• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cousins out for the season.

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is the Vikings backup?

*shrugs*

Probably still better than Jordan Love.
Currently Jordan Hall

If Nick Mullens can come off IR next week, I think he'll take over after one start by Hall

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of on topic/off topic....

What are NFL players doing, shoe company's doing, supplements/PED's players are taking, exercises/stretches players are doing, that we are seeing a rash of Achille's tears over the least decade or so of football?

I dont remember anyone tearing their Achilles in all my years of watching the sport up until around 2010. And after that it seems like we get a huge amount every year now. This is the 4th big one of the year that I know of (White-Buf, Rodgers-Jets, Dobbins-Balt, Cousins-Vikes) and I am sure there are probably a few more that I just never registered.

So what is in the NFL water that is causing this?
Gophers lost Mo Ibrahim to an achillies too on non contact injury

As soon as i saw Kirk replay, I was like shit, not because I have any medical background but because i've seen exact same thing with Mo few years back and of course Rodgers

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Currently Jordan Hall

If Nick Mullens can come off IR next week, I think he'll take over after one start by Hall

Jaren Hall.

Even Viking fans dont know the name of their new starting QB!!!

I'm sure there were a couple of New England fans called him Tim Brady after Bledsoe's injury.

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jaren Hall.

Even Viking fans dont know the name of their new starting QB!!!

I'm sure there were a couple of New England fans called him Tim Brady after Bledsoe's injury.
Fuck me, I keep saying Jordan

I knew that sounded off

Thanks for correcting my dumbass

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is the Vikings backup?

*shrugs*

Probably still better than Jordan Love.

How much better than Justin Fields is the real question. Sorry, can't let a Bears' fan say anything about good QB play.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that stinks. I like Cousins. Always have rooted for him… the Vikings were starting to play well, and I think a lot of it had to do with his leadership.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one

They are one of the teams that inexplicably don't have any QBs behind their starter.

About ten teams have tried to pull this shit and now we're watching a bunch of bums out there. It's shit football and there is no one accountable for this disgrace.

This was by design. The reason Nick Mullens is the best backup this team has had in 6 years is because the team wanted no threat to Cousins. Not even a little bit.

Sean Mannion kept his job for so many years (and he's still hanging around on the practice squad) because he was Kirk's buddy. Not because he could fill in for a game or two. He absolutely sucks.

This was fine, in theory because Kirk had never missed a start due to injury. He missed two due to meaningless games at he end of a season and one because he got COVID (And if you watched that game, you could see Mannion couldn't hack it). It was all about having one guy as the 100% unquestioned starter.

Now, we will see the consequences of that kind of shortsighted thinking.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you stay the course and make a push with your backup QB?

Do you try and get a veteran like Tannehill or Bridgewater (although I don't see Detroit trading with Minny)?

Also, is this the end of Cousins in Minnesota? Do you invest in a QB who will be 36 next season and coming off a major injury?

Unfortunately with 4 wins, even if you lose out (which I still think you can win 2-3 more games with your schedule, even if your backup plays poorly), you are likely to have a pick between the 5th-8th pick, at best. It gets even worse if you get to 6-7 wins. I think the top 3 QB's in the draft will be taken before Minnesota even gets a draft pick (outside of trading up).

It takes a lot of pressure off the Lions. I thought it would come down to the last 3 weeks of the season with both teams playing each other twice in 3 weeks. Perhaps a backup QB will spark something, but even though I'm bummed for Cousins getting injured, I'm glad the Lions won't be facing him now.

UnrealTerm04

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kirk Cousins is a cool guy, this sucks. I hope he recovers quickly. He should be ready to go at seasons start next year. The question is, where is he going to play? If I understood correctly, he is a FA after this season and the Vikings can't franchise tag him so he will be able to sign whereever he wants. Do he extend with the Vikings or does he sign somewhere else?

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kirk Cousins is a cool guy, this sucks. I hope he recovers quickly. He should be ready to go at seasons start next year. The question is, where is he going to play? If I understood correctly, he is a FA after this season and the Vikings can't franchise tag him so he will be able to sign whereever he wants. Do he extend with the Vikings or does he sign somewhere else?

