• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cowboys' Future > Your Team's Future

CowboyB

#1 Ignored
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you were a Raider fan at that time as well.

I had that up in support of their move to Vegas. They will be my AFC team if they make the move but I was a Cowboys fan before the Rams moved to St. Louis.

CowboyB

#1 Ignored
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe so. Did you predict the Cowboys would win as many playoff games as the Cardinals this year?

Here you have it... I made this statement Jan 8th on wildcard weekend.

I like to think so but I won't be surprised if they lose due to lack of experience.

If somehow they play the Giants I don't see them losing to them for the 3rd time though.

Dak is playing for sure.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
....... Le'veon Bell?

Yes, for sure...But I think he is a unique one in todays NFL, much like David Johnson.......The RB that can be the dual threat can impact a game as much as a big time WR...The strictly Run guy im not so sure....With that said, I think Zeke can be more of a dual threat, and was surprised by how little he was used in the Dallas offense this season

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@flyerhawk @PhillyGreen @DirtDirtDirt

So now we have about 60 million freed up space in 3 years.

That is all well and good but they will have other needs when that time comes. In fact a lot may be spent before then. For the 2019 season the Cowboys will have only 17 of 53 players under contract. So they will have a lot more than just the $60 mil but between now and then a lot of players will be up for new contracts. The Cowboys know how to be creative and I am sure they will find a way but how much will it affect the talent around them. Offensively I think they will be fine. I think defensively is where they will suffer.

CowboyB

#1 Ignored
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is all well and good but they will have other needs when that time comes. In fact a lot may be spent before then. For the 2019 season the Cowboys will have only 17 of 53 players under contract. So they will have a lot more than just the $60 mil but between now and then a lot of players will be up for new contracts. The Cowboys know how to be creative and I am sure they will find a way but how much will it affect the talent around them. Offensively I think they will be fine. I think defensively is where they will suffer.

I agree here. It will constantly be a struggle to keep a good defense. Hopefully they will be able to draft smart and develop some impact players to help keep the salary cap balanced.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cutting Romo is $19.6 mil dead cap hit. Tony Romo

My assumption is that this upcoming season has his salary as fully guaranteed.
My point was you were incorrect about the difference from a cap perspective of cutting him and trading him and also that he has guaranteed money left. He does not. All guaranteed money has already been paid out.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree here. It will constantly be a struggle to keep a good defense. Hopefully they will be able to draft smart and develop some impact players to help keep the salary cap balanced.

I don't think any team since the start of the salary cap has had as much talent on the offensive side of the ball as the Cowboys do right now. It will cost a lot of money to keep. When you project to 2019 Dak, Zeke, Dez and Tyrone Smith (arguably the best LT in the NFL) are in the last years of their deals. So before they even get there they have to find away to keep their offensive line which is the best in the NFL intact.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, you are going out 3 seasons? Thank God they don't have most of the team locked up already going that far out. A lot can change between now and then. Key for Cowboys: keep drafting well

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point was you were incorrect about the difference from a cap perspective of cutting him and trading him and also that he has guaranteed money left. He does not. All guaranteed money has already been paid out.

Yeah...I did not take into account that the new team would be on the hook for the guaranteed salary. The Cowboys would only be hit for the prorated $5 mil of the signing bonus.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, you are going out 3 seasons? Thank God they don't have most of the team locked up already going that far out. A lot can change between now and then. Key for Cowboys: keep drafting well

That is what we were debating. That is the only reason I went that far. Projecting the future of the teams.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah...I did not take into account that the new team would be on the hook for the guaranteed salary. The Cowboys would only be hit for the prorated $5 mil of the signing bonus.
Still not sure we are on the same page. There is no guaranteed money left. There are unallocated cap $'s left but that can only hit the Cowboys, not the new team

CowboyB

#1 Ignored
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think any team since the start of the salary cap has had as much talent on the offensive side of the ball as the Cowboys do right now. It will cost a lot of money to keep. When you project to 2019 Dak, Zeke, Dez and Tyrone Smith (arguably the best LT in the NFL) are in the last years of their deals. So before they even get there they have to find away to keep their offensive line which is the best in the NFL intact.

