• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Could there be a better time to play Alabama

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DC,

In the end, the wins were all that mattered.

WVU did not face the quality of talent under Casteel that it faces today.

While Calvin Johnson was a man among boys… then… as he remains today, WVU regularly faces NFL talent at WR today.

It faces some of tomorrow's NFL QB's more regularly today than ever before.

My comments were meant to be an exaggeration, but the fact remains… despite the system/scheme in play… if the defense cannot put pressure on the QB, the opponent will have great success.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bama did not display much of a pass rush against OU in the Sugar Bowl. So, I don't know how much was expected of the DL who were suspended.

I don't think the 3-3-5 will pose much of a problem to a young/inexperienced QB. In the past, QB's usually had their best numbers of the year against WVU.

As we have seen, the defense is most effective is when it can get pressure on the QB. Give any QB 5-7 sec's to find an open receiver, and he will. The DB's cannot cover a guy forever.

And DC, I did not say QB's had career days against the 3-3-5, I said they usually had their best numbers of the year against WVU.

Jarrett Lee threw for 3 TD's against WVU, matched only by his performance against lowly Tennessee that year.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All good points but our level of player playing in the 3-3-5 is also improving....casteel called the 3-3-5 in his style and what we were playing in the BE. With different players(better players IMO) and Gibson making play calls we could see a different level of success against these passing teams.

And while we are playing great WRs in the Big 12 there are not many Megatrons on people's rosters lol

You and I have had this conversation before and I remember saying I would like to see the 3-3-5 with better talent...Zona showed a lot of improvement from year one to year two and I hope we can do the same...both playing in very good offensive confs.

I am just excited reading the players comments and you can see the excitement going into this season. It is a good change from years past.

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If WVU holds up against the run, and can run the ball themselves, you guys have a legit shot. Passing alone will not win this game for WVU. Running alone won't win it for Bama.

The only problem I see with WVU is the quality in depth. Can you guys last 4 quarters before giving out? Alabama is deeper on offense and defense this year than ever before. It's almost like the 2010 team. The only way to win against Alabama is to force them or trick them out of their gameplan, which is run the ball. We panicked against OU and it cost us. Stoops already knew we were going to pass so he would bring 6 drop 5 or 7/4. If we just hand off to Henry, there's no doubt in my mind we win that game. They had no answer for him.

FYI I seriously doubt Saban is going to "overlook" his hometown state. He's on a 2 game losing streak, he's gonna be ready to prove something on the field.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
theSabanator20; said:

FYI I seriously doubt Saban is going to "overlook" his hometown state. He's on a 2 game losing streak, he's gonna be ready to prove something on the field.

Guarantee Saban won't overlook anyone, especially WVU but can he relay how important it is NOT to overlook to 19-20 year old kids that have been good all of their lives and see a 4 win team that lost to Kansas late last season in their sights? Many times kids will be more focused on how many points they can put on the opponent or what their TD celebrations are going to be ect.. More than what the opponent does well and how they need to stop it then get hit In the nose during the game and struggle to adjust.

Saban, you, me and every other grown man knows that teams change from year to year for a variety of reasons but getting a young pup to understand that is not always the easiest thing to do,be it Saban or any other ball coach.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If WVU holds up against the run, and can run the ball themselves, you guys have a legit shot. Passing alone will not win this game for WVU. Running alone won't win it for Bama.

You could say the same thing about every game played this year.

The only problem I see with WVU is the quality in depth. Can you guys last 4 quarters before giving out? Alabama is deeper on offense and defense this year than ever before. It's almost like the 2010 team. The only way to win against Alabama is to force them or trick them out of their gameplan, which is run the ball. We panicked against OU and it cost us. Stoops already knew we were going to pass so he would bring 6 drop 5 or 7/4. If we just hand off to Henry, there's no doubt in my mind we win that game. They had no answer for him.

And now you have Lane Kiffin calling the plays:gaah: I dont think the 2010 team had to replace 7 starters on Defense. Alabama has a lot of stars if you go by recruiting rankings. We will see how they do on the field.

I'm sure the players are thinking about LSU and Auburn and a NC.

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn I can't wait until the 30th... There's gonna be some serious tailgating in Atlanta :suds: :yahoo:

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bama did not display much of a pass rush against OU in the Sugar Bowl. So, I don't know how much was expected of the DL who were suspended.

I don't think the 3-3-5 will pose much of a problem to a young/inexperienced QB. In the past, QB's usually had their best numbers of the year against WVU.