I was under the impression he wanted to stay in Minnesota, but I imagine he isn't going to sign on the cheap side (he may give a home team discount, but I think he will still be in the top 10 paid QB's under a 3-4 year contract). If you are Minnesota, do you invest your next 2-3 years at around $50 million per year in him, or do you just begin a rebuild?

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was under the impression he wanted to stay in Minnesota, but I imagine he isn't going to sign on the cheap side (he may give a home team discount, but I think he will still be in the top 10 paid QB's under a 3-4 year contract). If you are Minnesota, do you invest your next 2-3 years at around $50 million per year in him, or do you just begin a rebuild?

Other than Jared Hall just absolutely showing out Tom Brady in for Bledsoe style or the Vikes losing out and somehow getting a top 2 pick in the draft, I can not imagine a likely scenario that has them not offering $50M a year for at least 2 or 3 years to Kirk this offseason.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than Jared Hall just absolutely showing out Tom Brady in for Bledsoe style or the Vikes losing out and somehow getting a top 2 pick in the draft, I can not imagine a likely scenario that has them not offering $50M a year for at least 2 or 3 years to Kirk this offseason.
He certainly has earned it, but if I were a Minnesota fan, I'd be worried about giving $50 million year to a 36 year old QB coming off a major injury. Unfortunately, Minnesota is almost certainly not going to be able to draft a top QB in the 2024 draft, so it doesn't leave them with a lot of options at that position.

With all the new QB's that will be drafted next draft, there is likely going to be several younger current NFL QB's looking for new jobs. I'd go after the best of them, give them shot in a new city. If he fails, you are likely drafting a top 1 or 2 QB in 2025. If he succeeds, you might have a future QB. I guess I don't see the point of risking so much money on Cousins at this point in his career coming off a major injury.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He certainly has earned it, but if I were a Minnesota fan, I'd be worried about giving $50 million year to a 36 year old QB coming off a major injury. Unfortunately, Minnesota is almost certainly not going to be able to draft a top QB in the 2024 draft, so it doesn't leave them with a lot of options at that position.

With all the new QB's that will be drafted next draft, there is likely going to be several younger current NFL QB's looking for new jobs. I'd go after the best of them, give them shot in a new city. If he fails, you are likely drafting a top 1 or 2 QB in 2025. If he succeeds, you might have a future QB. I guess I don't see the point of risking so much money on Cousins at this point in his career coming off a major injury.

Would you do that if you knew there was a good chance of losing your dream job of being a GM or head coach of an NFL franchise at the end of 2024 and that the early 2025 draft pick helps the next guy and not you?

....and that is why I cant imagine them doing anything other than re-signing Cousins.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you do that if you knew there was a good chance of losing your dream job of being a GM or head coach of an NFL franchise at the end of 2024 and that the early 2025 draft pick helps the next guy and not you?

....and that is why I cant imagine them doing anything other than re-signing Cousins.

I was speaking "as if I were a Minnesota fan".

What is the best thing and what is a job extending thing are often two separate things. The bottom line is that both scenarios are highly likely to end in a changeover, unless Cousins just comes back stronger than ever, at the age of 36, coming off a major injury. I guess one is more of a lottery ticket, while the other has a better chance of extending a GM's job.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is the biggest issue that GMs and coaches face in the current NFL environment. They just don't have the luxury of waiting to see what they can draft and especially in Minny's case, they have a roster with some superstars and a real chance to compete with some simple tweaking of the roster. They can't really play the "wait and see" game with the QB position.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was speaking "as if I were a Minnesota fan".

What is the best thing and what is a job extending thing are often two separate things. The bottom line is that both scenarios are highly likely to end in a changeover, unless Cousins just comes back stronger than ever, at the age of 36, coming off a major injury. I guess one is more of a lottery ticket, while the other has a better chance of extending a GM's job.

So, much like the entirety of Kirk's career, good enough to not get replaced, but never a true contender.