• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech football 5-7 years from now.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
(i posted this here before but wanted to here some of the newer members opinion)

All these coaching changes got me to thinking about the future @ VT, i thought it be interesting to see where you guys see things.

Keep in mind i know that coaches come and go all the time but i hope we can keep this core of young guys together for a while. (shane, cornell, torrian)

I figure that Beamer opts for retirement or takes an administrative role in the next 5-7 years, hopefully after winning multiple ACC championships in a row and at least one NC.

It sounds to me like Shane is already being groomed to be our next head coach. Honestly I think that is the reason why Frank waited so long to bring him back to VT, he wanted shane to get as much experience elsewhere before coming "home" for his final tutelage. Im not sure how many of you guys have seen the article but when naming Shane Associate HC Frank said that if something happened to him he had to leave the program in hands that he had full trust in and someone who he knows he can communicate with etc etc.

I honestly look for Foster to finally get a chance somewhere in this same time frame. Although he may have to go the non-bcs route he will eventually get a shot somewhere. <---- I know foster has said several times that it would have to be the perfect situation, but after him saying that he would be interested in hearing what memphis had to say a few years ago, I question what that perfect situation is. I also feel like if Foster is to leave to HC somewhere he will take Wiles with him as a DC (unless wiles $ wouldnt compare to what he makes at VT as DL coach)

I also figure that Hite and Cav will be fully retired by then and may be replaced by some of the older members of our current staff (Ocain and maybe newsome) I expect that at some point Kevin Sherman may play a larger role in our offense, maybe something like the position that Ocain is in now (playcaller etc).

Basically i see Shane Beamer as the HC and special teams coach of the future, with Torrian Gray as DC, and Cornell as our defensive line coach. Im not sure who i see replacing Beamer as RB coach, but it sure would be cool to have Kevin Jones (if he pans out) in that postition. I dont want to get too carried away with the former players coaching here, but it seems like a lot of our former players are putting themselves into great positions to get back here and really like the idea of coming back to be part of the program.

FWIW: i could see Ocain in basically the same position that Hite is now, with all his coaching experience he'd be a great advisor to Shane. I could also see Newsome in the position that Cav has now. I've been critical of Newsomes coaching but he has some heavy ties to a lot of VA highschools, and would prob fill that roll better than any outside hire that VT could make.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good thread hunz. Always fun to talk about the future. Although I would Be excited to see Shane to take over down the road ( and I think he will at some point), I still think if Bud is here when Frank steps down, he has to get the nod. Say it happens in 5 years. Foster will be around 57yo with 30 years as DC! That will almost as long as SB has been alive! SB will be around 36 with 14-15 years total experience, maybe a few as a coordinator. I would like to see about a 10-12 period for BF, then Shane takes over in his mid-upper 40's. There he could be the king for 25-30 years. Nit saying that will happen, I am surprised we have kept Bud for this long, I am sure he is getting restless for a HC job. But I am with you, not sure if he will get a BCS conf. Job without a pit stop in Conf. USA, MAC, etc.

BdozerVT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree that I would feel bad if SB got the nod over Foster. If Beamer sticks around for about 5 or so more years, I would like to see Bud take over for 10-15. If Bud leaves to become a HC elsewhere before Beamer retires (or moves to an admin role) Then I would like to see things pan out with SB as head coach, Gray as DC, and Ocain as OC and playcaller. I know Ocain is aging as well but this would be in the next 5-10 years.

Of course we need to wait and see how these younger coaches do as well.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have to say that Bud should get the nod if he is around. Tech had basically come out and said that he is the HC in waiting at VT a few years ago. Bud as HC and DC. New OC yet to be named unless the offense really turns around. SB as assistant HC and special teams coach lighting up the recruiting trail.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Upon Frank Beamer's retirement, and beyond that even, Virginia Tech really needs a national coaching search. It's a chance to reevaluate the program and focus on the long term best interests of the football program, athletic program, the university, and the athletes. I would love to see Bud Foster, Shane Beamer, or anyone else on the current staff succeed as the head guy in Blacksburg. However, it is far too easy for us fans to fall into the long-time assistant and son of legend traps. If Virginia Tech goes out, interviews the best available coaches from around the country, and still concludes the future is someone on staff, I will be overjoyed.

With all that said, it's unknown how long Frank Beamer will remain. He's certainly still able to do the job, and it seems obvious to me that he still very much enjoys it. He'll leave it in much better condition than he found it no matter what.

Otherwise, I think this youth movement will slowly continue. Torrian Gray is extremely impressive from what I have seen. Seems like he communicates well with the players, and has a vision and identity for the defensive backfield. I suspect that he will gain more responsibility here and may get notice for an upgrade from other schools soon. We'll have to keep him challenged. Brown will be interesting to watch, and he will certainly give it his all. I think the offense is in transition, so we could see some more moves in the next few years. I'm not a Newsome fan and I'm interested in Stiney's future. I've been very critical of OCain, but after Tyrod's development and Hite's change of duties, I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for now. I think OCain's knowledge and experience is a great asset. In addition to being the super secret OC, I consider him a super secret AHC.

I find this topic particularly interesting, because I personally feel that an era of Virginia Tech football has ended for me. 2004-2010 was incredible, and now we are looking at the same time period into the future. It's baffling what I thought in 2004 compared to what transpired. There were amazing wins and devastating losses that I wouldn't have believed in 2004. There have been incredible players, now forever ingrained in my memory, that I hadn't even heard of in 2004. To project forward is extremely exciting, and I think I will be looking back with the same amazement of today in the future.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing I don't like about a national search for the next HC is the brand of football may change. VT is a defensive team that runs the ball. Special teams and field position. Old NFL champion stuff. Most new coaches now are about flash and points. Outscore your opponent. Aside from the occasional Brady Hoke, Nick Saban, and Les Miles, most coaches don't play VT's brand of football. Our fans love our brand. We love the defense and special teams play. I would be worried we would lose that going outside of the family. That being said I DO believe that new faces and philosophies are good on the staff just not a total overhaul.