• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Conference Power Rankings - YTD Review

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah PSU also has a better QB-RB-WR combo than UCF and IU. How'd that work out for them? And if you're basing things off of stuff from last year when we are closer to the end of this season than the beginning I think that is definitely flawed logic.

Not when the coaching staffs and teams are very similar. If anything, that'd strengthen my argument. Teams don't normally get worse when they return starters and coaches, no?

Also, UCF is a top 25 team with a REALLY good RB and a pretty solid QB to go with an aggressive defense, and they've had more recent success than those 4 other ACC teams combined. They beat Louisville and barely lost to SCar. IU is top 10 in the nation in scoring and in passing. Kevin Wilson has something working there. Hell they're tied for the most points scored on Missouri this year, more than SCar, Florida and Georgia, and don't tell me they are even remotely on the level of those 3 teams in recruiting.

What have those 4 ACC teams done this year?

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe bc those three teams suck this year? I sure as hell can't see Nebraska, PSU or Iowa going into Blacksburg and coming out of that game with a win. Say what you want about VT that is still better than anything those 3 teams have done away from home.

And again using past anything is retarded when were talking about what conferences are the best this year.

Eric, it's Duke. Seriously, fucking Duke. That loss said WAY more about VT's weakness than Duke's strength. Are you seriously going to tell me that the football program at Duke is more quality than the programs at the 3 previously mentioned B1G schools? What makes those 3 teams suck, BTW? As I said earlier, I'd give you Duke with 10 points against all 3 of those teams, and hell I'll throw Indiana in there, too.

Last edited by a moderator:

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eric, it's Duke. Seriously, fucking Duke. That loss said WAY more about VT's weakness than Duke's strength. Are you seriously going to tell me that the football program at Duke is more quality than the programs at the 3 previously mentioned B1G schools? What makes those 3 teams suck, BTW? As I said earlier, I'd give you Duke with 10 points against all 3 of those teams, and hell I'll throw Indiana in there, too.

No shit, Duke's program isn't at the level of PSU, Iowa or Nebraska. But how does that translate to THIS year? Again all these trams we are arguing either suck or are mediocre.

And PSU lost a lot on defense from last year, so you can't judge them on how good they were last year and translate it to this year.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No shit, Duke's program isn't at the level of PSU, Iowa or Nebraska. But how does that translate to THIS year? Again all these trams we are arguing either suck or are mediocre.

And PSU lost a lot on defense from last year, so you can't judge them on how good they were last year and translate it to this year.

PSU did lose a lot on defense, that's true. But Nebraska returned almost every key player from a good offense, and that's who I was more referring to.

I've shown at least some kind of argument for the 3 B1G teams. Do you even know anything about those ACC teams or are you just arguing for the sake of arguing at this point?

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PSU did lose a lot on defense, that's true. But Nebraska returned almost every key player from a good offense, and that's who I was more referring to.

I've shown at least some kind of argument for the 3 B1G teams. Do you even know anything about those ACC teams or are you just arguing for the sake of arguing at this point?

Yes and Nebraska has beaten Wyoming, South Dakota St, Purdue, Illinois and Southern Miss. And got blown out at home by UCLA and lost to an average Minnesota team. Sorry if I don't think they are exactly good this year, no matter who the fuck they returned on offense.

And my arguement is on the field results, which comes back to my original point...all these teams are average or below average.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eric getting destroyed here....

Not really.

Sox is the one trying to create some sort of bogus conference power rankings list for 2013, but is bringing up 'recent NFL success' in how he is determining what teams are better. Not necessarily on the field results.

He points out the shortcomings of other programs, yet doesn't use that exact same logic when evaluating teams within the B1G.

There is still ZERO way he can quantify or validate that the middle of the pack teams in the B1G are better than the middle of the pack teams in the ACC, because neither have notable out of conference wins.

Shockingly, a B1G fan wants to totally ignore Strength of Schedule.

This is my last post in this begging for attention thread, but seriously, if I read one more post by Sox where he tries to say 'a healthy Northwestern,' I just may lose it.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes and Nebraska has beaten Wyoming, South Dakota St, Purdue, Illinois and Southern Miss. And got blown out at home by UCLA and lost to an average Minnesota team. Sorry if I don't think they are exactly good this year, no matter who the fuck they returned on offense.

And my arguement is on the field results, which comes back to my original point...all these teams are average or below average.

That UCLA game was one of the most ridiculous games I've ever seen. Nebraska jumps out to a 21-0 lead and then completely falls asleep at halftime. That's an indication of solid talent and bad coaching. Still, if they were able to even do that vs. a team like UCLA, they'd have no problem with any of those ACC teams you mention. If you wanna talk about blowouts, let's talk about Duke getting blown out by a GT team that isn't anywhere near UCLA's level. How about Maryland getting waxed by a bad Wake Forest team, the same Wake Forest team that got smoked at sub-.500 Boston College and lost at home to .500 midmajor ULM. These are bad teams with losses to bad teams. Iowa? Only lost to ranked teams. Penn State has 2 losses to ranked teams and 1 loss to Indiana, not a good team but fuck at least they have a talented offense. Nebraska has lost to ranked UCLA and 6-2 Minnesota.

Once again, there is nothing at all that would suggest that these 4 nobody teams that haven't been good in ages are all of the sudden better or even as good as 3 proven winners. Like I said, you're arguing for the sake of arguing.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really.

