• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Commissioner Rob Manfred: Expansion to 32 Teams Inevitable

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Move the Rays to Nashville, bring back the Montreal Expos and award a team to Mexico City.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would be interesting. Charlotte, Montreal, Portland, San Antonio and Nashville would all be my picks to be among the 2 teams.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could Cuba support an MLB team?

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would be interesting. Charlotte, Montreal, Portland, San Antonio and Nashville would all be my picks to be among the 2 teams.

I'd possibly throw New Orleans and Oklahoma City in the mix as well.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh...no wacked out realignment scenarios yet? Come on, guys!

There's already too many teams in the Northeast, we need some more out west, like Boise Idaho, or Casper Wyoming.

Tampa is the sticky wicket; they're all by their lonesome way down there. The nearest AL teams to them are Baltimore and Houston...maybe Cincinnati is closer than Houston, I'm a busy man so I haven't checked.

So, if you stuck anybody on the Eastern seabord like Charlotte, they'd probably be in the AL and in a division w/the Rays, but who else gets moved? You would have to go to a four-team, four-division setup. You gonna take Baltimore away from the AL East, or the Reds out of the ALC? I started running scenarios and I run into a problem with the Texas teams and the West coast teams. No matter how one slices it, somebody is going to have an awful lot of intra-divisional travel that they are unaccustomed to.

The other possibility is to have the new AL team out west and in a division with the Mariners, Angels, and Athletics, but then you still would need to move a team from the current AL East or Central to be with Houston, Texas, and Tampa.

It seems like the current AL and NL that we know may become a thing of the past. We might actually see an east division that has both New York teams (which would really suck), or a West division with both the Dodgers and Angels.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's one stab at keeping most of the current divisions together:

AL Northeast:
Toronto
Boston
New York
Detroit

AL Midwest:
Minnesota
Chicago Sox
Kansas City
Cleveland

AL West:
Seattle
Oakland
Anaheimgeles
Vegas

AL South:
Houston
Texas
Tampa
Baltimore

NL Northeast:
Philadelphia
New York
Milwaukee
Pittsburgh

NL Midwest:
Cincinnati
Colorado
St. Louis
Chicago Cubs

NL West:
San Francisco
Los Angeles
San Diego
Arizona

NL South:
Washington
Atlanta
Miami
Charlotte

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Colorado gets screwed in my above scenario, but the other option was to move them to the AL West, and then there would still be somebody else who would have a lot of new dance partners.

I would imagine they could go back to a balanced schedule with 8 divisions

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

AL Northeast:
Toronto
Boston
New York
Detroit

AL Midwest:
Minnesota
Chicago Sox
Kansas City
Cleveland

AL West:
Seattle
Oakland
Anaheimgeles
Vegas

AL South:
Houston
Texas
Tampa
Baltimore

NL Northeast:
Philadelphia
New York
Milwaukee
Pittsburgh

NL Midwest:
Cincinnati
Colorado
St. Louis
Chicago Cubs

NL West:
San Francisco
Los Angeles
San Diego
Arizona

NL South:
Washington
Atlanta
Miami
Charlotte
I think that is pretty good. I think it is important to keep the existing teams in the same league they are in right now. Also, Colorado is going to be kind of isolated no matter which division they are in so I think it is fine to put them in the central.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that is pretty good. I think it is important to keep the existing teams in the same league they are in right now. Also, Colorado is going to be kind of isolated no matter which division they are in so I think it is fine to put them in the central.

Yeah, if Vegas came into the league they'd instantly be a natural rival for Denver but it's hard to fit them into the same division. They could at least be Interleague rivals.

Also didn't like throwing Milwaukee in with NY and Philly, but would LOVE to have the Pirates back in the East.

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh...no wacked out realignment scenarios yet? Come on, guys!

There's already too many teams in the Northeast, we need some more out west, like Boise Idaho, or Casper Wyoming.

Tampa is the sticky wicket; they're all by their lonesome way down there. The nearest AL teams to them are Baltimore and Houston...maybe Cincinnati is closer than Houston, I'm a busy man so I haven't checked.

