• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Could there be a better time to play Alabama

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm an Tide fan I would be worried right now. Look at what we are going against.

2 game losing streak

Transfer QB with no starting experience.

Just suspended 2 starting DLineman.

They have no experience against a 3 3-5 defense.

They will overlook us with last years 4-8 record.

If we play mistake free, I really like our chances.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bama did not display much of a pass rush against OU in the Sugar Bowl. So, I don't know how much was expected of the DL who were suspended.

I don't think the 3-3-5 will pose much of a problem to a young/inexperienced QB. In the past, QB's usually had their best numbers of the year against WVU.

As we have seen, the defense is most effective is when it can get pressure on the QB. Give any QB 5-7 sec's to find an open receiver, and he will. The DB's cannot cover a guy forever.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the 3-3-5 will pose much of a problem to a young/inexperienced QB. In the past, QB's usually had their best numbers of the year against WVU.

Key words in the past , don't expect to see the same method/or play calling that we saw in the past. Plus what QBs had career days against us and the 3-3-5? This is still a guy who has had 40 plus pass attempts with no TDs and a pick in mop up duty. Guy still has a lot to learn about being a starting QB and more pressure than most being a starting QB at Bama.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bama did not display much of a pass rush against OU in the Sugar Bowl. So, I don't know how much was expected of the DL who were suspended.

As we have seen, the defense is most effective is when it can get pressure on the QB. Give any QB 5-7 sec's to find an open receiver, and he will. The DB's cannot cover a guy forever.

yup, I always think of that Gator bowl vs Georgia Tech when their QB didn't make grades or was suspended or whatever and that kid they started at QB looked like he just stepped off of a high school team and had what was looking like a record setting first half against the 3-3-5 that was supposed to be difficult for players that don't see it often.

Sure he had the stud WR to throw to but good grief look at those stats...by the RB too!http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=270010277

Thank Gawd ol PDub showed us all how to leave guts on the field late in the 4th quarter. :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With a 3-3-5, bama will be able to control the line of scrimmage and ground n pound with yeldon and Henry. I am very nervous this is what will happen.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the question begs an answer, gun to your head as a WVU fan, you want Casteel or Bradley/Gibson (personally I think Bradley calls the shots and Gibby pads the resume with this title but..) running this or any other defense?

who ya taking?

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yup, I always think of that Gator bowl vs Georgia Tech when their QB didn't make grades or was suspended or whatever and that kid they started at QB looked like he just stepped off of a high school team and had what was looking like a record setting first half against the 3-3-5 that was supposed to be difficult for players that don't see it often.

Sure he had the stud WR to throw to but good grief look at those stats...by the RB too!Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets vs. West Virginia Mountaineers - Recap - January 01, 2007 - ESPN

Thank Gawd ol PDub showed us all how to leave guts on the field late in the 4th quarter. :yahoo:

Rusher go bac to that game and take a look at the tape, there was a guy named Charles Johnson making more plays than the QB, half those passés we could have thrown up there and he would have came down with it.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I drank the kool aid like I do every year, and my forecast is Bama is not just going to control the line on us and run at will.....am i saying we are going to roll them "no" but I am giving our kids who seem to have worked their a$$ off this offseason and seem to be carrying themselves with a little bit of pride so far...I hope Bama thinks that is all they need to do to beat us cause I think we are going to hit them as hard as any other team they play and this is not going to be a cake walk at all. They are coming into this game with unproven talent at QB and i do not care what team you are if QB 1 does not have his sh$t together anything can happen. Rub my face in it if I am wrong when it is a said and done, but I think these last two tough seasons have built some character and I think that WV pride is going to be showing against the tide... LETS GO!!!!!!

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I give us a better shot than we would have playing them later in the year when a teams depth is a major factor, maybe even a "decent" shot, no question. Their question marks are legit and getting them game 1 is about as good a scenario as this years team could ask for.

Sr QB, RB, WR's, a bunch of returning talent on defense and two good/very good punter and PK vs Bama losing field generals at QB/LB/DB/LT and if memory serves C. They have more talent on the roster but you can only play 11 at a time.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I give us a better shot than we would have playing them later in the year when a teams depth is a major factor, maybe even a "decent" shot, no question. Their question marks are legit and getting them game 1 is about as good a scenario as this years team could ask for.

Sr QB, RB, WR's, a bunch of returning talent on defense and two good/very good punter and PK vs Bama losing field generals at QB/LB/DB/LT and if memory serves C. They have more talent on the roster but you can only play 11 at a time.

They have more perceived talent on the roster due to star ratings....I know it was a slight jab by Spurrier, but like he said he is a guy getting the top ranked class year in and year out...why is he not winning the title outright year in and year out. Those star rankings help get this team ranked high and in some of these bowls.....take the time if your bed ridden like me sometime and breakdown their schedule from last year. Don't even look at team names just records...IT IS WEAK.

