• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

expansion to 32 teams

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There will always be a buffer pool of players.

if you just going to include the top 10 players, than the numbers 11-15 players will feel snubbed or blocked. If you are only talking about the top 100 players, than players 101-125 will feel blocked.

we are currently talking about the top 780 players (26 * 30), so numbers 781 - 900 or so complain. If we change that to 832 players, numbers 833 - 1000 or so are “blocked”.

again.. we will have to wait to see how expansion is going to affect the minor leagues... I am basing my opinions on my hope that adding 2 more teams in each level, will decrease the need for so many levels... right now there are 4 levels... if adding 2 more teams, they can make it 3 levels then it could create a more direct path...

and it would also be better for the never will bes... they can get out of the minor leagues and try a different league whether its one of the independent leagues or a league in another country...

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Ray's need to bite the bullet and just move to Montreal.
Are we certain Montreal will support them? They didn't support the Expos or they'd still be there. That terrible stadium didn't help of course.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we certain Montreal will support them? They didn't support the Expos or they'd still be there. That terrible stadium didn't help of course.
Bad stadium and an ownership group that didn’t give a shit. They didn’t even have an English speaking broadcast team the last few years in Montreal.

Are we CERTAIN Montreal would support a ”new” team? Of course not. I am not CERTAIN the sun will rise tomorrow. I would place the likelihood that Montreal would support the Rays (or an expansion team) somewhere between “absolutely not” and “as certain as I am that the sun will rise tomorrow”.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad stadium and an ownership group that didn’t give a shit. They didn’t even have an English speaking broadcast team the last few years in Montreal.

Are we CERTAIN Montreal would support a ”new” team? Of course not. I am not CERTAIN the sun will rise tomorrow. I would place the likelihood that Montreal would support the Rays (or an expansion team) somewhere between “absolutely not” and “as certain as I am that the sun will rise tomorrow”.
I find Montreal a weird baseball town... we are talking about French Canada and a full team of latinos... just saying I'm not surprised that it didn't work the first time(even if my reasons are not important)

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
contraction would be better

havent won a title in 30 years? you're gone. sorry

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
contraction would be better

havent won a title in 30 years? you're gone. sorry

Figure It Out What GIF by CBC

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But how cool would it be to see the Astros be the only team in their division?

Huh…. Huh?
Assuming 2020 doesn’t count, the NL West would only have 2 teams as well…

The Giants and…

The Arizona Diamondbacks

LOL

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think once a team is booted from the league that city can get another team after a 10 year waiting period, but the new team must be called the Ravens. But if they can win a series as the Ravens they can take their old name back.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tax payers paying for all these expansions teams stadium or ownership?

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming 2020 doesn’t count, the NL West would only have 2 teams as well…

The Giants and…

The Arizona Diamondbacks

LOL
I get why you'd want to discount the 2020 season, but let's be serious-We've got universal DH, multiple Wild Card teams, pitch clocks, even ghost runners for crying out loud. We're way past just tossing out the results of something that actually happened just because the season didn't play out the way our grandfathers envisioned.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand this view... and it is not wrong...
But I don't think it matters... first off teams that pay for players will still pay for players, and teams that don't still won't... the A's are not bad because of a lack of MLB level players around baseball, many teams have bench players that would start for any other team and many teams have minor leaguers ready to play, but don't come up because they are being blocked or because of money issues...

so expansion should actually help this, because they will be taking players from every team, which wlll actually allow many of these blocked players to play...

also in the future, it will make the MLB draft more important, and teams will take scouting more seriously.... right now the draft is so backwards, they care more about signing bonuses, and care more about potential than they do about being actually good...

I also hope that expansion will actually lessen the need for so many levels in the minor leagues... if it decreases that, then it will be harder to block players... it will ultimately make teams play their best players!!!

That won’t change on the draft

Guys don’t walk in and play day 1

Guys need to develop

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tax payers paying for all these expansions teams stadium or ownership?
tax payers be payin for everything. That's why I'm a conscientious objector to taxes based on my beliefs in the teachings of L Ron Hubbard.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That won’t change on the draft

Guys don’t walk in and play day 1

Guys need to develop

sure... but i am not sold that it takes as long to develop as teams claim... and even if it does, that will make the draft more important... as of now, teams care more about upside than they do about READYness... when you can just send a player to the minors for development, there is no need to worry about them in the MLB for a while... teams dont draft by position, or anything...

Maybe with a more direct path to the majors from draft, teams will draft better, scout better, and pay better...

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sure... but i am not sold that it takes as long to develop as teams claim... and even if it does, that will make the draft more important... as of now, teams care more about upside than they do about READYness... when you can just send a player to the minors for development, there is no need to worry about them in the MLB for a while... teams dont draft by position, or anything...

Maybe with a more direct path to the majors from draft, teams will draft better, scout better, and pay better...

Almost no player is ready at the draft

And those relievers most say are…usually aren’t

Baseball has the biggest learning curve by far of any pro sport for a reason

But 2020 showed up some of these guys are held back too long.

But the rules encourage it