• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Conference Expansion

BdozerVT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I know everything currently being discussed are all rumors and hold absolutely no weight...but the ACC expanding again is still a possibility.

Most of the chatter I have been hearing for a month or so now is adding WVU and possibly Pitt.

Probably the only thing positive I would really like about this is being able to play WVU again. Not that I would travel to a game at WVU (neutral site please?), but it is definitely a rivalry I have missed. I believe the main arguments against WVU are weak academics and that we wouldn't be expanding our TV market very much (they dont have TVs).

As for Pitt, it would definitely help out are declining bball reputation. However, I read a good point someone brought it and it is that Penn State definitely dominates the PA TV market. The only way I see Pitt bring brought in is if they are a packaged deal with another team.

Ignoring academics, I am all for WVU, but not sold on Pitt. I would like to take Syracuse as I was more for them than BC from the beginning. Perhaps being in the ACC will open more doors for recruiting for Syracuse and they could become a respectable team again.

It's always fun to speculate the next round of realignments and shakeups, what are everyone's thoughts on another possible ACC expansion?

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if we add pitt and wvu we could split the conference into north/south. i'd like this kind of expansion, 2 perennially tougher opponents in our region (more or less). the ACC would control the tv market for virginia/maryland/west virginia completely.

north- bc, pitt, wvu, maryland, virginia, virginia tech, wake

south- unc, nc state, duke, clemson, georgia tech, miami, fsu

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
with all the new TV deals in CFB, i personally dont look for anymore conference expansion anytime soon.

FWIW though i think the big east could benefit more from expansion than any of the other conferences. There are some pretty decent football schools they could grab up also.---->UCF, ECU, Marshall, etc etc etc. The big east needs to lump all the BBall only schools into a seperate division or let them form their own conference and try to get to 12 in football with a BEcg.

Also fwiw i really wish every BCS conference would go to 12 teams and a cg. -----> i think that would drastically improve the BCS.

Disclaimer: i am anti playoff in cfb.

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with hunz, no major expansion in the next few years. If there was expansion though, I would venture to say WVU would not be included. ACC will always pride themselves on academics, and that would leave WVU out. Most likely, I believe we would see Pitt and UCONN from the big east if ACC ever went to 14 teams.

I am glad all the talk of 16 team mega conferences has died. I think 12 is a good number for conferences. As Hunz said, every BCS conference should expand to 12. I think that will happen eventually with Big East and Big 12 taking in more teams.

BdozerVT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Agree with hunz, no major expansion in the next few years. If there was expansion though, I would venture to say WVU would not be included. ACC will always pride themselves on academics, and that would leave WVU out. Most likely, I believe we would see Pitt and UCONN from the big east if ACC ever went to 14 teams.

I am glad all the talk of 16 team mega conferences has died. I think 12 is a good number for conferences. As Hunz said, every BCS conference should expand to 12. I think that will happen eventually with Big East and Big 12 taking in more teams.

Yeah I would be ok with UCONN as well. Will be interesting to see how they do this yeah, if they can continue to have success.

As far the the 16 team conference talk, its only dead until its back again. One conference makes a move and everyone rallies their troops. I agree things will stay quiet for a year, maybe 2...but its bound to happen again.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would support Pitt but not WVU. I would love to see VT play WVU again to get the rivalry going but I don't think they are good for the conference. ECU wouldn't add anything to the conference. We already have the market and the Carolina area is saturated for recruiting. UCONN would be a possibility if they are able to keep the pace as stated above. The conference would be insane for basketball then. The other school that could be an interesting add would be Louisville. They are kind of far West but BC is also pretty far north... Decent program on the rise in football and basketball would be a solid add. I would rather keep it at 12. As much as I hate having BC in the ACC, I think they are better to have than any other of the listed schools. They can recruit well in the NE when they are good and good academics.

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i would not like uconn at all. i dont see their football program having much potential of advancement past where they made it last year to be honest. i'd rather have syracuse or rutgers over them if we couldn't add WVU.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know last year there were some rumors that the SEC could "possibly" be looking at VT if they were to try and expand to 14-16(which makes sense to me)...Has any one heard any more rumors on this?? Not that it is true, or would actually happen if the SEC was courting us. Just an interesting thought. I thought I heard that some of the Big 12 schools would be in the mix as well, especially now that Nebraska and Colorado have/will leave. How about Oklahoma, Texas added to the West, VT and say another (fill in the blank) in the East....Yikes. Not sure that would be good for our program..but then again...I know this will not happen for awhile, but I feel there will be another major conference realignment in the next 5 years.

goDAWGSsicem

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know last year there were some rumors that the SEC could "possibly" be looking at VT if they were to try and expand to 14-16(which makes sense to me)...Has any one heard any more rumors on this?? Not that it is true, or would actually happen if the SEC was courting us. Just an interesting thought. I thought I heard that some of the Big 12 schools would be in the mix as well, especially now that Nebraska and Colorado have/will leave. How about Oklahoma, Texas added to the West, VT and say another (fill in the blank) in the East....Yikes. Not sure that would be good for our program..but then again...I know this will not happen for awhile, but I feel there will be another major conference realignment in the next 5 years.

If the SEC expanded to 14, I believe that Texas A&M and Clemson would be the first ones invited. Then VT and another more westerly team, if it went to 16 teams.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I want nothing to do with the SEC, but I am in the minority.

I would like to see us go pro-active in expansion however and approach Pitt, even if it means adding WVU. Western Pennsylvania are some fertile recruiting grounds and Pitt fits the ACC mold as far as a big time academic research university as well. There have been discussions already, FWIW.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My five year from now prediciton, FWIW:

PAC 12 adds Texas, Texas Tech, BYU and TCJ

Big 10 adds Missouri, Notre Dame, Rutgers and Kansas

SEC adds Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Baylor

ACC adds Pitt, WVU, UCONN and Syracuse.

The BCS says fuck you to the NCAA...

We have our playoff......sort of....

iruletheskool

iruleiskool
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
VT for B1G

(I heard a rumor couple weeks ago about the B1G possible seeking Maryland and GT fwiw (hope not))

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure it would be good for our program either 46. But if (BIG IF) we were extended an invite we would definitely have to consider it because of the $$$$ that would be involved. We would own VA, MD, DC and to an extent NC in recruiting IMO.

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a hell of an article...

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Tons of faulty logic and statistics in that article. They are blending internet searches with the base population of random media market lines. Then they "corrected" by adding factors involved with USA Today's revenue data. Needless to say, I'd read with skepticism.

Example: There is no way in hell Georgia Tech has twice as many fans as Florida State.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A whole lot of words that could basically be summed up to "The South loves football" and "Notre Dame still has fans".

rfjeff9

THWG!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,435.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WOW, that was an awesome article. I'm saving the link to read again.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Big East football schools will meet tues night to discuss future of conference.