So, if you stuck anybody on the Eastern seabord like Charlotte, they'd probably be in the AL and in a division w/the Rays, but who else gets moved? You would have to go to a four-team, four-division setup. You gonna take Baltimore away from the AL East, or the Reds out of the ALC? I started running scenarios and I run into a problem with the Texas teams and the West coast teams. No matter how one slices it, somebody is going to have an awful lot of intra-divisional travel that they are unaccustomed to.

The other possibility is to have the new AL team out west and in a division with the Mariners, Angels, and Athletics, but then you still would need to move a team from the current AL East or Central to be with Houston, Texas, and Tampa.

It seems like the current AL and NL that we know may become a thing of the past. We might actually see an east division that has both New York teams (which would really suck), or a West division with both the Dodgers and Angels.

There are about six people living between Minnesota and Washington state, and one of them is that pothead @Mondo Jay. There's no way to support a team up there.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, if Vegas came into the league they'd instantly be a natural rival for Denver but it's hard to fit them into the same division. They could at least be Interleague rivals.

Also didn't like throwing Milwaukee in with NY and Philly, but would LOVE to have the Pirates back in the East.
Yeah, I think it would be better to have Washington in the East instead of Milwaukee, but then I don't know how you fix the domino effect that it would have on the rest of the teams, unless you put St. Louis in the South. (so I think I would go with what you have)

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think it would be better to have Washington in the East instead of Milwaukee, but then I don't know how you fix the domino effect that it would have on the rest of the teams, unless you put St. Louis in the South. (so I think I would go with what you have)

We could always send Milwaukee back to the AL

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We could always send Milwaukee back to the AL
Yeah, the only way I could see to do that would be to put Milwaukee in the AL midwest, move Minnesota to the AL West, Washington to the NL East, and Vegas to the NL South (also move to Nashville), but that is a lot of maneuvering.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

AL Northeast:
Toronto
Boston
New York
Detroit

AL Midwest:
Minnesota
Chicago Sox
Kansas City
Cleveland

AL West:
Seattle
Oakland
Anaheimgeles
Vegas

AL South:
Houston
Texas
Tampa
Baltimore

NL Northeast:
Philadelphia
New York
Milwaukee
Pittsburgh

NL Midwest:
Cincinnati
Colorado
St. Louis
Chicago Cubs

NL West:
San Francisco
Los Angeles
San Diego
Arizona

NL South:
Washington
Atlanta
Miami
Charlotte

I'll take a shot, except I'll use Nashville and Portland as two expansion teams, along with a few other changes.

AL East - Toronto, Boston, New York Yankees, Baltimore
AL North - Detroit, Cleveland, Chicago White Sox, Minnesota
AL South - Kansas City, Texas, Houston, Colorado
AL West - Seattle, Portland, Oakland, LA Angels of Anaheim

NL East - New York Mets, Philadelphia, Washington, Pittsburgh
NL North - Milwaukee, Chicago Cubs, Cincinnati, St. Louis
NL South - Nashville, Atlanta, Miami, Tampa Bay
NL West - San Francisco, Arizona, San Diego, Los Angeles Dodgers

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take a shot, except I'll use Nashville and Portland as two expansion teams, along with a couple other changes.

AL East - Toronto, Boston, New York Yankees, Baltimore
AL North - Detroit, Cleveland, Chicago White Sox, Minnesota
AL South - Kansas City, Texas, Houston, Colorado
AL West - Seattle, Portland, Oakland, LA Angels of Anaheim

NL East - New York Mets, Philadelphia, Washington, Pittsburgh
NL North - Milwaukee, Chicago Cubs, Cincinnati, St. Louis
NL South - Nashville, Atlanta, Miami, Tampa Bay
NL West - San Francisco, Arizona, San Diego, Los Angeles Dodgers

I like that better than mine...keeps most of the old rivalries intact... and the teams that switch leagues are expansion-era clubs who don't have 100 year histories with any rivals