Not just with Alabama but that is the problem with college football teams worth are just based on perceptions, just like with the rankings that came out last week and Bama being ahead of Sooners(I am not a fan of preseason pols anyway) but here are two teams that finished against each other with the Sooners coming away with a pretty easy win. Bama loses their everything QB and a bunch of defensive talent to the NFL, Sooners return a cast of characters on the team that beat them and some how the are ranked behind them. Its lie these teams in the SEC can do no wrong in the eyes of the voters and their loses count more than some teams wins. Oh well at least there is now a playoff, hope it expands.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Key words in the past , don't expect to see the same method/or play calling that we saw in the past. Plus what QBs had career days against us and the 3-3-5? This is still a guy who has had 40 plus pass attempts with no TDs and a pick in mop up duty. Guy still has a lot to learn about being a starting QB and more pressure than most being a starting QB at Bama.

Bennett - GT
Nassib - SU
Lee - LSU
Todd - AU
Endres - UConn
Pinkey - ECU
Hollenbach - UofMd
Brohm - UofL
Palko - Pitt
McBrien - UofMd

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bama has replaced NC winning QB's with young/inexperienced QB's in recent times, and not missed a beat. Bama has replaced OC's, and not missed a beat.

Bama has been one of the most proficient offenses in the country in recent times.

It is what it is…

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Punch Bama in the mouth from the start and Saban gets nervous. Bama rarely ever gets punched in the mouth in the SEC or rarely loses. It takes Big 12 teams or former Big 12 teams to do that recently. There is a reason Saban is not in favor of the no huddle offense. WVU can win this game.....

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will win this game, Bama has struggled against the spread offense.

We are going to have a good year. We will win more games this year then we have won since joining the Big12. I predict 8 wins.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bama has replaced NC winning QB's with young/inexperienced QB's in recent times, and not missed a beat. Bama has replaced OC's, and not missed a beat.

Bama has been one of the most proficient offenses in the country in recent times.

It is what it is…

The QB situation is a lil different this time because The others had some time in the program and even saw some mop up duty but I get your point and agree, their QB doesn't have to be a world beater but he does have to be efficient and competent in his abilities.
I think by seasons end this Bama team will be all that they are being hyped to be but.. Not sure I buy that in week 1.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bennett - GT
Nassib - SU
Lee - LSU
Todd - AU
Endres - UConn
Pinkey - ECU
Hollenbach - UofMd
Brohm - UofL
Palko - Pitt
McBrien - UofMd

Career days? Plus over the time period this list is not very long :)

Now if you want to make a list of TE's who had career days

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Career days? Plus over the time period this list is not very long :)

Now if you want to make a list of TE's who had career days

I could provide more…

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The QB situation is a lil different this time because The others had some time in the program and even saw some mop up duty but I get your point and agree, their QB doesn't have to be a world beater but he does have to be efficient and competent in his abilities.
I think by seasons end this Bama team will be all that they are being hyped to be but.. Not sure I buy that in week 1.

The recipe for WVU will have to be similar to the OU game last year. Similar to many of the games played while Casteel was running the defense. Give up tons of yards until they get into the Red Zone… then stop them from scoring TD's.

Bama will be stronger and bigger up front than any other opponent of the year. How will our guys like getting hit in the mouth? Since Dana arrived, they've not responded to this very well.

Hopefully Scrap will install a toughness factor to our undersized DL, and they'll take the punches better than recent years.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could provide more…

I could provide more…

Depends on how loosely you are going to use career day:

Here are three that didnt:

DJ Shockley Georgia 277 yards 3 TDs
Sam Bradford Oklahoma 245 yards 1TD 2int
Taj Boyd. 250 yards 2tds 2 ints

But I guess compared to some of the others on your list these were HOF days

I mean when you start counting Taylor Bennett withn326 yards 3 TDs and a int as a career day when almost 200 of those yards were to what could be the best WR in the history of the game I think your qualifications are skewed.....plus who remembers career days in losing efforts.

Jarrette Lee didn't even throw for 200 yards

Todd 16/34 280 yards

I know some of those guys on your list had great days against us, butbwhatnwas are record when we ran the 3-3-5? Who cares about career days as long as we come away with the win and that is what we did most of the time.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RR brought the 3-3-5 in here because we could not stop the run. Our DLs were undersized and the scheme had those guys just trying to hold a position and a guy so the LBs and safetys could make the play. This should work well in the face of the Bama line and run game. The biggest weakness I saw in the D was crossing routes (many by the TE).

Given the perceived superior athletes at Bama, this defense may give us our best chance at winning. If we stop the run, Coker will have to dink and dunk it and use crossing routes to beat us.