• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Conference Power Rankings - YTD Review

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Dawg points out our injuries for one reason ... to explain why our ranking in the first month was justified, and why we are unranked now. In other words, when some moron says the pre-season polls are biased, proof being UGa out of the polls right now. Otherwise, my Dawgs are under-achieving. We should have good enough players to step in and be competitive. The loss to Missouri I can understand. The loss to Vandy was inexcusable.

As to NW injuries, I know nothing about them. If the argument is that they were a legit team when OSU played them, but aren't now due to injuries, that is a valid argument if they are injured at that level.

Venric Mark, their unquestioned best player and one of the top RBs in the B1G, has hardly played and is out for the year. Kain Kolter, one of their two QBs they rotate (he also doubles as a WR), has been hobbled with a busted wrist and shoulder. Christian Jones, their leading receiver from last year, is also dealing with a hurt elbow.

As I said, this isn't a team that can just plug in studs with depth. When major players get hurt on a team like this, it's devastating (as you can see).

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Venric Mark, their unquestioned best player and one of the top RBs in the B1G, has hardly played and is out for the year. Kain Kolter, one of their two QBs they rotate (he also doubles as a WR), has been hobbled with a busted wrist and shoulder. Christian Jones, their leading receiver from last year, is also dealing with a hurt elbow.

As I said, this isn't a team that can just plug in studs with depth. When major players get hurt on a team like this, it's devastating (as you can see).
I don't cut my Dawgs any slack ... if you don't have reasonable depth, you aren't a top team. I criticize my Dawgs for that this year, and we aren't a top team because of it. That said, it is totally understandable so I am not overly upset. We lost arguably the nations top RB, and then our no. 2 RB. WRs 1 - 5 are out, meaning our starting WR was 6 deep at the beginning of the season, and we are playing WRs that were 7, 8, and 9 on the depth chart at the beginning of the year. On the D side, we have been without at least 3 starters every game this year, etc.

I will go with you on NW injuries ... have no reason to doubt you. I watched the OSU v. NW game and they looked good to me that night.

That said, what you just listed is nothing compared to UGa or UF this year. I've been following college football for 45+ years ... I've never seen anything like it in a 3 week period. Crazy shit.

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everybody is overrated.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't cut my Dawgs any slack ... if you don't have reasonable depth, you aren't a top team. I criticize my Dawgs for that this year, and we aren't a top team because of it. That said, it is totally understandable so I am not overly upset. We lost arguably the nations top RB, and then our no. 2 RB. WRs 1 - 5 are out, meaning our starting WR was 6 deep at the beginning of the season, and we are playing WRs that were 7, 8, and 9 on the depth chart at the beginning of the year. On the D side, we have been without at least 3 starters every game this year, etc.

I will go with you on NW injuries ... have no reason to doubt you. I watched the OSU v. NW game and they looked good to me that night.

That said, what you just listed is nothing compared to UGa or UF this year. I've been following college football for 45+ years ... I've never seen anything like it in a 3 week period. Crazy shit.

You have to put it in perspective. Recruiting to UGA and UF is exceptionally easy. First off, you have more talent to choose from in the south/Texas than in the north for the most part. Secondly, and most importantly, the Northwestern academics limit their recruiting abilities immensely. Like I said, unlike Florida and UGA who bring in multiple 4-5* skill players over a 2-4 year period, NW may get one 4* and that's it. It's considerably harder for them to reload.

sakau2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had nothing to do with Wisconsin.

Wisconsin was ranked preseason despite a pretty crappy record last year, and for OOC played at ASU and has BYU coming up. I'd say they're doing what they can to make sure they have a good SOS.

EVERY SOS calculation uses a team ranking, correct? How is that derived? What does it start as?

It's all a measure of bias and guessing and suuuch a tired argument.

um, look at the individual computers as to what they take into account. auburn was ranked #1 in the colley-matrix computer after week 2 or 3. it took into account only games played so far this season. every team started tied for first with an overall rating of 0.500 and they diverge from there.

sakau2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wisconsin has faced more ranked teams at this point than many top 25 teams, and both were narrow road losses. Why are you being such a jackass? That's the dumbest observation I've ever heard.

when you list all the teams wisconsin has beaten this year, how many would you say are solidly in the top 40?

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could you imagine what Big 10 fans would act like if their conference ever actually gets good again? Oh yea, I remember quite well from 2006 and prior. Made SEC fans into what they are now IMO.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could you imagine what Big 10 fans would act like if their conference ever actually gets good again? Oh yea, I remember quite well from 2006 and prior. Made SEC fans into what they are now IMO.

What do you remember? There was never any sort of "Team (enter conference)" before the SEC made it a thing. Also, you live in Texas. Stop being a drama queen.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you remember? There was never any sort of "Team (enter conference)" before the SEC made it a thing. Also, you live in Texas. Stop being a drama queen.

