• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Conference Expansion

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Texas or no Texas.....

I knew as soon as Texas inked their deal on the Longhorn Network they would alienate the other schools in their current conference and make it next to impossible to join another conference. I applaud the PAC 12 for taking a hard line with Texas.

Greed is the big issue here. Texas appears to be totally unwilling to share ANY of the proceeds from LHN with their current conference or any prospective new conference, even though it would greatly benefit Texas to do so.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like this new ACC is an easier path to a NCG, but allows for a bit of apathy and complacency. Although a harder road, I feel like the Big Ten would force us to continue to get batter and be better prepared too WIN a national title...if that makes sense.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I feel like this new ACC is an easier path to a NCG, but allows for a bit of apathy and complacency. Although a harder road, I feel like the Big Ten would force us to continue to get batter and be better prepared too WIN a national title...if that makes sense.

Yeah...it does make a lot of sense. Plus, I have more interest in possibly joining the Big Ten than I do the SEC. For one thing, the Big Ten academics are much more in line with Tech's standards, and the conference seems to always have a team or two in BCS contention for football.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. The Big Ten would be a perfect fit. I know that working in the ag school for a while, we had great relationships with Iowa, MSU, Purdue and Wisconsin. I would love it if VT and GT made a move to join the Big Ten. We could easily expand the stadium to about 80k and the fanbases up there would be a lot of fun to spend last fall afternoons with. I think it would mean an upgrade to the airport, more hotels and stuff and an all around good move for the community and school.

I don't want to go to the SEC if it means compromising our morals and practices to compete.

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to go to the SEC if it means compromising our morals and practices to compete.

I took a break from worshipping Satan and fucking transexual monkeys to LOL at this.....

:dance:

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I took a break from worshipping Satan and fucking transexual monkeys to LOL at this.....

Damnit! I knew we had that "The South Will Rise Again" meeting today!

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I feel like its ACC or SEC for us. I have not heard anything about the Big 10 concerning us and doubt we will, but you never know.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

It's not that we dislike the SEC, it's just that you guys are like the Sons of Anarchy bad-boy bikers who show up uninvited in full colors and massively high at a big formal church wedding.

Hey, I'm a Virginia native and I've lived in north-central Alabama since 1990. I thought we were a little crazy when I attended Tech, but SEC fans have shown me more than I could have ever imagined.

Sorry to interrupt...back to your Satan-worshipping and :hdn:

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
If the BE is going to split away from the non-football schools, how does that effect Notre Dame? I dont think the basketball schools are going to fork out the cash to keep ND's non-revs afloat. Notre Dame isnt going to the BE for football and the decision makers @ ND seem to like the ACC over the Big10. I know a lot of people arent happy about either A: not leaving the ACC or B: the ACC not openly engaging any "football powers" but if we can ADD ND, i think the ACC will be right on par with the other major conferences.

FWIW and IMO: there are only so many "elite" football schools to go around. If the acc can avoid being raided then the B1G and the SEC arent going to be adding any powerhouse programs either, simply because there arent any. My point is that even though the ACC isnt looked at as a great conference right now, they may be the only conference that truly has a lot to gain by expansion.

IMO the only "elite" teams that seem to be on the table (right now) are ND and TX. Notre Dame has already stated that they would prefer the ACC over any other conference, and im not sure TX will be invited anywhere without coming off of some LHN $.

The pac has stated they have no plan to expand at this time, but if they do it seemed like they would likely take OU and OKst. IMO thats a pretty good football conference but nothing to bow down to. USC and Oklahoma would have been the only 2 schools with national appeal and staying power. (stanford and oregon are up right now but im not sure how long either last)

The big10 has a ton of great schools (Ohio St, Mich, penn st, etc) but without raiding the ACC what great team(s) do they have a chance to add? Basically just some BE schools, nobody, or TX (if any conference takes TX they know they get the baggage that comes along with them)

The Big12 will be fighting for survival, i'd expect them to pick up the remaining pieces of the Big East. Depending on who stays and who goes, they will be a decent conference, but nothing spectacular.

