• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Corky Miller...

Smoke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How thee hell is this dude in the big leagues? I mean seriously. He looks like a beer league player. Honestly, the Reds don't have anything better at the catcher position in their farm system than Corky? :L

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember thinking the same thing when he was with ATL. Dude is beyond turrible and it is pretty amazing he's still in the bigs.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'd be my third catcher if I needed 3. I don't get it either. GIDP is almost automatic from him and makes the 8-9 spots just automatic outs. Baker is proving to be an ass-kissing fool for these old veterans.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Besides DustMop being and idiot and playing old farts like Corky, Corky has been a road block at home plate. He has about 4 assist outs on people trying to score. If he doesn't know anything else, he knows how to block the plate. See--not getting up from the kitchen table can have its advantages lol

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he probably has helped Cingrani too. So we might be a bit harsh on the Stash.

corky-miller-reds-575x431.jpg

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Pancho Villa in a fat suit.

chico ruiz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a bit harsh? old bitter 1507. you like to take pot shots at miller. that's fine. but, he persevered. many have not. corky has forgotten more relevant and applicable professional baseball know-how than you will ever know. your comments sometimes read like something a child would say. and before you reach for your usual 'too sensitive' or 'thin skinned' repost, reflect on this: don't take your regrets or failures out on a guy giving it his all. some of us sensitive types have sniffed out your rancorous fumes. shelby, or wherever, was a long long long time ago. let it go.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Reds would have been, in hindsight, better off retaining Navarro or Olivo but one can't anticipate Hanigan being down this long. One should probably anticipate catchers being hurt.

This entire episode validates my belief that you sign every catcher you can and find a spot for them on the field wherever you can.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of Hanigan, when is he do to be back? Seems like it should be soon. Unless the Reds inept medical staff have struck again

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw where Hanny is going to start his rehab next week.

John's point on keeping as many catchers around as you can is a great point. I wonder if Olivo had to be let go if he didn't make the 25 man roster. I assumed he might have had that clause in his contract. I think with Dioner being a FA, the Reds were priced out from keeping him.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry Chico, my ultra sensitive defender of all inferiority complexes...feel free to make drunken Indian or Columbus Day jokes at me if you like. Corky is on this team because he has coaching skills, and there aren't better options currently... and his age, genetic imperfections, and weight DO limit his physical skills... Sorry, but sympathy and tolerance just arent acceptable criteria for evaluating performance in the world we live in. Besides, Corky isn't the biggest problem on this team... it's half the lineup that can't hit without a 5 run deficit.

BigBlueNation111

Let The Games Begin!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Besides DustMop being and idiot and playing old farts like Corky, Corky has been a road block at home plate. He has about 4 assist outs on people trying to score. If he doesn't know anything else, he knows how to block the plate. See--not getting up from the kitchen table can have its advantages lol

:laugh3:

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's fair to criticize Corky IF his physical condition is the result of just being out of condition to play regularly at the TOP level of professional baseball. Having him as a working coach (and clearly he's been linked to Cingrani's success) is one thing ... but asking him to contribute on the field twice a week is asking for trouble.

I think Corky knows his role, his limitations and his value. I'd think he would be also clearly able to evaluate the needs of the team. If he's up to bat to do something constructive, then he ought to endeavor to do that.

My guess is he calls a good game. He seems OK defensively and, as was pointed out, is a brick wall at the plate. Don't know about his arm. Our pitchers are doing a MUCH better job holding runners this year. Mesoraco has been worse than we expected on defense and he shows little patience at the plate.

So what do we want? Well, what we NEED is offense. Do we sacrifice defense? What are the alternatives? And Hanigan is not out for, like ... forever.

So we hang in there. I'd rather see Tucker Barnhart than Corky, though.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep reiterating, unless you have Buster Posey and Tulo, you better expect outfielders to hit, and catchers and shortstops to play defense. The problem is that this team always has ar least one outfielder hitting .200. Frazier is hovering around .240, but at least he's not splitting time with Miguel Cairo half the time like Rolen. You just can't have Choo, Phillips and Votto as the only legitimate hitters in the lineup and expect to score enough runs to win... especially plugging a .200 hitter in between them.

chico ruiz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they're going to hit. the steroids era is over. at least the most egregious display. bruce will get hot. by the way, bruce was right. maybe a mlb player shouldn't respond to the gibes from twits sequestered in some affluent community somewhere between dayton and cincinnati. but, i know exactly who he's referring to, and he was right. frazier's at-bats -evaluated on his approach & how much he makes the pitcher work- have been better this year, than last. he's staying back more. you still occasionally see that big sweeping swing over-reaching for a breaking ball, but not nearly as much. he's fouling off a lot of pitches. he's using more of the field trying to move runners. he looks confident at the plate in sacrifice fly situations. so yeah, his average is only .240, but judging just his at-bats -outside the strict parameters of base hits / ab's- i'm seeing improvement from a year ago. overall he seems to be seeing the ball better.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bruce issue really isn't about Corky but I will say this: Bruce needs to remember the first four letters in Twitter.

Frazier, meanwhile, is all the ballplayer I expect him to be. To be honest, I think he's the difference for the Reds this year -- if he steps up and accepts that role. Y'all who remember a guy named Gene Freese from the early 60s ... you can relate to Todd Frazier in the same way.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frazier is doing ok... but his swing looks like shit on a breaking ball... He's usually out on the front foot, and yes, fouling them off gives him another opportunity... but if pitchers can get ahead on him, and finish with the breaking ball, he's going to struggle for average. So far, that's the book on him. His defense has been fine so far, but it's a long season. I have hope for Frazier, because frankly, although Hanahan is a better defender, he's also a .240 hitter that has less power than Frazier, and there just aren't other options at 3b currently.

Outfielders are the most common position player, so why can't the Reds seem to find on that can hit his weight from LF ? It mystifies me.

chico ruiz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i hope that frazier has more than one good year with the reds. freese had a good 1961. i think the reds are looking for more consistency from frazier. 20-25 home runs, 75-80 rbi, and improving defense every year. he is out on the front foot and can look pretty awful sometimes. but, it seems like it's happening less this year, and it's not that he's completely fooled. subtle improvement and adjustments. but, improvement nonetheless.

chico ruiz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 guys are on the DL that play leftfield. i can't begin to speculate on ludwick, and what he wil be capable of, come august. shoulders & obliques? and it's way too early to make any judgement about heisey. i don't expect that he will continue to hit .173. xavier paul has been interesting to watch this year. has anybody else noticed that his bat is a notch quicker this year? he fouls off a lot of 95mph+ pitches. and he's doing it when he apparently is fooled. he catch's up fast. seems like he doesn't have to cheat the heaters at all. darn quick bat.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone has limitations. Bruce has improved his HR production ( assuming this year isn't an anomaly), and he appears to be working on going the other way, but he's still a whiffaholic, probably always will be. I don't see Frazier as a .275 MLB hitter- I think .250 is more likely, but he does have 20-25 HR potential, and if given a logical lineup role and reasonable runners on, that should equate to 75 or a few more RBI. Like Cozart (and Stubbs) Reds farmhands that hit .260 in the high minors aren't likely to translate that into higher averages in MLB, but we can still hope for it... As long as half the lineup isn't starving for lack of execution.

Back to Corky for a sec- I admire the Hell out of Corky...AND his wife for putting up with the nomad life he's had...I just think we need a better everyday C if we want to win, that's all. This team is much better with Hanigan and Cueto, and possibly Ludwick... but so far, I can't see evidence the Reds have lost because of their absence. Everyday position players have been bigger let downs, and the pitching has been quite good.