• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cornell Brown to join Virginia Tech coaching staff

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
....and now it appears to be official:

Source: Cornell Brown to join Virginia Tech football staff | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Cav is not retiring which means he heads to where Hite is or there will be a shift in the staff, likely what I indicated in the other thread:

Cav to WR coach (he coached that at UNC)
Sherman to QB coach
O'Cain back upstairs with Hite
Brown to Whip/Rover coach

Foster, Stiney, Gray and Wiles are untouchable

Newsome appears untouchable.

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm loving the new blood on the coaching staff. Cornell is one of my all-time favorite Hokies. I can only imagine the fire he'll bring to the staff, both in recruiting and in coaching them up. Plus, he's just an all-around great guy.
Now, if I could just do something about Newsome.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
awesome! poop, i agree totally...if nothing else, its showing us that Beamer is not going settle for mediocre recruiting and ACC championships anymore.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
....and now it appears to be official:

Source: Cornell Brown to join Virginia Tech football staff | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Cav is not retiring which means he heads to where Hite is or there will be a shift in the staff, likely what I indicated in the other thread:

Cav to WR coach (he coached that at UNC)
Sherman to QB coach
O'Cain back upstairs with Hite
Brown to Whip/Rover coach

Foster, Stiney, Gray and Wiles are untouchable

Newsome appears untouchable.
You guys called it...
Great News. Now if we can just get Fridge on..we will be UNSTOPPABLE!!!:eek:

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LOL!!!

baa1c6b9-ae54-432b-b5f0-a691c6e501c6.Large.gif

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is official official now, not super secret official. Check hokiesports.

Cornell Brown to whip/rover coach. Cav to director of recruiting and high school relations. The latter is a position that used to exist at South Carolina but never existed at Virginia Tech. Interesting....

Last edited by a moderator:

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
WOW!!! i went to bed last night fully expecting to wake up and hear that Cornell Brown was interviewing @ cheater hole today. Im so damn happy im pretty much speechless. I would love to hear how this whole thing went down, I imagine beamer in a adirondack chair sipping a mai tai on the celly telling jim weaver about how we need to get this thing done before butch gets him. Or maybe the putting green with a nice scotch and blue tooth but you get the picture.

Imo VT just got a shot in the arm. If the Cav thing plays out we basically lose nothing as far as coaching, gain huge ground in recruiting, + all the knowledge that these guys have picked up from other places.

Not to bring up the negative but you guys know i hate newsome so i wonder what Cornell's brother is doing these days? Also on the negative wouldnt you know that on of the most exciting weeks in Vt football history would coincide with the busiest work week i've had in ages. Not only busy but our internet has been down so No email, No MB's, No nothing. When i started getting text today I was really thinking about dropping the $ for a smart phone just so i could figure out/ follow whats been going on.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hunz,

Those image are priceless. I can also see cav and hite sitting along side of him in the adirondack chairs calling their wives and saying "hey baby, big daddy coming on home now, better get me that prescription we been talking about".

The staff, ditction and future of hokie football has been decided. We are not going to be a one coach flash in the pan. Buckle up Miami and Florida State. We are here to stay for a while and until otherwise proven, this conference and the Orange Bowl is ours.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
People are saying that TG will now coach rovers also, and brown will coach whips and help with the DL. FWIW lots of folks are saying that we will now convert to a more traditional 4-3 with brown coaching the olb's? I really like our "whip" position but i could see why they would want to go with more of a base 4-3.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think we'll see a change to a traditional 4-3 because of how good our secondary has been. What's been killing us the last few years is our front 7, so I expect we want to get bigger. The whip was created to counter the spread offense, but they have not been our problem in scheming. It's the bigger, pro style offenses that use and abuse us.

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't take credit for this, but I thought it was hilarious. A poster today on TSL said Cornell "Beamered" UNC. LMFAO. Suck it Holes.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I think we'll see a change to a traditional 4-3 because of how good our secondary has been. What's been killing us the last few years is our front 7, so I expect we want to get bigger. The whip was created to counter the spread offense, but they have not been our problem in scheming. It's the bigger, pro style offenses that use and abuse us.

agree,+ i think you have an easier time finding guys to play in a typical 4-3, a lot of guys are running it in HS and Most big time LB's are looking for a transition into the nfl so they want to play in a defense they see on sundays.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree,+ i think you have an easier time finding guys to play in a typical 4-3, a lot of guys are running it in HS and Most big time LB's are looking for a transition into the nfl so they want to play in a defense they see on sundays.

Both of you make great points. I think if they do go to a traditional 4-3 that would be a really good move. With the CB's we have had and continue to recruit, there is no reason we need the extra "hybrid" guy. If we continue to recruit 4 star shut-down corners, n o worries. We need more of a run-stopper at that position. I am personally a big fan of the 3-4 but unless you can get the kindof athletes that say, UF, 'Bama, USC, Texas, etc. get, then forget about it. I am looking forward to Groh's and PJ's asses getting owned in the next few years, mainly because of the defense that Groh just can't help running, even though he doesn't quite have the athletes to do it.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of you make great points. A traditional 4-3 will certainly help attract bigger and fater linebackers to our team. Guys like Bruce Taylor, Chase Williams and Brian Laiti blowing up would help that as well. They have NFL size and length, and success at the next level should allow us to recruit some blue chippers at that spot.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Both of you make great points. I think if they do go to a traditional 4-3 that would be a really good move. With the CB's we have had and continue to recruit, there is no reason we need the extra "hybrid" guy. If we continue to recruit 4 star shut-down corners, n o worries. We need more of a run-stopper at that position. I am personally a big fan of the 3-4 but unless you can get the kindof athletes that say, UF, 'Bama, USC, Texas, etc. get, then forget about it. I am looking forward to Groh's and PJ's asses getting owned in the next few years, mainly because of the defense that Groh just can't help running, even though he doesn't quite have the athletes to do it.

I don't see us ever, or at least anytime soon, switching to a 3-4. We just don't have big enough ends to do so. Our ends are usually undersized and would get eaten alive if they were in a 3-4. You really need guys who are 280 with speed to use that. There are very few guys like that in college football and they certainly not coming to VT. But a traditional 4-3 can help us get much bigger. I think we got lucky with alot of our WHIP players and this year was a down year at the position so its surprising change is happening so quickly, but they see kids being told our system doesn't help them into the league.

The change in philosophy is a good sign that Beamer is doing all he can to win that MNC.

hokiehighsuperfly

I Go By Many Names
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Thanks for the heads up vtpoop.

This is great news, I do wonder what will happen for Suggs.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see us ever, or at least anytime soon, switching to a 3-4. We just don't have big enough ends to do so. Our ends are usually undersized and would get eaten alive if they were in a 3-4. You really need guys who are 280 with speed to use that. There are very few guys like that in college football and they certainly not coming to VT. But a traditional 4-3 can help us get much bigger. I think we got lucky with alot of our WHIP players and this year was a down year at the position so its surprising change is happening so quickly, but they see kids being told our system doesn't help them into the league.

The change in philosophy is a good sign that Beamer is doing all he can to win that MNC.

(just an aside, but with his speed and athleticism at tackle, I think that John Graves is going to be a steal and a great 3-4 defensive end at the next level)