• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Conference Expansion

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big East has football schools? *rimshot*

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big East football schools will meet tues night to discuss future of conference.

Oh to be a fly on the wall at that meeting...

(inside the "leftovers of the Big Least conference room")
Big Least Team 1: Thanks for coming everyone... wait, where's UConn? And Rutgers?
Big Least Team 2: UConn said they had to wash their hair. Rutgers said they're Gym-Tanning-Laundry.
Big Least Team 1: Ok... well, I wanted to say I think we're going to be ok. We've got Baylor, the Kansas boys, TCU and... ummm... Villanova coming our way.

(long silence)

Big Least Team 1: And we can always raid Conference USA again... maybe add Boise?
Big Least Team 2: ... will our teams need travel visas to play at Boise.
Big Least Team 1: No, they're in the U.S. ... ... I think.
Big Least Team 2: Are you sure? There's a town called Moscow down the road from there.
Big Least Team 1: Well, we'll figure that out. So, what do you all think? I think that's an AQ qualifier if I ever saw it!
Big Least Team 2: Oh. Rutgers just tweeted they're going to be "Legendary" soon.
Big Least Team 1: Hmmm, probably means something else.
Big Least Team 2: Now they tweeted "Winter in Michigan never looked so good"
Big Least Team 1: Could me anything...
Big Least Team 2: Yea. Oooh. Another tweet. This one says in all caps - WE ARE B1G BOUND!!! YAHOO!!! YEAH!!! SEE YOU IN HELL BIG LEAST!!! FUCK YES!!!

(long silence)

WVU: Hey y'all, sorry I wuz layte. Ide lyke to comensurate a inter'doocing y'all to mah whyfe... n sister.
Big Least Team 1: There's one girl there...
Big Least Team 2: Oh... ewww
Big Least Team 1: ...
Big Least Team 2: ...
Big Least Team 1: We are sooooooo fucked.

HokieChamp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL i'm enjoying watching WVU panic and implode on their forums

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Yeah im thinking possibly after the season or before next year. Prob be a long while before any other moves are made now IMO.

Hell i hope they all stay the same. I think its reasonable that the ACC will get more $ now so if no one else makes a move that brings us closer to everyone else.

Last edited by a moderator:

rfjeff9

THWG!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,435.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think so? I don't know, if UCONN wants in, will ACC pass it up? I admit, I am shocked it hasn't happened already. I wonder if we are holding that card until ND makes a decision.

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope if we stay at 14, the only tinkering with the current format will be to add Pitt to one division and Syracuse to the other. I don't want to even think of a scenario where the ACC is split into basically the old guard in one division and the old Big East in the other and we go back in time to 2003. YUCK

rfjeff9

THWG!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,435.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably will split them. Makes as much if not more sense than the current divisions.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I just hope if we stay at 14, the only tinkering with the current format will be to add Pitt to one division and Syracuse to the other. I don't want to even think of a scenario where the ACC is split into basically the old guard in one division and the old Big East in the other and we go back in time to 2003. YUCK

Weaver said on the radio show that he would prefer them to be split and doesnt see the ACC going into directional divisions.

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did the ACC jump the gun??? sounds like the pac isnt expanding.

Pac-12 announces it is not expanding

With Oklahomas recent demands, I don't think they'll be happy with the Big XII the way it is. If Texas wasn't open to equal revenue sharing in the Pac, I'm not sure if they'd be open to it in the Big XII. This may open communications with the B1G and OU, maybe.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
With Oklahomas recent demands, I don't think they'll be happy with the Big XII the way it is. If Texas wasn't open to equal revenue sharing in the Pac, I'm not sure if they'd be open to it in the Big XII. This may open communications with the B1G and OU, maybe.

Texas' unwillingness to share revenue from the LHN is going to kill them as far as moving to any other conference. Nobody's going to buy that.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think this is good for the ACC, concerning the Pac12 not expanding. It gives them time to catch their breath and continue to sell its pitch to Notre Dame. It also gives a chance for another school to come along (PSU) that is not even on the radar right now. UConn and Rutgers are desperate moves that will dilute the play and only in play because of the markets they have. The ACC needs to be patient and see what happens to the Big East. If that crumbles, then it makes it more enticing for Notre Dame to consider moving fully into a conference. If the Pac12 had expanding, I was afraid the ACC might get desperate and try to take two more Big East teams to prevent any ACC teams from leaving to the SEC. But now we can wait and put all our money into Notre Dame.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope they add Pitt to the Coastal division. I would much rather play them every year than Cuse. Just something about Cuse I dislike. Maybe it was they let Paulus on there team...

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope they add Pitt to the Coastal division. I would much rather play them every year than Cuse. Just something about Cuse I dislike. Maybe it was they let Paulus on there team...

The fact that they play in a superheated shoe box, maybe?

How can a dome called the "Carrier Dome" not have any climate control. I hate that place.....

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey fellow Hokies, been slammed for a week and not on here. Wasn't even aware that the Big10 was a possibility for us? I had seen that mentioned as a possibility, but nothing concrete until coming into SportsHoopla today. I'm kinda torn on the addition of 'Cuse and Pitt into the ACC. I think it is good, but not necessarily for us. It makes the conference MUCH stronger in basketball, and even more so if UCONN is added later, but that is not really a good thing for VT. Greenburg and Co. are just started getting us consistently competitive in BB, but the addition of these two will drop us down even lower in the ACC BB pecking order. While I like the addition of Pitt from a FB standpoint, not so high on 'Cuse. They have struggled mightily the last several years in the BE and they will do the same in the ACC, at least for awhile. I do however understand why they were added from a $$$ perspective (NY TV market). I feel good knowing that VT WILL be in one of the 4 superconferences but still feel that the ACC will be the weakest of the four, top to bottom. Don't know if that would be good or bad for us. Better competition= better players, better teams, and NC possibilities---weaker competition=more wins, more conf. championships, less respect. My heart is in the ACC but my gut tells me still, if the Big10 or SEC comes a callin', to bolt where will be in a much stronger FB conference, and a BB conf. that we can still be competitive in....

Last edited by a moderator:

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that they play in a superheated shoe box, maybe?

How can a dome called the "Carrier Dome" not have any climate control. I hate that place.....

LOL at the Jiffy Pop Dome. If UConn gets invited, that also means Frank will have the chance to coach against Paul Passthebologna again.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A few interesting tweets....

chriscolston Chris Colston
Per Warchant.com, If #ACC expands, Florida State Board of Trustees chair Andy Haggard would prefer schools with strong football traditions.
10 minutes ago

He says that would satisfy FSU contingent pushing for the #SEC. Loves idea of adding Texas, but ACC wants no part of Texas Tech.
7 minutes ago

Per Rivals article, interesting that ACC considered $34 million buyout penalty. Maryland + FSU argued that down to $20 mil. (Was $16 M).
4 minutes ago

However, per Warchant.com, Haggard insists FSU move to SEC "isn't happening."
3 minutes ago

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
what is the big prob with TX tech? i assume academics and small endowment?

FWIW im glad to hear that at least one ACC school has football as a top priority, i hope that VT, Clemson, GT, and Miami are beating the same drum.