dolphins, Raiders, and Lions. Last year, he played for the Sacramento Mountain Lions of the UFL.

Culpepper getting a look-see from the 49ers | ProFootballTalk

Last edited by a moderator:

stilla9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Culpepper getting a look-see from the 49ers
Posted by Mike Florio on August 14, 2011, 3:47 PM EDT
t1_culpepper_ap-01 AP

During a recent episode of PFT Live, I made the case for quarterback Daunte Culpepper to get a shot in the NFL, given the current crop of stiff and no-names littering depth charts throughout the league.

He’ll get his first crack at cracking a lineup in San Francisco.

Per a league source, Culpepper will visit with and work out for the 49ers. Recently, coach Jim Harbaugh suggested that he’d consider adding a veteran quarterback to compete with Alex Smith and rookie Colin Kaepernick.

That veteran could be Culpepper.

Regardless of whether he gets a contract there, look for Culpepper eventually to be considered once teams clear out the camp arms and undrafted projects and look for game-ready veterans.

Culpepper, the 11th overall pick in the 1999 draft, has played for the Vikings, Dolphins, Raiders, and Lions. Last year, he played for the Sacramento Mountain Lions of the UFL.

Culpepper getting a look-see from the 49ers | ProFootballTalk

AHHHH CHIT! Someone please locate the panic button for me PLEASE!!!!

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free agent QB Daunte Culpepper will reportedly work out for the 49ers Monday.

Coach Jim Harbaugh spent the offseason hyping Alex Smith, ostensibly because he saw a lot of himself in the embattled former No. 1 overall pick. It took just a few series in the preseason opener for Harbaugh to realize he might be better off with veteran competition for Smith. Culpepper hasn't played at a high level in half a decade.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the crazy chance that we sign him, how would he be in the competition for starting? Does he have previous experience with this offense? Seems like it would take too long for him to catch up if not.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay....he's a better choice than Hasselbeck was? If you would have asked me to make a list of potential FA QB's we'd sign, he wouldn't have made the list. Hell, I would have put Favre higher than Pep. Wow.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff George is still alive as well......;)

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know the QB position had ? marks but theres no need to look at Culpepper.... really?

Let fix the OL first and see what Alex and Prime can do with time in the pocket... besides I really didn't think Prime did bad to begin with, he's a rookie. a 2nd rd rookie behind a shaky OL.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do see some value in Culpepper being able to mentor Kap. That might be worth it. Don't know if he has anything left in the tank.

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The veteran QB they will only be there to prevent Kaepernick from playing to early.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think I want Culpepper mentoring Prime.... Culpepper couldn't mentor Russell or Stafford... I don't think its in Culpepper to mentor...

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ehhhhhh I'd rather have a career back up who is still in the league and hoping for a shot. He hasn't done anything without Moss and Carter. It looked easy when all he had to do was throw long jump balls, but he wont be able to do that here.

Who is the best QB in the CFL? or arena? lets find our next Garcia, Warner, or Moon

I just looked at stats, lets sign Ricky Ray. I know absolutely nothing about him, but he is top 3 and younger than the two dinosaurs above him.

after looking him up, we had him in camp in 2000. Don't remember him at all.

clearly my logic on this is a proven winner, super bowl teams have always chosen random names from other leagues and built around them.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His 2010 highlights
[YOUTUBE]XnTf-4EU62o[/YOUTUBE]

fixed. just post this part h ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnTf-4EU62o of the URL into the code.

Last edited by a moderator:

yehyeh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Looks like he can still throw, other than that?

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
At this point of their career, Alex > Daunte. I don't see the point of signing him.

ZepTepi

Factorem fata mea
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ehhhhhh I'd rather have a career back up who is still in the league and hoping for a shot. He hasn't done anything without Moss and Carter. It looked easy when all he had to do was throw long jump balls, but he wont be able to do that here.

Who is the best QB in the CFL? or arena? lets find our next Garcia, Warner, or Moon

I just looked at stats, lets sign Ricky Ray. I know absolutely nothing about him, but he is top 3 and younger than the two dinosaurs above him.

after looking him up, we had him in camp in 2000. Don't remember him at all.

clearly my logic on this is a proven winner, super bowl teams have always chosen random names from other leagues and built around them.

Sad as it is to be saying this, I'd rather have Garcia back than to have Culpepper being seriously considered!

I feel like I should be hearing Rod Sterlings voice reporting the Culpepper news! Geez Louise!

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Culpeper still could come in the league today and have the strongest arm in the NFL. For the people saying that Asmith is better then him, sorry disagree 100%, give Dante a chance to go against Alex and I will put my $ on DC all day and twice on Sunday, Alex Smith is the def of garbage

Kings of The West

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This the the front office and coaches way of saying we have no confidence in our QB situation. Looks like the 9ers may be gearing up for the "Andrew Luck" sweepstakes.