As we have seen, the defense is most effective is when it can get pressure on the QB. Give any QB 5-7 sec's to find an open receiver, and he will. The DB's cannot cover a guy forever.

They won't be looking to throw much...I would guess they will be looking to ram right down the Mounties throats...and as we have seen with this 3-3 before the defense is susceptible to wheel routes..

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way we ran it in the past I am not sure matters, different DC's are going to call games different....I think while back in the day it was more bend and don't break mentality going against running offenses this version is going to be more aggressive. I also think we have/or will have more overall talent in this defense than we have had in the past.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DC is correct. None of know how Gibby will run the stack. He was a DC at a small WV college, but I don't believe he ran the stack back then. He has to have been influenced by Casteel, but like every student… they may alter some things to satisfy their own feelings on how it could work differently.

Hopefully, all of the coaches are on the same page, and the kids will execute a high level.

But, I agree with Slaton… I expect Bama to run it down our throats. They have an advantage of size and numbers up front.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am telling you boys if that is their game plan and they think they can just do that at will this game is going to be close....they have the size and stars but I truly feel this team is getting that WVU heart and we will stop them. I think Coker is going to have to win this game for them.

It's that time of year when I drink my juice but this TEAM has a different feel to it.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am telling you boys if that is their game plan and they think they can just do that at will this game is going to be close....they have the size and stars but I truly feel this team is getting that WVU heart and we will stop them. I think Coker is going to have to win this game for them.

It's that time of year when I drink my juice but this TEAM has a different feel to it.

As I have said, the 3-3-5 is better defending the run than the pass. With this personnel they could really surprise Bama.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I have said, the 3-3-5 is better defending the run than the pass. With this personnel they could really surprise Bama.

We will see, we have a lot of speed on the defensive side of the ball. Cannot wait for the season to start.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4th DC in 4 yrs... I can't have too high expectation for the defense. They should be improved....

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I still have no idea why your OC decided to have a brain fart and stop giving the ball to Henry. OU's rush defense fucking sucks and Henry was running through it with ease. Keep giving the ball to Henry and Bama wins that game. Instead, an average OU team pulls out a fluke win and now the media is overrating the shit out of the Land Thieves in pre season polls :L

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still have no idea why your OC decided to have a brain fart and stop giving the ball to Henry. OU's rush defense fucking sucks and Henry was running through it with ease. Keep giving the ball to Henry and Bama wins that game. Instead, an average OU team pulls out a fluke win and now the media is overrating the shit out of the Land Thieves in pre season polls :L

I detect a hint of Jealousy:lol:

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4th DC in 4 yrs... I can't have too high expectation for the defense. They should be improved....

I hear ya buddy, but players have more exp and I am just getting a good vibe....hey if they are 3 and whatever you can wipe my face in all of this...lol

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear ya buddy, but players have more exp and I am just getting a good vibe....hey if they are 3 and whatever you can wipe my face in all of this...lol

I actually agree with BB here, many said how great it was when Casteel left to get rid of the stack, then Efore came along and made our defense a laughing stock, then came Patterson, we saw some improvement, but not enough to ever reliably get the other offense off the field, now we have come full circle with Gibson running the stack. The offense is what I want to see, Holgorsen was hired to spark the offense, yet it has got worse in each of his three seasons, if the defense is going to give up 30 points a game, it is no great deal if the offense can score 31!!!

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually agree with BB here, many said how great it was when Casteel left to get rid of the stack, then Efore came along and made our defense a laughing stock, then came Patterson, we saw some improvement, but not enough to ever reliably get the other offense off the field, now we have come full circle with Gibson running the stack. The offense is what I want to see, Holgorsen was hired to spark the offense, yet it has got worse in each of his three seasons, if the defense is going to give up 30 points a game, it is no great deal if the offense can score 31!!!

The offense improved from year 1 to year 2 under Dana.

I have been outspoken against the Stack. Not sure if Gibby is going to run a true stack, or just have a 5 man secondary.

What I find interesting in all the preseason coach speak is this... in 2012, defensive players commented on DeForest's defense stating how they could think less and play fast in it. Talking to my buddy here in the 'Cuse, he told me that Coach Dunlap had no idea what kind of defense DeForest was running. The kids didn't either. Unfair to judge last year's defense... too many freshmen and RS freshmen forced to play before they were ready. Dana said Patterson's defense was too complex.

Gibby has supposedly simplified the defense this year. I guess we'll see...