Sox is the one trying to create some sort of bogus conference power rankings list for 2013, but is bringing up 'recent NFL success' in how he is determining what teams are better. Not necessarily on the field results.

He points out the shortcomings of other programs, yet doesn't use that exact same logic when evaluating teams within the B1G.

There is still ZERO way he can quantify or validate that the middle of the pack teams in the B1G are better than the middle of the pack teams in the ACC, because neither have notable out of conference wins.

This is my last post in this begging for attention thread, but seriously, if I read one more post by Sox where he tries to say 'a healthy Northwestern,' I just may lose it.

WTF are you talking about? Name one time where I said "recent NFL success" was a reason for one team being better than another.

I started this thread with my own opinion on a topic that has been hotly discussed on here. If you're too dim to contribute anything then by all means, stay out. There's ZERO way I can quantify that Nebraska is better than Duke? I guess by that logic there's ZERO way you can quantify that Baylor is better than Fresno State or that LSU is better than Minnesota. It's called common knowledge of college football. More talent + better coaching = better team. Pretty simple, no?

Jonny Valtimore

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really.

Probably because SOS rankings are greatly skewed based on preseason rankings. SOS has become insanely over-used when discussing how good a team is. Sorry, but getting your ass kicked by Alabama on a neutral field doesn't make you a good team just because it lifts your SOS and useless preseason polls say you're really good.

Regarding Northwestern, it is what it is, but as long as the SEC and co. can constantly use "a healthy Georgia" it isn't going to stop.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That UCLA game was one of the most ridiculous games I've ever seen. Nebraska jumps out to a 21-0 lead and then completely falls asleep at halftime. That's an indication of solid talent and bad coaching. Still, if they were able to even do that vs. a team like UCLA, they'd have no problem with any of those ACC teams you mention. If you wanna talk about blowouts, let's talk about Duke getting blown out by a GT team that isn't anywhere near UCLA's level. How about Maryland getting waxed by a bad Wake Forest team, the same Wake Forest team that got smoked at sub-.500 Boston College and lost at home to .500 midmajor ULM. These are bad teams with losses to bad teams. Iowa? Only lost to ranked teams. Penn State has 2 losses to ranked teams and 1 loss to Indiana, not a good team but fuck at least they have a talented offense. Nebraska has lost to ranked UCLA and 6-2 Minnesota.

Once again, there is nothing at all that would suggest that these 4 nobody teams that haven't been good in ages are all of the sudden better or even as good as 3 proven winners. Like I said, you're arguing for the sake of arguing.

I'm not arguing for the sake of it. All these teams are mediocre and below average. My stance on that won't change. I'm done with this thread. I have no dog in this fight, just stated my opinion. The B1G was extremely better last year than the ACC was, this year not so much.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not arguing for the sake of it. All these teams are mediocre and below average. My stance on that won't change. I'm done with this thread. I have no dog in this fight, just stated my opinion. The B1G was extremely better last year than the ACC was, this year not so much.

If you believe that, what has changed? Nebraska lost last year to UCLA OOC, just like this year. Penn State actually lost two games OOC last year to decent at best teams, while this year they only lost once, close to a pretty good team. Ohio State is still unbeaten. Michigan is arguably an improved team. Michigan State is improved. Iowa is improved. Wisconsin is improved. Northwestern could've been a good team but basically every playmaker they have got hurt.

Meanwhile, in the ACC, it's still Florida State and everyone else. Clemson got smoked by them, and there's still a chance they drop a game to an unranked team (as they have for the last 7 years or so). Va Tech is a mediocre team with a good defense and awful offense. Miami (FL) won an ugly game with a very average Florida team and has escaped the last 2 weeks against very bad teams. Who else is there?

sakau2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably because SOS rankings are greatly skewed based on preseason rankings. SOS has become insanely over-used when discussing how good a team is. Sorry, but getting your ass kicked by Alabama on a neutral field doesn't make you a good team just because it lifts your SOS and useless preseason polls say you're really good.

Regarding Northwestern, it is what it is, but as long as the SEC and co. can constantly use "a healthy Georgia" it isn't going to stop.

plenty of computers don't use preseason bias in their rankings at this point.

you seem like you are upset because your team plays a weak schedule and is being punished for it.

Jonny Valtimore

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

you seem like you are upset because your team plays a weak schedule and is being punished for it.

Had nothing to do with Wisconsin.

Wisconsin was ranked preseason despite a pretty crappy record last year, and for OOC played at ASU and has BYU coming up. I'd say they're doing what they can to make sure they have a good SOS.

EVERY SOS calculation uses a team ranking, correct? How is that derived? What does it start as?

It's all a measure of bias and guessing and suuuch a tired argument.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wisconsin has faced more ranked teams at this point than many top 25 teams, and both were narrow road losses. Why are you being such a jackass? That's the dumbest observation I've ever heard.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Dawg points out our injuries for one reason ... to explain why our ranking in the first month was justified, and why we are unranked now. In other words, when some moron says the pre-season polls are biased, proof being UGa out of the polls right now. Otherwise, my Dawgs are under-achieving. We should have good enough players to step in and be competitive. The loss to Missouri I can understand. The loss to Vandy was inexcusable.

As to NW injuries, I know nothing about them. If the argument is that they were a legit team when OSU played them, but aren't now due to injuries, that is a valid argument if they are injured at that level.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SOS has nothing to do with rankings. It just about how your opponents beat and who thir opponents beat.