• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cornerbacks Drafted by Belichick

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no cornerback drafted by Belichick has earned a second contract;
Patriots 2015 NFL Draft prospects: Cornerbacks Doran Grant, Byron Jones, Kevin White could be middle round options | masslive.com

Ryan gets a chance to prove he is a starter. Dennard is playing his contract year - will he snap back?
Malcolm Butler deserves a chance to play, Arrington has a $4.6 million cap hit next year. He's been a good slot corner but our opposition is finding ways to draw him into coverage outside, where he is a liability. I would like the Pats to trade for a good vet CB but if we trade up in the draft, do you trust BB to pick the right guy? There are lots of corners to go in the 1st & 2nd rounds but no "locks"

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Semantics...

McCourty was drafted by Bill and earned his second contract this off season.
As a safety, I know.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems that all the 1st round CB's are too small or projects. There are some good safety's but that is a different subject. Do you think the struggles of small CB's is just coincidence? Do you think we'd be better off drafting a project and "coaching him up?" If you really think one of the 1st round (potential) CB's are going to fall to us, would you pick one or let him continue to fall? Who would you pick?

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there is a good offensive lineman to be had at 32 I hope they go that way.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
O-line! Protect Brady! That alone can win enough games. Besides I can't stand anymore failure at picking/grooming CBs. Plu I have already mentally prepared myself for the agony of watching another year of CBs getting burned. Bend don't break. Man I hope Butler is the answer?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Don't draft 5'10" CBs. Giving away 5"-6" to WRs is too much. I don't care for 6 footers unless they have a vertical leap of at least 30". A couple of guys who are 6'2" will be available in the 3rd Round. Lalen Collins from LSU. He's smooth and has long arms. A potential starter in the right defense. Ladarius Gunter from Miami. This guy has speed and a long stride. Was a starter for 2013 and 2014 and opposing teams rarely threw at him. Another potential starter in the NFL. I'd take either of these guys in the 2nd Round and would trade up to get one or both.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Don't draft 5'10" CBs. Giving away 5"-6" to WRs is too much. I don't care for 6 footers unless they have a vertical leap of at least 30". A couple of guys who are 6'2" will be available in the 3rd Round. Lalen Collins from LSU. He's smooth and has long arms. A potential starter in the right defense. Ladarius Gunter from Miami. This guy has speed and a long stride. Was a starter for 2013 and 2014 and opposing teams rarely threw at him. Another potential starter in the NFL. I'd take either of these guys in the 2nd Round and would trade up to get one or both.

:agree:

stay the fuck away from short CB's.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could have 4 6'5" CB,with the absolute suckfest of a pass rush the pats have,every reciever will be open anyway

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait, isn't Haden under 6' ?

This notion that under 6" CB's are garbage is BS. It's rare to find CB's 6'1 and up. Revis is 5' 10. His technique is just superb. Joe Haden is 5'11. Face it........BB just sucks at drafting CB's. Samuel was an aberration.

Hopefully Butler continues to play great.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying smallish CB's are garbage. In todays game the great CB's at 5'10" are the exception, not the rule.
Revis at 5"11" helped us be 25th in the league in passing. I'm not looking for more 6'5" CB's either. Give me 6' or 6'1" with good athletic ability and can play the position. If you are 5'10" and 172 pounds I don't care what your 40 was. You will get eaten by the wideouts.....

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sold on the height thing. Playing CB is about fundamentals, smarts, speed,instincts and being in the right spot. I don't care if you are 5'6" or 6'5" if he is covered, they will not throw to him. You can be 6'2" and can't cover for shit.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sold on the height thing. Playing CB is about fundamentals, smarts, speed,instincts and being in the right spot. I don't care if you are 5'6" or 6'5" if he is covered, they will not throw to him. You can be 6'2" and can't cover for shit.
5'10"Arrington got eaten alive in the SB against a receiver he had covered. The receiver caught his first pass in his career against Arrington. They kept going back to him until we put Browner on him.
Across the league you are now seeing balls being thrown to tall receivers that are covered and letting the receiver go up and take it.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What do you think about Jalen Collins (2nd round?)
Shutdown Draft 365 - Draft preview: LSU CB Jalen Collins

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5'10"Arrington got eaten alive in the SB against a receiver he had covered. The receiver caught his first pass in his career against Arrington. They kept going back to him until we put Browner on him.
Across the league you are now seeing balls being thrown to tall receivers that are covered and letting the receiver go up and take it.

This is a tactic that is fairly new and I won't use it to judge BB's picks.

Let's face it, Bill's philosophy of bend, but don't break does not put a premium on wild eyed pass rushers or great pressure on the QB in general. It is all about containment and discipline while waiting for the inevitable mistake by the opposing offense.

Does this lead to having his DB's getting hung out to dry on occasion? Yes it does. Does it lead to 6 SB appearances since 2001? You answer me.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a tactic that is fairly new and I won't use it to judge BB's picks.

Let's face it, Bill's philosophy of bend, but don't break does not put a premium on wild eyed pass rushers or great pressure on the QB in general. It is all about containment and discipline while waiting for the inevitable mistake by the opposing offense.

Does this lead to having his DB's getting hung out to dry on occasion? Yes it does. Does it lead to 6 SB appearances since 2001? You answer me.
Once you make your picks, you become dated. An example, Browner was signed before the rule change made his game less effective. Arrington is still a very good slot DB. The bend - don't brake is not so much a philosophy as a concession. BB adapts to the changes and personnel available very well. My OP was not so much about BB not being able to draft but more pointing out that we rarely keep DB's. I could have stated it better. If Arrington's game will not adapt to the offenses drawing him out to where he cannot cover, he will be a cap casualty next year.
That has nothing to do with BB's choice of him as a pick.....

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eric Rowe at CB - S ????? Close to the athletic ability of Byron Jones but has better football skills.
Can Josh Shaw - CB be had as one of our 3rd round picks?

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Collins drops to 64 I take a flyer but not moving up to get him. I'm still reserving #32 for the best O-lineman or some outstanding player that somehow dropped that low (barring no baggage). I would also like Rowe or Shaw in the 3rd if they are there. That Revis comp is like a freebie so taking a chance isn't as great.