• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Could be the beginning of the end

herky

YEAH JEETS!!!!!!111
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for my PS3. It's a refurb that is 4 years old. It's overheated 3x in the last 2 days.

:pout:

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mine, after being near the original launch (not the first model but pretty close) finally stopped reading disks a couple months ago. It was a tragedy and I'm still contemplating trying to replace the bluray laser and the motor on the disk drive to see if I can salvage it.

UTVolCountry

(>',')> Laser_Mike_89
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You never know what you got until it's gone... I'll hold mine a little closer tonight after reading this. All I can say is, just try to be there for it and comfort it in its final hours. :(

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this may sound weird, but have you tried cleaning out the dust? I had a friend that had a 360 (I know, not the same) and he was getting the red ring of death. He ended up taking it apart (just the case) and there was a shit load of dust in it. Cleaned it out and put it back together and it worked like new.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bought my PS3 the day they were launched. Still use the same dinosaur. works like a camp.

knock on wood

herky

YEAH JEETS!!!!!!111
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this may sound weird, but have you tried cleaning out the dust? I had a friend that had a 360 (I know, not the same) and he was getting the red ring of death. He ended up taking it apart (just the case) and there was a shit load of dust in it. Cleaned it out and put it back together and it worked like new.

It's on my list.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for my PS3. It's a refurb that is 4 years old. It's overheated 3x in the last 2 days.

:pout:

I'm praying mine holds out. I've never once put it in the entertainment center, always on top which annoys my wife but don't want it over heating. Last night it was making a funny whining noise every few minutes.

Just gotta hold out a few more months for the PS4.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mine, after being near the original launch (not the first model but pretty close) finally stopped reading disks a couple months ago. It was a tragedy and I'm still contemplating trying to replace the bluray laser and the motor on the disk drive to see if I can salvage it.

Do it, what is there to lose? My buddy tried to replace part of his. Said it was cool inside, but that the gel of some sorts that conducts heat between the CPU and the heatsync had dried up and was useless, probably what caused his issues.

If all else fails, he sold his broken one for like $50 on ebay. Guys will fix em up and resell em.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thought my 360 was dead a few months ago. Got the red lights and, if I remember correctly, a E66 error code on the screen and that was all it would do. But, after cranking up the ol google machine, I found out it was a hard drive communication problem, not necessarily a system problem. All I had to do was take off the HD, turn on the 360, let it boot up and all, turn in back off, put the HD back on and turn in on again. POW! Fixed it right up. I guess that's my cool story, bro.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do it, what is there to lose? My buddy tried to replace part of his. Said it was cool inside, but that the gel of some sorts that conducts heat between the CPU and the heatsync had dried up and was useless, probably what caused his issues.

If all else fails, he sold his broken one for like $50 on ebay. Guys will fix em up and resell em.

I'm not sure if I want to sink the money in when I don't know if it will fix it. That's really my only concern. I'm kind of broke lol

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure if I want to sink the money in when I don't know if it will fix it. That's really my only concern. I'm kind of broke lol

You can crack it open for free. If it is broken, then can't do more harm. But you might find something :noidea:

If nothing else, it's a learning experience to be in there. I love to tinker on crap like that, that I have no idea how to fix :)

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I already have the issue narrowed down to being most likely the actual bluray laser or the motor that turns the disk. It's just a matter of whether I buy the parts and fix it. Taking it apart and all that isn't an issue. It's paying for the parts that there is some chance (not a huge one) won't resolve the issue.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can crack it open for free. If it is broken, then can't do more harm. But you might find something :noidea:

If nothing else, it's a learning experience to be in there. I love to tinker on crap like that, that I have no idea how to fix :)

Did that with my 42 in plasma that shit the bed a while back. Cracked that bitch open, found a big ass swelled capacitor, replaced it and it's been working like a champ ever since. Of course I didn't try to fix it until after I bought a new one. :doh:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did that with my 42 in plasma that shit the bed a while back. Cracked that bitch open, found a big ass swelled capacitor, replaced it and it's been working like a champ ever since. Of course I didn't try to fix it until after I bought a new one. :doh:

Well played, got the new one then fixed the old one. I did the same last year. The HDMI input went out on my 42", it was 18 months old but bought on credit card that doubled my warranty. Estimate to fix was as much as a new one so the CC just cut me a check for the amount paid on the TV. Put the TV downstairs for the kiddo that only wants to watch cartoons via netflix on the Wii (no HDMI input) and bought a new one. Found the video board for $70 if I ever want to swap it out to add HDMI back.

I know :csb:

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well played, got the new one then fixed the old one. I did the same last year. The HDMI input went out on my 42", it was 18 months old but bought on credit card that doubled my warranty. Estimate to fix was as much as a new one so the CC just cut me a check for the amount paid on the TV. Put the TV downstairs for the kiddo that only wants to watch cartoons via netflix on the Wii (no HDMI input) and bought a new one. Found the video board for $70 if I ever want to swap it out to add HDMI back.

I know :csb:

It worked out well for us too, put the new one in the living room, the one I fixed in our bedroom, the one from our bedroom in my sons room and his little plasma in the exercise/tanning room. Played musical upgrades I guess.