Bullshit, team conference was invented in 2006 by Ohio St and Michigan fans. You guys were so arrogant about the blowout coming poor Florida's way it caused SEC fanboy to be invented after Florida won. It was retaliatory in nature and you guys caused it. Now it's predatory in nature. It's probably just a case of far and away the Big 10 and SEC being the two most passionate collective groups of college football fans I guess. Either way it's pretty typical that these threads are most often started by an SEC fan or Big 10 fan.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bullshit, team conference was invented in 2006 by Ohio St and Michigan fans. You guys were so arrogant about the blowout coming poor Florida's way it caused SEC fanboy to be invented after Florida won. It was retaliatory in nature and you guys caused it. Now it's predatory in nature. It's probably just a case of far and away the Big 10 and SEC being the two most passionate collective groups of college football fans I guess. Either way it's pretty typical that these threads are most often started by an SEC fan or Big 10 fan.

No it wasn't. What the hell are you talking about? OSU and Michigan were talking about how they were the 2 best teams in the nation at the end of the regular season, but there was never any talk about the Big Ten being the best conference in the nation from anyone. We were actually pounding our chests about our TEAM, not our CONFERENCE. Crazy concept these days, it seems. It also didn't cause the "Team SEC" thing at all. Winning 7 NCs in a row did. If Florida won the title in 06 and then the SEC only won maybe 1 other title in the meantime, there would be no "Team SEC".

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can say that was probably part of it. I think it started when Auburn got left out of the NC game back in 03, and then all the B1G leg humping when it looked like there might be a repeat of the OSU v. UM game. There have been threads dedicated to the subject, so there is a lot more to it than that, but it was part of it.

That and the simple, undeniable fact that the SEC is the best. :yahoo:

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either way it's pretty typical that these threads are most often started by an SEC fan or Big 10 fan.
If you counted the number of pro-SEC threads started by SEC fans v. anti-SEC threads started by fans of other conferences, it would be 10-1 in favor of anti-SEC threads, easily. The anti-SEC angst way out strips any bragging done by SEC fans. This can't be denied.

And, I don't really care ... SEC, SEC, SEC. :suds:

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bcs_formula.jpg

(2*opponents wining percentage+opponents opponents record)/3

that was the BCS SOS formula. Nothing about rankings is in the formula.

Jonny Valtimore

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bcs_formula.jpg

(2*opponents wining percentage+opponents opponents record)/3

that was the BCS SOS formula. Nothing about rankings is in the formula.

What???

The BCS SOS is calculated differently in every computer ranking. BCS Strength of Schedule

Also funny, is that the guys running the computer rankings can change their formulas at any time they choose. Sagarin actually changed his just last week. (not saying it helped or hurt anyone in particular, it's just a huge joke and the BCS can't die soon enough)

BucksFanInGA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you counted the number of pro-SEC threads started by SEC fans v. anti-SEC threads started by fans of other conferences, it would be 10-1 in favor of anti-SEC threads, easily. The anti-SEC angst way out strips any bragging done by SEC fans. This can't be denied.

And, I don't really care ... SEC, SEC, SEC. :suds:

Blame ESPN for forcefeeding us the SEC for the better part of a decade...

xpuctaqpGT

Modern Major General
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What???

The BCS SOS is calculated differently in every computer ranking.

Yep. There are a few major differences of philosophy in calculating schedule strength.

First, do you factor in all the teams you played, or only the teams you beat?

Once you decide that, do you factor in the teams that they played/beat? How much weight do you give to your opponents' opponents?

Since each person calculates these things differently, the results vary wildly.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What???

The BCS SOS is calculated differently in every computer ranking. BCS Strength of Schedule

Also funny, is that the guys running the computer rankings can change their formulas at any time they choose. Sagarin actually changed his just last week. (not saying it helped or hurt anyone in particular, it's just a huge joke and the BCS can't die soon enough)
-
that is less of an issue. That was the original BCS SOS formula that was out in print. I believe Colley still uses it. Problem the formulas are no longer in print. Some use FCS, some do not. The bigger issue is that the BCS has ruined computers. The have taken out margin of victory. Looking at Sagarin northern illinios is 3rd in his BCS formula, which he states is garbage, but in his real poll using MOV they are 51st. It is a huge issue.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. There are a few major differences of philosophy in calculating schedule strength.

First, do you factor in all the teams you played, or only the teams you beat?

Once you decide that, do you factor in the teams that they played/beat? How much weight do you give to your opponents' opponents?

Since each person calculates these things differently, the results vary wildly.

Makes no sense to calculate SOS based on whether you won or lost. The degree of difficulty of the schedule is unaffected by the results of your game. Ex. Kentucky and Bama plays the exact same schedule. UK goes 0-11 and Bama goes 11-0. Did Bama play a harder schedule?

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can say that was probably part of it. I think it started when Auburn got left out of the NC game back in 03, and then all the B1G leg humping when it looked like there might be a repeat of the OSU v. UM game. There have been threads dedicated to the subject, so there is a lot more to it than that, but it was part of it.

That and the simple, undeniable fact that Alabama is the best. :yahoo:

FIFY......