• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

VT football 5-7 years from now?

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
All these coaching changes got me to thinking about the future @ VT, i thought it be interesting to see where you guys see things.

Keep in mind i know that coaches come and go all the time but i hope we can keep this core of young guys together for a while. (shane, cornell, torrian)

I figure that Beamer opts for retirement or takes an administrative role in the next 5-7 years, hopefully after winning multiple ACC championships in a row and at least one NC.

It sounds to me like Shane is already being groomed to be our next head coach. Honestly I think that is the reason why Frank waited so long to bring him back to VT, he wanted shane to get as much experience elsewhere before coming "home" for his final tutelage. Im not sure how many of you guys have seen the article but when naming Shane Associate HC Frank said that if something happened to him he had to leave the program in hands that he had full trust in and someone who he knows he can communicate with etc etc.

I honestly look for Foster to finally get a chance somewhere in this same time frame. Although he may have to go the non-bcs route he will eventually get a shot somewhere. <---- I know foster has said several times that it would have to be the perfect situation, but after him saying that he would be interested in hearing what memphis had to say a few years ago, I question what that perfect situation is. I also feel like if Foster is to leave to HC somewhere he will take Wiles with him as a DC (unless wiles $ wouldnt compare to what he makes at VT as DL coach)

I also figure that Hite and Cav will be fully retired by then and may be replaced by some of the older members of our current staff (Ocain and maybe newsome) I expect that at some point Kevin Sherman may play a larger role in our offense, maybe something like the position that Ocain is in now (playcaller etc).

Basically i see Shane Beamer as the HC and special teams coach of the future, with Torrian Gray as DC, and Cornell as our defensive line coach. Im not sure who i see replacing Beamer as RB coach, but it sure would be cool to have Kevin Jones (if he pans out) in that postition. I dont want to get too carried away with the former players coaching here, but it seems like a lot of our former players are putting themselves into great positions to get back here and really like the idea of coming back to be part of the program.

Last edited by a moderator:

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
FWIW: i could see ^ Ocain in basically the same position that Hite is now, with all his coaching experience he'd be a great advisor to Shane. I could also see Newsome in the position that Cav has now. I've been critical of Newsomes coaching but he has some heavy ties to a lot of VA highschools, and would prob fill that roll better than any outside hire that VT could make.

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyle Tucker's latest blog is interesting...from Frank's presser today

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Kyle Tucker's latest blog is interesting...from Frank's presser today

Kyle Tucker | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

yeah that was a pretty good read.

2 questions maybe some of you can answer:

1) does stiney have the power to veto plays on the sideline and call his own?

2) How does our offensive line recruiting work now? It seems to me like these are two totally different coaching philosophy;s that are supposed to work as a single unit. <-- stiney prefering the "road grader" type OL and Newsome liking the "athletic" guys, are we going to see 300# tackles playing outside of 260# guards? Does one guys opinion outweigh the other?

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From reading KT's article in regards to your questions I came up with the following:

1) I dont think so. It appears Stiney will be making up the various options for plays and Mike will be selecting what works based upon his experience in knowing what makes his QB's feel comfortable. However I do think that Stinenut can weigh in on what he thinks but it doesn't appear that he can override Mike. Hopefully this can be turned into a plus where both men can talk about what works and work together to figure out what works best for a given situation (with Mike having the final say).

2) Agree, I am not sure how in the hell this well work. You have two guys with two different mindsets coaching the line. However, IF you notice in all of this Beamer doesn't speak about Newsome except when it came to him having 5 duties. Maybe this is intentional? I would think just by seniority and being the "OC" he could override Newsome. Thoughts?

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like a lot of the questions that Beamer answered in his press conference we the same questions we've been tossing around here...

alright, which one of you is the beat writer for VT? Randy King, are you in here??

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
From reading KT's article in regards to your questions I came up with the following:

1) I dont think so. It appears Stiney will be making up the various options for plays and Mike will be selecting what works based upon his experience in knowing what makes his QB's feel comfortable. However I do think that Stinenut can weigh in on what he thinks but it doesn't appear that he can override Mike. Hopefully this can be turned into a plus where both men can talk about what works and work together to figure out what works best for a given situation (with Mike having the final say).

2) Agree, I am not sure how in the hell this well work. You have two guys with two different mindsets coaching the line. However, IF you notice in all of this Beamer doesn't speak about Newsome except when it came to him having 5 duties. Maybe this is intentional? I would think just by seniority and being the "OC" he could override Newsome. Thoughts?

2) Like i told 46 in another thread, i hope this is Beamers way of slowly showing Newsome the Door. Maybe after next season Stiney will be moved back to full time OL coach, Ocain back to Qb coach, and we will have a new OC sitting up in the box.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Another pretty decent KT. Ocain talks about the changes.

Kyle Tucker | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Btw i think Beamer has schooled all the assistants (except maybe bud) at answering questions without really saying anything. <------ a lot of people have made fun of beamer for that but its really an art.:)

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
from the sound of things we better enjoy these KT's while we can. I've been hearing since the whole cornell thing that beamer & Co. werent too happy with him. A very in touch poster on another site basically confirmed it last night, Not saying he will be cut off completely but he may have burned a few too many bridges to get the inside stuff anymore. <--- or at least for a little while.