I hear you. And Tyronne already had a pretty hit at nearly $16 million. That will be the same hit next year. But the thing you are missing is that his contract is structured to actually have a lower hit going forward after this coming year. So in 3 years it will go down to $11.8 million cap hit. His contract is locked in until 2023.

I guess you are predicting the entire team to holdout for a new contract??

CowboyB

#1 Ignored
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

@flyerhawk Gave this current Cowboys team a 3 year window to win because they won't be able to keep their offensive talent.....according to him....

Cowboys should be a very good team next year. If Prescott continues to develop then the Cowboys have a great window for the next 3 years.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is what we were debating. That is the only reason I went that far. Projecting the future of the teams.
But that is, I imagine, how most teams are. We haven't hit the 2017 FA period. So the only players under contract for 2019 were signed before 2016 with a 4 or more year contract, before the 2015 season with a 5 or more year contract, etc.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess you are predicting the entire team to holdout for a new contract??

No...I may have misread. I thought it was the last year of his deal so i will need to double check.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But that is, I imagine, how most teams are. We haven't hit the 2017 FA period. So the only players under contract for 2019 were signed before 2016 with a 4 or more year contract, before the 2015 season with a 5 or more year contract, etc.

I understand that. What makes the debate so enticing is because of the talent the Cowboys have right now with young players. On paper the Eagles future is not as bright as the Cowboys. Yes we are set at QB but the rest of the skill positions is seriously lacking.

CowboyB

#1 Ignored
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are getting all scientific with the structuring of contracts these days. I wasn't trying to write off the cap concerns I just think giving them a 3 year window because of it is pretty silly. Dak, Dez and Zeke barring serious injury will be in Dallas for 10 years together.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you talk about a window like that it is IMO only pertinent to teams that are basically one man shows like GB. When Rodgers goes so do their chances - but who knows they could find a new Rodgers by then. With the Cowboys there isn't one player that closes their window by leaving. they aren't anywhere near a one man show. Each player you lose hurts you, but each player you add helps you. On paper they are probably better set up for the long term right now than almost any team has been in the salary cap era (Seattle a couple of years ago too was set up well). But, in the NFL, that doesn't mean much. If they draft well they will be in the middle of things for a long time.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you talk about a window like that it is IMO only pertinent to teams that are basically one man shows like GB. When Rodgers goes so do their chances - but who knows they could find a new Rodgers by then. With the Cowboys there isn't one player that closes their window by leaving. they aren't anywhere near a one man show. Each player you lose hurts you, but each player you add helps you. On paper they are probably better set up for the long term right now than almost any team has been in the salary cap era (Seattle a couple of years ago too was set up well). But, in the NFL, that doesn't mean much. If they draft well they will be in the middle of things for a long time.

I have to admit the Cowboys finally got their draft shit together. For a while there Jerrah had me scratching my head. I still think he is too meddlesome (is that even a word...LOL). I think he need to let his coach pick his staff. I honesltly believe the reason the Cowboys are not still playing is because of the coaching staff.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to admit the Cowboys finally got their draft shit together. For a while there Jerrah had me scratching my head. I still think he is too meddlesome (is that even a word...LOL). I think he need to let his coach pick his staff. I honesltly believe the reason the Cowboys are not still playing is because of the coaching staff.
He is too meddlesome, but he takes a back seat for the draft and the running of the team now. He just speaks like he doesn't. The Manziel thing is used by many to say he still makes the picks, but that would only be true if they had drafted Manziel. He had a guy he loved and wanted, yet the team still chose a different player. IMO Garrett and McClay are the two that make the decisions on who to draft. Everyone else including Jerry has input, but those are the two making the calls.