The SEC: again if the ACC stays intact and the SEC stays away from TX, what great football power can they add? Honestly they are already the #1 football conference and adding teams like mizzou, tx a&m, or WVU, doesnt add to their image, if anything it waters it down.

I know a lot of us want to head out of the ACC ASAP, and with the glory some of the other conferences get, its hard not to feel that way. I for one would love playing the alabama, florida, and lsu's, or tOSU, mich, penn states, but in the end we may be better off right where we are.

EDIT: sorry for the jumbled thoughts and mispelled words but there is a shit ton of stuff going on in CFB and Im just not sure how to feel about a bunch of it. On one hand i would love to see VT go! go! go! but on the other hand college athletics are cyclical (imo) and what looks the greatest today may be shit tomorrow.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apology for being long winded and probably jumbled up.

Current ACC + Pitt & Cuse

While this move definitely helped the ACC in basketball by getting two powers and at the same time taking them away from the Big East, it basically nullified any change in football. Pitt is a good addition and while they may not be at the level of FSU and VT currently, they will compete for division championships. Maybe not the favorite in the division, but would be a 2nd-4th place team consistently.

Cuse has not had a good football team since the '90s with McNabb, but they would still be consistently better than WF and Duke.

Essentially, we didn't really help or hurt ourselves regarding football while improving basketball.

Possible 15th & 16th ACC teams?

I, like many of you, would prefer the next two teams (IF the ACC went to 16) to be schools that add something to football regardless of basketball.

Notre Dame: would be a huge get for the ACC. While they aren't elite in football currently, they very well could be given the right circumstances. They draw recruits from around the country and have a huge following. I would put them in the category of Miami and Clemson right now. Have all of the talent, but hasn't put it together at the same time recently. Along with football, their basketball team would be yet another great get for the ACC.

West Virginia: their football team has looked pretty good since the first Big East raid, but again, how much has the "watered down" Big East contributed to that? They are no doubt a good team, but not sure if they could be elite in the ACC. Win the conference from time to time? Probably. Consistently do that? No. Their basketball team would also continue to improve the ACC

Rutgers: Adds nothing

UConn: Adds basketball but nothing in football. Essentially they're Duke from year to year.

USF: Probably too many Florida teams as it is, but they're football team has been doing pretty well with the move to the BE

ECU: Certainly gives us a fight every time we play them, so they would be competitive, but probably never win the conference. More like a UVA that could be a giant killer and have a good season, but wouldn't be able to win enough of them to become the giant.

How do I feel about VT's situation?

Personally, I think we fit in very well with the ACC. While I understand everyone's feelings regarding Tobacco Road and Swofford, the ACC just feels right to me. Maybe it's because I've been born and raised in this area, but I don't see us as an SEC or B1G school. We've always wanted into the ACC and all of our sports teams have improved.

I know football is a driving force behind all of the expansion and in that regard, the ACC hasn't really done anything to improve upon it. However, I still think the ACC has potential to be a force in CFB. Like has already been mentioned, CFB is cyclical. The SEC is currently the most dominant conference in the land and has been so for the better part of the last decade, but they weren't always the best and won't always be the best.

The ACC has the talent to compete with the other conferences as evidenced by the NFL rosters. We have lacked consistent quality coaching and namely big OOC wins either during the season or during bowl games. We've been competitive in those games for the most part, but just haven't gotten over that hump yet.

I would rather stay in the ACC, but if the VT brass decided on a change, I would prefer the B1G over the SEC. We seem to have more in common with B1G teams and either would help recruiting. We would probably have a better chance of competing for a conference championship right away in the B1G as it sits currently and feel like we could be a consistent top 5 team inside the B1G. Regardless, I probably wouldn't be able to make any road games like I can with the ACC. I currently live within driving distance of half of our conference, but not a single B1G or SEC school is within that radius.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've thought about it quite a bit and if all the conference realignment leads to a playoff system rather than the BCS, I'd much rather stay in the ACC. The path to the playoffs would be much easier. As it stands, we're at the top of the ACC and will stay that way. Even if the ACC added Texas, we're still a Top 3 program. A move elsewhere (Big 10, SEC), puts us midpack with work to do to get better. Instead of having a shot at the natty every year, it'll be more like once every 5 years. That's not worth it. Stay in the "weak" ACC and just get that playoff berth because once you're in the playoffs, anything can happen.

Now if they're still going to have a bowl invite system, then yes, we should probably move to a more football oriented conference. It will be just like it is now, "This SEC team has 2 losses BUT faced MUCH tougher competition. Sorry, 1 loss weak conference school, you're not invited".

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wild turkey,

I agree with your assessment when it comes to GETTIG TO a championship game, however I think that we do "have work to do" and have a better shot of winning a championship in a tougher conference because we will get better.

I am also souring more and more on the additions of Pitt and Cuse as the days go by. It hurts us, and does not help us, in my opinion, at all. No time to explain now, but I will later.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
IMO the best thing that can happen for the ACC now is for WVU and Louisville to join the big12, further crippling the BE and leaving Notre Dame with nowhere to turn.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've thought about it quite a bit and if all the conference realignment leads to a playoff system rather than the BCS, I'd much rather stay in the ACC. The path to the playoffs would be much easier. As it stands, we're at the top of the ACC and will stay that way. Even if the ACC added Texas, we're still a Top 3 program. A move elsewhere (Big 10, SEC), puts us midpack with work to do to get better. Instead of having a shot at the natty every year, it'll be more like once every 5 years. That's not worth it. Stay in the "weak" ACC and just get that playoff berth because once you're in the playoffs, anything can happen.

Now if they're still going to have a bowl invite system, then yes, we should probably move to a more football oriented conference. It will be just like it is now, "This SEC team has 2 losses BUT faced MUCH tougher competition. Sorry, 1 loss weak conference school, you're not invited".

You really think we are a middle of the pack team in the B1G? No chance I'm going to agree with that save Nebraska, who we've proven we compete with, and OSU, who gets exposed in big non conference games as bad or worse than Tech.

Adding Pitt and Syracuse does very little to nothing football-wise for the conference but I wont say jump ship just yet. If UConn and/or Rutgers are added, I would be happy to fill out applications myself.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You really think we are a middle of the pack team in the B1G? No chance I'm going to agree with that save Nebraska, who we've proven we compete with, and OSU, who gets exposed in big non conference games as bad or worse than Tech.

Well, if we take a look at the current Big Ten standings and the two major polls, we would be third in the conference:

Wisconsin 3-0 (AP #6, Coaches' #7)
Nebraska 3-0 (#9 both polls)
Tech 3-0 (AP #13, Coaches #11)
Michigan 3-0 (AP #22, Coaches' #21)
Michigan State 2-1 (#23 coaches poll)
Illinois 3-0 (Not ranked)
Iowa 2-1 (Not ranked)
Northwestern 2-1 (Not ranked)
Ohio State 2-1 (Not ranked)
Penn State 2-1 (Not ranked)
Purdue 2-1 (Not ranked)
Indiana 1-2 (Not ranked)
Minnesota 1-2 (Not ranked)

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
More fallout from conference expansion and push-back against Texas' LHN....

Dan Beebe working to leave job as Big 12 Conference commissioner, report says - ESPN

QUOTE:

Big 12 Conference commissioner Dan Beebe is working on an agreement to leave his position, the Kansas City star reported Wednesday night.

The Star cited two sources with knowledge of Beebe's decision.

The Oklahoman reported Tuesday that the University of Oklahoma would only commit to staying in the Big 12 if the conference ousted Beebe as commissioner and added regulations on ESPN's Longhorn Network.